SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2003, 02:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley 302 ERA 055 427 so tunelport twins
Not Ranked     
Default ERA vs EVERITT MORRISON

I,ve decided to sell my shell valley and was thinking of an ERA, but now that E.M. is back, should I look at them?
How do they compair?
Terry
Old 11-06-2003, 02:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. FIA #2088 1964 289 w/Webers
Not Ranked     

Chevy Cobra Vs. Ford Cobra....HHHmmmm....
Old 11-06-2003, 03:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett/Morrison- Boss 302 Stroked W/351W heads and a whole bunch of ponies
Not Ranked     

This is a tuff one

My EM is 13 years old and it's solid as a rock. My long term goal is to someday hit the big 6 on the lottery and buy the badest Kirkham I can find. But in the real world, I would buy another EM in a heart beat. they are solid and well engineered.

However, ERA makes a hell of a car and they too have been around for a long time.

That's my 2 cents worth.

Everyday is a Holiday ... every meal is a banquet.
Old 11-06-2003, 03:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA / SA 351W / a truly glorious machine
Not Ranked     

Of course look at them....Why not

Hector,

Just curious, why would it be a Kirkham replica and not a CSX replica??????
Old 11-06-2003, 03:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett/Morrison- Boss 302 Stroked W/351W heads and a whole bunch of ponies
Not Ranked     

I see no use in having to pay a premium to have a car that the only difference (between Kirkham and Shelby America) will be the serial number. I use the car often and would never buy one to be a trailer queen or as an investment.

Everyday is a Holiday ... every meal is a banquet.
Old 11-06-2003, 03:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham#182/Shelby 496c.i.
Not Ranked     
Default Re: ERA vs EVERITT MORRISON

Quote:
Originally posted by mrvinylman

I,ve decided to sell my shell valley and was thinking of an ERA, but now that E.M. is back, should I look at them?
How do they compair?
Terry

Let me preface this by saying this is only my opinion.

Are you crazy!
Old 11-06-2003, 04:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. FIA #2088 1964 289 w/Webers
Not Ranked     

I agree! Why buy a Shelby replica? It's still a replica!!! I know this is just my opinion & everyone is entitled their own but I would rather own a Kirhkam 427 than a Shelby & an ERA FIA over either a Shelby or a Kirkham FIA car. It really boils down to what gets your goat. I know what gets mine
Old 11-06-2003, 04:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 (KMP 266); CAV GT40
Not Ranked     

nothing wrong with an EM but it really is not in the same league(at least previous cars) as ERA.However,I suspect ERA is much more expensive. chuck
Old 11-06-2003, 04:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Default Different cars

IMO these are very different cars...with different angles and potential customers.

ERA/More traditional build:
Most, but not all people that build and buy ERAs seem to set them up and stick to an originality type theme right down to the engines, transmissions, wheels, latches, fittings, paint color, nut and bolts, etc...

EM/Various options:
With the EM, it appears there are several different engine, drivetrain, suspension options that are open and accepted for consideration and accepted later for resale. Ford or Chevy motors. Ford, Chevy, or totally custom suspensions, etc. Ford 302/351/4.6?, or whatever Chevy 327/350/BB you want.

If you want to go more customized, the EM might be better. If you you want to take the more traditional build approach, maybe the ERA would be a good choice. There is a notable price difference with these cars new and used. Good Luck.
Old 11-06-2003, 05:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #623 460/4x2
Not Ranked     

The only thing I dont like about the E&M and the Lonestar is the engine bay has a (cutout)? Around the edges. I think some of you know what I mean. I dont think they look right. Does anyone know what they are called?

I feel the ERA fit and finish is superior.
Old 11-06-2003, 05:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Re: Different cars

Quote:
Originally posted by decooney

If you want to go more customized, the EM might be better. If you you want to take the more traditional build approach, maybe the ERA would be a good choice. There is a notable price difference with these cars new and used. Good Luck. [/b]

Duane pretty much has it correct in my opinion. BIG price difference in the two brands but both great cars... Sounds like price is no object to Vinylman so go with the ERA.
and remember there is a used car market out there....I was on CobraCountry earlier looking at used cars and it looked a little leaner than in months past... Lots of Superformance cars and a few Uniques..

Last edited by casaleenie; 11-07-2003 at 06:38 AM..
Old 11-06-2003, 06:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley 302 ERA 055 427 so tunelport twins
Not Ranked     

I'v been keeping my eyes open, but I havn,t seen many used ERA's out there.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

mrvinylman,

I come across used ERAs from time to time, helping friends that are looky-Lous. There are at least three/four in the US right now, just surfing regular sites on the web. Just need to know where to look...

Send me a PM stating your price cap, and "must-have" requirements for an ERA. If you are looking for a used ERA for the price of a used EM, its going to be a long long wait. I've built both ERA and Unique 427/SCs. SPFs are nice cars too and worth considering for value, quality, and performance. I'd willingly own any of these three cars in the future.

Last edited by decooney; 11-06-2003 at 08:09 PM..
Old 11-07-2003, 06:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR SLC, Graziano 6-spd, LS3
Not Ranked     

I have to disagree with those above who say ERA is superior to EM. I Looked extensively at both and visited the EM factory. EM's fit in finish is the best in the industry. If you're into originallity, an EM can be built to be very original and even has a tubular frame like the original. The standard wheelbase EM also has significantly more legroom than an ERA.

I don't know why people call EM a "Chevy Cobra" just because they have an option for a Chevy engine and Corvette suspension. They also offer Ford and Jag suspension options, Ford and even Mopar engines.

Pete

Last edited by PSB; 11-07-2003 at 06:37 AM..
Old 11-07-2003, 06:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

PSB,

The Chevy engine option is going to be a lot more prevalent in the very near future... It will be an additional split and source for entertainment on this forum... BB/SB, Real or Really Real, Ford/Chevy....Ford or Chevy/BB-SB etc...
Can't see why the Chevy engine will not be an option in several mfgs. offerings..

You're correct that the EM fit and finish is ONE of the best in the industry.. But, I still think that the ERA is a cut above..
Just an opinion...of course I'm absolutely right, but it's just an opinion....
Old 11-07-2003, 06:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #629, BBM Side Oiler Block, 482ci, Richmond 5 speed
Not Ranked     

When I was trying to narrow down what kit to buy, I saw an EM at a local car show. I eliminated them from my list because this particular EM had significant gelcoat cracking in a starburst pattern on the door right at the latch. If I recall it was a fairly old EM and I don't know that that's a systemic problem with EM but it was enough to make me scratch them from my list.
Old 11-07-2003, 07:06 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

PSB-
I must respectfully disagree with you. Although EM is a very nice car and the fit and finish on the ones that I've seen has generally been excellent, I wouldn't go as far as to say that EM's "fit and finish is the best in the industry." That is a bit of a stetch. There are several manufactures whose fit and finish is at least equal to, and some would argue better, than EM's.

Also, EM and ERA are very different. I don't pretend to know whether EM or ERA is "superior" from an engineering/design standpoint, but I do know that when it comes to replicating the appearance of an original cobra, the ERA is hands down the more accurate replica. If you look at the back of the two, the EM rear deck seems lower, sleeker and not as full-bodied as the ERA (the rear deck of an EM is similar to a Unique in that regard). ERA, however, is a dead ringer for the shape of an original and it's interior is more faithful to an original.

For these reasons, ERA was the "superior" car IMO because I wanted something that from the outside looked exactly like an original, but had improvements where they couldn't be seen. And after looking at all the manufactures out there (excluding CSI and Kirkham b/c they weren't in the budget at the time) I decided ERA was "superior."

That's my .20

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 11-07-2003, 07:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

why bother with anything other than an SPF?
(250hp shot)
802hp total
titanium\black stripes
Old 11-07-2003, 07:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Question

Well I finally decided maybe I should look at this thread.

From the title ERA vs EM I thought it was probably a "joke" thread.

I mean you guys aren't serious, are you? What next, a comparison of quality and originality between an FFR and a CSX4000 series car? Hmmmm,,,,,,,,,,,now that really would be a joke!

Shelby vs Kirkham, now THERE is a worthy comparison. Shelby supplies MANY of their own parts and install said parts on the bare bones Kirkham body/frame. When there done it is in fact a "Shelby" creation. Theres far more to a Shelby than "just" a CSX number. The price difference? NOT nearly as much as people think when the two cars have similiar options!

Ernie

JMHFO
Old 11-07-2003, 07:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR SLC, Graziano 6-spd, LS3
Not Ranked     

Ooops.....forgot where I was.....here's the Club Snob..er..Cobra politically correct answer:

If it's not an ERA, Shelby, or SPF it's CRAP! If it doesn't have an FE (unless it's an SPF), it's CRAP!

Is that better?

Pete