SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2004, 01:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default jackl

Hi,
Because of the low clearance and sidepipes, it is always a little more work to get my car up on jack stands. I usually drive it up on two-by-fours and then use a low profile jack before using a bigger jack and so on. This whole process would be a lot easier with a narrow, low profile jack. To get in between the exhaust and the front or rear wheel, the jack can be no more than five inches wide. And the most convenient would be lift from four inches to 20. It would also be great to be able to lower the car slowly. Some jacks do while others offer a freefall. I have six jacks in the garage including my latest additon from Craftsmen that goes from 4 inches to 20 in two lifts and only weighs about 35 pounds. But (!) it is too wide. Question: can anybody recommend a jack or supplier or have other brilliant ideas on how to do this short of a lift? Thanks.
Irv
ERA 427
Old 02-29-2004, 01:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Just how low is your car?

I jack up the front with a standard floor jack by going in diagonally just in front of the front tire. You can pick up the front crossmember that way.

In the rear, go straight in from the back with the jack centered. You can jack on the subframe or the differential casting.
Old 02-29-2004, 02:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

Irv,
I use a small scissor jack from a Honda (cheap at the recycle yard). Put it under one side of your frame to jack the car up just enough to get a heavy-duty floor jack in from the rear. Goes right under your sidepipe and wallah. Easy..., takes 30 seconds or less. Try it.
Old 02-29-2004, 04:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default more on jacks

Car is LOW. I have less than four inch clearance under the car. Three inches or less under the exhaust. And, I have a scissor jack, too. Just hoping to find an easier way of doing this. A narrow, low profile jack that can lift from less than four inches to about 20 or more would just make my garage life easier.
Irv
Old 03-01-2004, 06:40 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Harbor freight has an aluminum jack the saddle starts at 3.5" high and goes to 17.5" the overall height is 6.1" high so I don't know if that would let you in far enuff.
Old 03-01-2004, 06:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A & C, 351W, Tremec 3550. Exiled Member: Club Cranky
Send a message via ICQ to Roscoe
Not Ranked     

I've got one of those Harbor Freight jacks. Really nice and only weighs around 37 pounds. Six pumps for full extension.

Matter of fact they are on sale now for 89.95

http://www.harborfreight.com/

Roscoe
Old 03-01-2004, 06:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Hey Roscoe, nice pic. When I scroll up and down on it I swear the handle is pumping?! If you join the Harbor Freight Inside Track club you get even better deals on the stuff. Some of it's cheepo chinese, some is good stuff.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default more on jacks

Thanks for the tips. The Harborfreight jack looks good and is a great deal. Problem for me is that jack is too wide too. I got a space of about five inches in width through which I need to slide the jack -- whether behind the front wheels or in front of rear wheels. I have one jack like that already that I found in a local auto parts store for $19.95 - but it only lifts to about 15 inches. So I will continue my search for that perfect jack -- five inches wide, low profile (four inches) and lift of 20 inches -- and with controllable drop - so I can ease the car down. My cheap jack does that well too. My other jacks are great -- but for this car they are just too wide.
Irv
Old 03-02-2004, 11:15 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

I use a jack from a PT.

Chrysler made a low profile jack that is great for my car.

My Wife it a little miffed over the jack missing from the PT, but you have to have your priorities.

Just a thought.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Have you tried Rhino Ramps or a facimile from Griots Garage? Not a jack, but works well as long as you use a spotter. Raises the car up far enough to change oil etc. I used them on my wife's Miata 3-4 years ago and drove right off the end of the Rhino Ramp. Duhhh! Good thing it was not a big deal to use a floor jack to get the car off the ramp. And....Good thing no one was watching too! I haven't shared this story with many car guys to date.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     

Groits also offers a low profile jack .It looks like it would only be an inch or so high but it is a little pricy.
I have the same problem.I start with a sizors jack under the tortion bar bearing, get a little heigth then use a floor jack under the center frame. same process in reverse coming down.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cardiac, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Found this jack on ebay. California Car Cover

Compact Floor Jack / Low Profile Billet Aluminum Jack / Great for Lowered Cars!! | eBay

A bit pricey but couldn't get a lower profile. Doesn't take up much space in the trunk either.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:25 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

At home, I use a Kwick-Lift which brings it up about 20". Away from home, check out Race Ramps or someone similar. But that's if you have a rig to haul them to wherever you are going. On the road and in a pinch, low-profile bottle jack in the trunk, a knock-off hammer, safety wire and a wire spinner tool among other things that may come in handy. My 2 cents.....
Old 07-17-2012, 09:54 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

AC Hydraulics has a low profile jack that is long and strong.
Not a bad tool to spend more on.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have a jack from a newer Trans Am. It is really low. The collapsed height is just a bit over 2".
Old 07-18-2012, 04:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane - FE
Not Ranked     
Default Norco Low Profile

Take a look at the Norco 71233A jack

I use one and come straight in from the front, under the oil cooler and pick up by the front cross member.

In the rear, I go in diagonally to reach the rear frame cross brace and lift it.

The trick is the low profile lifting arm with a little extra reach the normal jacks don't give you.

Paul

Last edited by PaulProe; 07-18-2012 at 04:56 PM..
Old 07-18-2012, 06:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

I know that this is a resurected 8 year old thread but FYI, this is the jack that I use. It will slide between the front wheel and side pipe and grab the frame. At least on my Classic Roadster anyway. I can jack the whole side of the car up from there if I want.

Aluminum Floor Jack - 1.5 Ton Aluminum Racing Jack