SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2001, 09:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Tweaked 351W, T-5Z, CRII Tech Support Team.
Not Ranked     
Default MII front suspension & Koni coilovers

Many of the Cobra front suspensions are based on the Ford '74-'78 Mustang II front suspension, as is mine. Coil over setup is Carerra spring & shock. It works.

Has anyone used a Koni coil over spring and shock for this? Options, part numbers, and sources please?
Old 12-22-2001, 03:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lots fo different cars that change all of the time
Not Ranked     
Smile

JACK, CALL RCC SUSPENSION IN FT. WORTH TEXAS. I THINK THEY CAN HELP OR KNOW WHO CAN. SORRY I DON'T HAVE THEIR NUMBER HERE CLOSE. TELL DARYLL I SENT YOU.

JAY
Old 12-22-2001, 06:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Tweaked 351W, T-5Z, CRII Tech Support Team.
Not Ranked     

Thanks, but RCC supplied me with the Carerra setup and have nothing in Koni. Figured at least one of you guys might be using a Koni coilover/MII setup, or would know a suspension shop that would, and save me some work.

The Carerras aren't bad, but Koni is better. Posed this to Koni Tech Support so we'll see what they come up with.

But if I do find a Koni solution, I will share it with Daryll at RCC.
Old 12-22-2001, 08:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jack,

I'd be interested in what you find out as my current project is a '78 Mustang II (restyling it like a Daytona). I have never seen any Koni coilovers and I do know the regular Koni red shocks are no longer in production. I was fortunate to purchase NOS fronts and rears on Ebay. Part # is 80-2287 SP1 for the front shocks (MII AND Pinto).
You may want to check for coilovers with Lee Grimes (tech support with Koni North America..his email is: lgrimes@koni-na.com I found their support very fast and informative.

I have seen the Carrera and Alduns (spelling?) coilovers for the MII...just out of my price range right now

Francis
Old 12-22-2001, 10:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Maker
Send a message via AIM to Bill E Send a message via Yahoo to Bill E
Not Ranked     

You should consider the HAL coilovers They are easier to adjust and have more travel and have a knob to adjust for dampening and rebound. Real trick, and under, about 500 for the kit. Then install a pair of pole position upper adjustable control arms with screw- in chrysler ball joints. Then if you want to go whole enchilada,order a set of adjustable lower control arms and strut rods. This will clean off about 14 pounds of unsprung weight. Then the next step would be the 13"rotors and Alcon calipers.And so on ans so on and it never ends and this is a good thing.If you wont any of this stuf let me know and i will tell you where to get it. Bill E EMS
Old 12-23-2001, 12:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the reply Bill

Looked at the Hal shocks. Haven't found anyone who has used them on a Cobra to tell me how he liked them. What I didn't want was an otherwise stock passenger car shock, Monroe, Gabriel, NAPA, with domestic passenger car (baby buggy) control. I know Koni's work because I've used them before. The difference in suspension control is like night and day. Does the Hal give you that? RCC does carry the Hal line, but not the Koni.

Looked at the Pole Position adjustable upper control arms. The Classic Roadsters upper spring and control arm housing is larger than others and requires a "D" arm. An "A" arm won't clear. Using Heidt's tubular "D" arm right now. It has what appears to be the Chrysler screw-in ball joint for replacement. Not being adjustable, the most caster I can crank in is 4 degrees instead of the recommended 6 without elongating the mounting slots. And I have to make some stop brackets to keep the front suspension aligned. The MII does slide after being adjusted. Definately not one of Fords better ideas. Does Pole Position offer an adjustable "D" arm? Stop or alignment saver brackets. FFR cars seem to use alignment saver brackets nearly universally.

Am using RCC lower control arm made for coil over shock. Heidts lowers for OEM Mustang/Pinto spring went into the dumpster. Got tired of cutting up springs and reassembling front suspension to dial in the ride height. Using OEM strut rods with urethane bushings. A strut rodless lower arm could be used if the frame were modified to use one. The stress points on the stock CR frame (in my engineering opinion) aren't strong enough to hold a retrofit arm without structural modification.

Got a point with the brakes. 10" rear, and 11" front rotors do look anemic inside 17" wheels. Actually, the car does stop well as far as I've pushed it so far. 13" front and 12" rear Baer Claws would slow it down in a hurry.

Hardest to resist temptation was to 393 the motor before dropping it in. Do miss the extra torque on the bottom end, but it was leave it alone and get it on the street, or keep building and wait another season. As I get the car sorted out, and start learning it's (and my) limits, there are always "improvements and upgrades".

Do you like your Hal's? Anybody using Koni's?
Old 12-23-2001, 09:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Maker
Send a message via AIM to Bill E Send a message via Yahoo to Bill E
Not Ranked     

Jake I did use the koni they work but are a pain in the butt to adjust and the durability and the travel is not there. The Hal. s are better. We have modified 3 CR. cars to the pole position uppers. It dose require some cutting and welding but well worth it. The lowers we build our selves allonge whit the strut rods. I will try to get you a pitcher. Bill E
Old 04-01-2004, 11:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The Pole Position upper has another neat feature (other than ajustable arms)...it has the cross shaft rotated 90 degrees so that the attaching bolts are horizontal instead of vertical. This allows the use of shims to set alignment instead of just moving the bolts.

I have seen another case where a custom front suspension builder used this setup claiming that it ended problems with alignment changing after it was set.

I wonder if your crossmember could be modified to use the horizontal bolts. Maybe weld in a stout piece of "L" bracket drilled for the MII crosshaft bolt spacing with some additional bracing supports?

Hi Turbo II...I'm looking for a set of those Koni Red MII fronts now too! I found some Yellow's...at $100 each.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Jack,

I have the HAL coil overs with the 12 way adjustable dampening on my car and like them. I took the Koni shocks off that I originally had as I didn't care for the adjustability and the way you have to do it. I still have the stock Mustang II control arms but I have seen the ones that Bill E. has put on those cars and they are really nice. I am just to old to need all of that high quality stuff. I did have a friend cut down the front shock tower mounting and make it lower so I have more travel. I am always playing with the adjustments on mine and the HALS have really been great and have stood up very well. Everything that Bill said about them is true and if you are going to really drive your car hard I think they will work for you. I drive mine with care and very easy so they don't get a really hard workout.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 04-01-2004, 09:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 427 body and building my own chassis. Modifying a Jaguar front irs and a Dana 44 in a 4 bar set up in the rear. 351W/408 Stroker I am building myself, top loader 4 speed..Dana 44 rear w/ 4 link
Send a message via Yahoo to stevehaygood
Not Ranked     

Get Aldans. 12 positions or Spax
1st Marine Division
"The Nam", 1967
Grunt infantry
Old 04-01-2004, 09:20 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former Everett-Morrison,428SCJ
Not Ranked     

If any of you guys would like to upgrade from those junk Carerra shocks, I am here to help.........Let me know what spring rate you have, and how much you want for them!

Thanks,
Jon D. Miller
a guy on a budget....