SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2004, 06:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1670 Stroked Little Windsor - Runs OK.
Send a message via AIM to MidOHasp
Not Ranked     
Cool SPF Accelerator Pedal "fluff"

Still working out the little details on SPF 1670 and was wondering if anyone's encountered what I have on the gas pedal.

Noticed there's about an inch of travel in the pedal assembly before the linkage to the carb, etc... engages. It's definitely in the pedal assembly itself. I've gotten in the car and had someone watch inside the hood while I pump the pedal before I feel it "engage" and they don't see a thing.

Anyone else have this and fix it? Makes heel-and-toeing hard because the gas pedals kind of floating out there and can move all around before it does anything.

Yeah, the stroker has AWESOME throttle response..... after I get the gas pedal to engage!
Old 04-08-2004, 06:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2 dr roadster, V-8, 4 spd.
Not Ranked     

JP,

Your SPF looks to be a late model and I believe the critical elements are welded and I sold my SPF when they were producing # 1300 or so (I owned one in the 200s). That said, did RT ever post my throttle linkage fix on SCOF fixit forum? It may give some insight on where to look.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

haven't signed up at SCOF yet......

gotta do that one of these days
Old 04-09-2004, 04:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Porsche 928 S4
Not Ranked     

I just looked on SCOF and didn't see a throttle entry. I would have thought overtravel could be adjusted out at the slidable stop in the engine compartment on top of the footwell. The linkage arm where the rod to the carb connects allows quite a bit of adjustment to the overall ratio as well. What does the fix involve?
Old 04-09-2004, 04:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

>> haven't signed up at SCOF yet......

>> gotta do that one of these days

JP buddy, sign up today. You're missing out.

-Steve
Old 04-09-2004, 07:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 406FE
Not Ranked     

Toy Collector,

RT has posted your problem solver.... I used it to fix SPF #198....it's in SCOF's tech library somewhere.....
Old 04-09-2004, 10:09 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1507 427 Dart Block Windsor
Not Ranked     

JP,

I looked in SCOF and couldn't find the throttle linkage fix, but I'm sure I've seen it somewhere. Perhaps it's in a back issue of "Second Strike". If you still need it and nobody posts it in the meantime, I'll dig out my back issues and see whether I can find it.

Just went out and looked at my car. It sounds like your problem is at the joint between the gas pedal shaft and the arm on the other end of the shaft which operates the throttle linkage. This appears to be a welded joint on my car but, from my dim recollection, this may have been a press fit or secured with a set screw on earlier cars. If that's where the problem lies, the repair would involve removing the arm, drilling and tapping it for a set screw (or two, 120 degrees apart) and replacing the arm on the shaft. It appears this could be done without disturbing the steering shaft.

See whether that looks like what you're experiencing; if so, the repair is pretty simple and straightforward. If not, post back here and let us know what you find.

Lowell
Old 04-10-2004, 06:25 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Your accelerator pedal is loose on the shaft that passes through the foot box.
Use a 10mm wrench and tighten the bolt.
Make sure your linkage is adjusted correctly. At full throttle the pedal should be on the floor. If the carb is at full throttle without the pedal on the floor it will loosen the bolt again.

Hope this helps
Dennis Olthoff
Old 04-12-2004, 04:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dennis,

That is the answer, my man! I was just looking last night and saw that the slop was definitely in that shaft that passes through the footbox.

Would you agree that given that it is currently loose, if I were to put the pedal on the floor, check to see that the carb is wide open, then tighten the bolt, I would be where I need to be?

I am willing to bet that the throttle was never adjusted correctly to begin with. I think I tried to make sure that the carb able to be opened all the way, but didn't think about what would happen if it was all the way open before the pedal hit the floor.

Thanks! (I will let you know if that solves the problem)

JP