SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2004, 05:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Radiator w/oil cooler

Getting started on my 65 Mustang Vintage race car,doing body work and collecting parts.....Going to run a 331 stroker with alum. heads,solid roller cam,etc,etc......

Instead of running an oil cooler in front of the radiator I was thinking of a Griffin radiator with the oil cooler in the tank,similar to a radiator for a car with an automatic trans....

Anyone running a similar set-up??????? It would be a simple and clean install,just wondering how efficient it will be and how will it affect my water temp......Most Vintage racers running similar motors,but oil coolers in front of the radiator have no problems with overheating. One front running car I'm familar with runs a griffin radiator the size I was planning to run with the oil cooler in front and after a 10 to 15 lap race his water temp is still between 180 and 190..........

David
Old 06-02-2004, 04:14 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

Hi David,

I use an aluminum radiator with a tank in the rightmost header for my C6 automatic. I've run up to four track sessions in a day without any signs of heating in the automatic. Of course, a lot depends on the converter's stall speed, mods to the auto itself etc...

Having said that, the fittings look a lot smaller to me for the auto, implying a lesser flowrate. The auto's cooling lines are -6AN where the engine oil cooler is -10AN, a really big difference. The smaller fittings might also imply a potential restriction in the engine oil circuit.

My engine oil cooler is not located in front of the radiator - it is just below it so it doesn't seem to influence the engine cooling at all.

The above speculations are intended to be helpful

Tom
Old 06-02-2004, 04:35 AM
Shade Tree Mechanic
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: - Unique - 302 - 4 spd. -
Not Ranked     

David,

I think you have already answered your own question. If other people are running the oil cooler in front of the radiator and are not overheating, why go off course and experiment with this internal device? I have to admit that I'm not well versed in various type of radiators out there, but most internal coolers I've seen are made to cool the auto trannys, and have smaller diameter tubes than one would see on an engine oil cooler. I may be dead wrong here, but it looks like you would have to have a custom cooler/radiator made for this application..... which may not be more efficient than going the other tried and proven route.
Old 06-02-2004, 03:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys for the replys.......

Spoke with the people at Griffin Radiators,they make pretty much any radiator size and configuration you want,they also can put either an engine oil cooler or auto trans oil cooler in one tank.... The AN fitting are a different size for each.....They do make and have a number of radiators in NASCAR/Busch series and while most use the air/oil cooler they do have some teams using the engine oil cooler in the radiator....

My two concerns were the ease of installation and cost....Oil cooler in the radiator is a lot easier to plumb and a very simple deal and actual cost is less than a radiator and seperate air/oil cooler,I'm going to run a Griffin radiator either way I go....

Still undeceided which way to go and have plenty of time before I get to that point....Thanks for the replys and if anyone else has anything to add,please do......

David
Old 06-02-2004, 08:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CRL, 351W, Tremec TKO
Not Ranked     

I wonder if you'd end up potentially getting the oil too cool.

My thinking here is that you'd be designing the system to maintain a specific water temperature, 180 degrees for example. The water in the radiator would average out to some temperature around 180 degrees once the engine had warmed up.

Depending on how much time the oil spent in the 180 degree temperature, wouldn't the oil temperature normalize at some temperature around 180 degrees also?

(Gross oversimplification and a whole lot of swag going on ... and I haven't the foggiest idea of what I am talking about!)

Who is John Galt?
Old 06-03-2004, 03:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Pete;

I have thought about that myself,that's the reason for this thread....hoping to find someone that has used this set-up to get some first hand feedback.....

I have and will continue to run one road course that has very short straights and I guess I spend about 70% of every lap at or under 60 mph,barely hit 105mph on the straight.... Some other cars with air/oil coolers told me their oil temp runs a little higher here because of the lack of long straights and overall slower speeds,not as much air flow thru thr air/oil cooler,that's one reason I'm looking into the water/oil cooler.....Longer tracks do not have that problem.....

While doing some research on this I have found some Nextel Cup teams use both type oil coolers,depending on the track they are running....

In my street car I'm runnig a 26"x19" Griffin radiator and on the race car I can run up to a 28"x19" radiator if needed,also run an electric fan.......On the street car with a 17" diameter electric fan I have no overheating problems at all,very happy with the radiator......same when I run road courses with my street car.....but on my street car I have no oil cooler and my depending on the track, I have seen oil temps in the 230 to 235 range,a little more than I like....most guys tell me they like to see their oil temps between 200 and 220,one guy told me that anything over 220 should be cause for alarm......

David
Old 06-03-2004, 08:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA
Not Ranked     

David
....Very interesting thread.
I would think you could regulate the oil temp with a thermostatically controlled valve. Just a guess. I have no personal experience doing so. Keep us informed.
Steve
Old 07-23-2011, 07:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Griffin radiator (cheap)

[I have a Griffin radiator that I am selling cheap. This radiator is a Griffin aluminum w/oil cooler built-in. It measures 19" x 27.1/2" x 2.1/2" this radiator has never had water in it. It was used for mock- up circa chevy motor in a latemodel chassis. We have decided to utilize a different manufactured engine, and have no need for this item. I am only Asking $160.00 for this radiator. If interested, please contact me at gageplating@aol.com or call 570-886-0414 Thanks QUOTE=DAVID GAGNARD;478839]Getting started on my 65 Mustang Vintage race car,doing body work and collecting parts.....Going to run a 331 stroker with alum. heads,solid roller cam,etc,etc......

Instead of running an oil cooler in front of the radiator I was thinking of a Griffin radiator with the oil cooler in the tank,similar to a radiator for a car with an automatic trans....

Anyone running a similar set-up??????? It would be a simple and clean install,just wondering how efficient it will be and how will it affect my water temp......Most Vintage racers running similar motors,but oil coolers in front of the radiator have no problems with overheating. One front running car I'm familar with runs a griffin radiator the size I was planning to run with the oil cooler in front and after a 10 to 15 lap race his water temp is still between 180 and 190..........

David[/quote]
Old 07-23-2011, 09:08 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

David, from what I understand the oil I in radiator's chief advantage's are that it gets the oil warm quickly and thermal transfer is more efficient. That being said, the oil needs to stabilize at a higher temp than the water does and would require an oil thermostat. I even did this with my separate oil cooler and it (canton) works very well. This does make plumbing more complex but you get the advantages without much draw back.

Steve