SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2004, 07:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default newbie looking at superformance

First off, I would like to say this is a well organized website.

that said,

I am looking into buying a superformance mkiii, but I am partial to chevy engines. I particuarly like the world castings 454 sbc. I have two of them already. One in a 57 chevy post, and one in a 32 ford highboy roaster. It's a monster. the 57 dynoed at 473 rwhp. and 478 rwtq. plus, it's a reliable engine too. I use the 57 daily and travel with it every few months. Ive had the 454 in the 57 for a year and a half and the only problem ive had is having to adjust the carb for altitude when i drove to sedona AZ. roughly 3000 miles. however, fuel economy is not one of its strong suits. it'll average 6 to 11 mpg.

anyway, I would like to know if swapping the motor mounts would be a daunting task. I know nothing of ford engines so i'm going to need some advice so i can decide weather to drop in the engine myself or get sombody to do it for me. thanks in advance.
Old 06-30-2004, 07:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique, 427SO, it runs
Not Ranked     

Kevin,

I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm responding because of the silence you've received.

First, this is primarily a Ford site, because Cobras had Ford engines. Thus, most replicas are set up for them While a few here have installed Chebbys, they generally receive a lot of grief here.

Second, I believe SPF's come set up for small block Fords, usually a 351 Windsor. Thus, some mods will be required for a big block, whether it's Ford or Chevy.

I hope you can find some decent advice here, but just trying to fill you in as a new person here.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by clayfoushee

some mods will be required for a big block, whether it's Ford or Chevy.
The 454s in my 57 and 32 highboy are smallblocks, not big blocks. I prefer the sb to the bb by a large margin.

http://www.worldcastings.com/new/feature0307.shtml

would a lot of modification be involved with putting the smallblock 454 in a spf? thanks.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 FIA, 347 stroker with Weber 48's, building a '48 Anglia gasser, driving a '55 Chevy resto-rod
Send a message via Yahoo to G.R.
Not Ranked     

Personal opinion only---I think you would do much better $$$ wise installing a sb Ford into the SPF, especially if you ever decide to sell and especially in as nice a replica as as SPF--Chevy powered Cobra replicas always seem to sell for way less than Ford powered.
I know it is less costly to build a hi-performance Chevy sb than a Ford sb.
Even if you're a Chevy guy(I am )a Ford powerplant really sets off a Cobra.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Kevin,
Sounds like an interesting engine. You may have to alter the engine mount pads that are welded to the frame, and possibly the tranny mount. You will also need custom headers and drive shaft unless they are available from SPF.
That said, try calling a Superformance dealer and ask them. There's probably someone out there who has done it.
Steve
Old 07-01-2004, 04:43 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1507 427 Dart Block Windsor
Not Ranked     

Kevin,

Thre are a few Cobras with Chevy motors running around, so it's possible but not generally encouraged. I'm sure it CAN be done, but, as indicated above, being the odd duck will DEFINITELY have a negative effect on resale value. I'd venture to guess when you sell the car, you'd lose whatever money you saved by building the less expensive Chevy, and then some. I'd also be concerned about being able to reach the distributor, although SPF seems to have a fair amount of room around the back of the motor (sbf, anyway).

You might try calling Eric Hinderberger at Performance Engineering in Ross, Ohio (see banner ad for contact info). He's a Chevy guy at heart but has installed lots of motors in SPF's, so if anybody's done any thinking in that direction, it likely would be he. Also, try calling the SPF dealers and asking whether they know of anybody putting Chevy motors in their cars. If so, they may be able to put you in contact. If not, that should tell you something!

Seems to me the Arntz Cobras came with sbc's back in the 70's? 80's?. I'm on thin ice here, but I believe Butler took over Arntz at some point. If you really want a sbc, one of these might be as "correct" as you'll get for a sbc-powered Cobra.

Good luck,

Lowell
Old 07-01-2004, 04:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: scratch built 289 eclectic mix of fia/ussrc/early comp
Not Ranked     

Hi
Please take look LS1AC's Chevy LS1 V8 powered Superformance @
http://geocities.com/ls1ac/
http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/s...cat=500&page=1
Regards
Ozgur
Old 07-01-2004, 05:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

If you're set on a 454 small block, why not build a Dart block Ford small block. They're designed to take a 4.125" bore, and any one of the crank manufacturers can supply a 4.25" crank = 454 cubes.

With the right cam/cyl heads/compression/carb combo and those cubes, I'd be disappointed if you didn't make 500+rwhp......

.....and it's keeping the right brand of engine in the SPF
Old 07-01-2004, 05:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Porsche 928 S4
Not Ranked     

Good point 750hp, a 351 windsor based block has a 9.5 deck height which is alot more than a SBC and keeps you from having a funky rod stroke ratio. Fords also have other advantages like the intake and exhaust ports not being siamesed. There are some really good heads for them too.
Old 07-01-2004, 06:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Now thats cool. Get that engine / tranny, computer combo from the boneyard and plug in 320 HP. Hell get two so you have a spare.
I'm day dreaming about the new Chrysler Hemi. That one has tons of potential. Hopefully, they will build lots of them.
Old 07-01-2004, 07:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1374 with 392 RDI Stroker
Not Ranked     

Looking at the Superformance registery, there is a couple of SPF's with Chebby power. SPF doesn't promote Chevy engines, but it has been done. I agree with the others, come time for re-sale, you'll take a beating.
Go with a Ford engine. Lot's to choose from, Big or Small block at affordable prices.

Just my 2cents
Mark
Old 07-01-2004, 07:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Steve, I drove one of those 300C's with the new Hemi. It shuts down 4 cylinders under a light load.....what do you think about that? Of course, I suppose some genius could figure out how to reprogram the computer.

I didn't care for the car, as it felt very heavy, but the motor did feel strong, and the shutdown was almost imperceptable.
Old 07-01-2004, 07:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Chevrolet engine in a Cobra?

There sure are some "sick" people in the world!

If you really have to "destroy" a Superformance Cobra, I would call Eric at Performance Engineering.

Last edited by BANDIT 1; 07-01-2004 at 07:34 AM..
Old 07-01-2004, 07:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Clay,
Have you seen a cross section of the head on a new Hemi? The ports are a straight, direct shot to the intake valve. Reminds me of the Gurney- Weslake engine. Ford has dropped the ball with it's overhead cam designed engine as far as I'm concerned.
$600 for new cams...ect.. $$$$ That Ls1 and the Hemi are good old push rod tech. Of course, sticking with a 351 would be the simplest approach in this case.
Steve
Old 07-01-2004, 11:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

the thing is I don't have any engine building expirience. and i don't want to build my own engine or pay sombody to do it cutom. I want to buy an engine in a crate. and since i've GREAT dealings with world castings products, i would really like to use their 454 sbc engine in my cobra.

I know that it will really hurt the resale value. however, I don't care. as long as I own the car and I'm enjoying it, I'm not going to think about selling it unless I total it in an accident. Ive had my 32 ford for 11 years and my 57 chevy for 6, and they aint leaving me unless they have to.

Why is it such a bad thing to lose a little resale value if you have the perfect car (in my opinion) that can turn on a dime, go faster than a viper, do a cross county trip once in a while, have better weight distibution than a bb with the power of a bb, all running on 93 pump gas.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You can buy Ford crate motors too. I thought it was because you had experience building Chevy engines. There are plenty of SB Ford-powered Cobra replicas running around with nearly 50/50 weight distribution, and I believe you get close with a 351 Windsor out of the crate. One of our CACC members has a 427 stroker based on the 351W.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 302
Not Ranked     

I agree, sort of. Of course I'm pretty new here myself so I don't have much credibility. I must say that looks like a wonderful motor! And if it's for you to enjoy, then what the hell. It also provides ammo for these threads which I love reading.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:47 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #586, 535hp.460
Not Ranked     
Default It's your $$, do what you want!

Kevin,
Since this is your vision and your $$, my suggestion is to do your homework, talk extensively with your dealer about the problems you face with a Chevy motor in a car designed for a Ford, then once you feel you have a grasp for what is ahead then go for it! My feeling is it's a bit more than just motor mounts, with custom headers to fit the side pipes, transmission and driveshaft compatibility issues that need to be addressed.
As far as weight distribution, my SPF is 48/52 front/rear with my 460, so that will not be an issue.
Hey, good luck with whatever you decide to do, so just DO IT.....and in the end you will have a grin you just can't stop!
John Russell
Old 07-01-2004, 01:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default newbie looking at superformance

the thing is that I have no expierience building engines, and I don't want to have one custom built b/c I want an engine that is proven and one that I know is built to last. the world castings 454 sbc is such an engine and it is the most powerful/reliable engine I've ever delbt with.

I know that a sbc will kill the resale value of an spf, but does it really matter? As long as I have a car that I can't enjoy more, I wouldn't sell it unless it got totaled.

Ive had my 32 highboy since I was 16 (11 years ago) and I'm not getting rid of it unless i have to. my 57 sedan has been with me since I was 21 (6 years ago) and the same goes for it.

as long as I have the "perfect" (in my opinion) car that can turn on a dime, outrun a viper, go on a cross country trip with no problem, have the power of a well tuned 500+cid bb without the weight of one, and look cool all on 93 pump gas I'm happy.

I'm not trying to brag, but I do make slightly better than average means, so If I want somthing a certain way with one of my cars 6 out of 10 times it will be done if the money is there.
Old 07-01-2004, 01:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

tranny mounts and headers wont be a problem. anything can be custom made. chances are I will be using a tremec 5 speed anyway. I'm not framiliar with tremecs, so I don't know which one would be best.

The driveshaft shouldn't be a problem if I use the tremec.