SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2004, 08:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     
Default Holley vent whistles

I had my Holley 1850s redone.When they went away they had the white plastic vent whistles.When they came back to me they had a small brass devise that partialy exposed the vent window diagonaly .It is hung off the pegs that hold the bowl gasket.It is formed from sheet stock. Anyone have experience with these? are they better than the vent whistles?Why do you think they switched ? Should I replace with the new white plastic vent whistles ?
Old 11-22-2004, 04:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     
Arrow

To begin with the vent piece of brass you describe is the standard
vent plate. The plastic "whistles" are supposed to prevent fuel from sloshing out vent tubes under hard G forces (cornering,braking and acceleration). I would say thatthey should be installed if you plan on such activities. It makes me curious about the metering blocks. Since the whistle tubes require a small brass rivet to hold them in place, they either left the hole unplugged, plugged it with the regular rivet(minus vent) or swapped metering blocks all together. I would personally suspect the latter since I've never had to remove a whistle to do any carb work. You can look at the metering block and determine if they were ever used with a whistle because of the mentioned rivet/hole.
Old 11-22-2004, 04:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427SO with big twin autolite inlines on custom intake, jag rear, top loader, wembeldon white, guardsmen blue stripes
Not Ranked     

Probably better than the plastic, I used a
piece of aluminum tubing 3/8X1 and compressed one end in a vise, inserted in the housing and rivited. Works great.

Remember!, there's a huge difference between a 'parts' changer, and a mechanic.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The reply I got from the rebuilder said that the plastic whistle in a side pivot float application may inhibit float travel causing it to not close the needle and seat.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT40 #45
Not Ranked     

Mike - your rebuilder is correct. The plastic vents were made to be used only on the center-hung float systems. There are new nitrofil (plastic) floats that are far more buoyant than the standard brass floats. If your carb was built using the new plastic floats, the float will ride up much higher and probably contact the whistle. You could use the brass floats and "maybe" get by.
Typically the venting is not a problem unless you are pushing the extremes in acceleration and braking and are having fuel slosh problems (fuel spilling from the vent tubes)..
RCR40 #45 http://www.GT-Forty.com
Old 11-23-2004, 06:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If you aren't pushing the G limits then what is a Cobra replica for?They had the whistles before and worked fine .I had the black floats in the secondaries and the pink plastic floats in the primaries.I have the black material in both sides now. I did hear there are two lengths of whistles .What they are or what fits what I'm in the dark.
Old 11-24-2004, 06:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I ordered two new extra side hung floats. I'm going to try and notch them for some clearence. I've seen pictures where they alter the floats for special applications. Heck the secondary floats are altered originals that came with the metering plate kit.This situation is even more amunition for not choising dual inline carbs.