SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2004, 03:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everrett-Morrison Cobra, 427W T-5 Z tranny
Not Ranked     
Unhappy Knock Off Wheel Question

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone out there has an idea of the measurements from wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface to utilize knock off wheels (Trigo etc...) I know the backspacing on these types is normally 3.5" - 3.75" but I want to get the overall width correct before i shell out the big bucks for a set of wheels that may or may not fit. I would appreciate any help to finally overcome this difficult and frustrating hump.

Thanks

chris
Old 11-22-2004, 03:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

You have a solid axle? You asking for the axle housing width?
Old 11-22-2004, 07:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

I know it's a tough hurdle to build without wheels. The wheel measurements can be duplicated with some cheap steel race car rims till you can afford the real ones. They are available in different rim widths and backspacing for around $40 each.
Trigos and Vintage are 7 1/2" front (bead width), 8 1/2" over outside of rim. The backs are 9 1/2" measuring 10 1/2" outside. The backspace on these is 3 5/8" with a 3/8" thick adapter flange. That gives an effective backspace of 3 1/8" on these wheels. Good luck with yer cipherin!
Old 11-23-2004, 04:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everrett-Morrison Cobra, 427W T-5 Z tranny
Not Ranked     

Hi,

Thanks for the responses. It is a solid axle and the overall width of my 9" ford rear is just under 53" axle tube face to axle tube face. I have a set of American racing Torque Thrust D's that were on the previous rear, which was 54.4" axe tube face to axle tube face. The rear rims have roughly 6.5" of backspacing and a width of 11".
I am planning to mount them on each rear to determine the overall width to make an assessment before I proceed further. I simply thought that I would ask to see if there was anyone out there who may have encountered a similar problem during their build. If there is any narrowing needed I would certainly like to get it done now vice later.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 11-23-2004, 11:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 FIA, 347 stroker with Weber 48's, building a '48 Anglia gasser, driving a '55 Chevy resto-rod
Send a message via Yahoo to G.R.
Not Ranked     

My 9'' solid axle is 53.5 axle face-to-face. I have an FIA and my Trigosw/ 275x60x15 rears do protrude about an inch from the rear fenders.
Other than shortening the axle again to get the "correct look" for now I'll live with it--sort of looks like a Hot Wheels car