SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2005, 08:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The first thing about racing is knowing where your car is "better" than the other car you are racing. I use to have a Pontiac Astre (Pontiac version of a Vega) with a 406 small block Chevrolet. I use to destroy big block Chargers, Mustangs, and Corvette's (just to name a few) from a stoplight to stoplight race. Any of these cars would have blown past me in a race from a 35+mph "punch". The car would jump at least a car length ahead from the launch and the traction limited big blocks just couldn't catch up in the 1/8 mile race.

The Viper has some of the biggest tires on any factory vehicle and like the Vette it can put the power to the ground. A big block Cobra at a 35+mph "punch" has no problem with traction and is going to smoke a Viper or Vette every time, no brag just fact.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique, 427SO, it runs
Not Ranked     

Sorry LwCwb.........yes my son, I have sinned. I have good days and bad days.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:14 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

A local twin turbo plus Nitrous injection Viper runs lows 10's, slicks for the hole shot.

But it "sounds" really weird, kind of a whoosh or like a big bummble bee. Not impressed...
Old 04-21-2005, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Excaliber

A local twin turbo plus Nitrous injection Viper runs lows 10's, slicks for the hole shot.

But it "sounds" really weird, kind of a whoosh or like a big bummble bee. Not impressed...
And the question was?

phatry...you and the former owner who smoked the ZO6s work part time at Circuit City?

Are you the two guys who tried to tell me that all big screens are plasma now?

It would take an exceptional...and I mean something dedicated on the order of a series prepped FFR, CSX or a JBL...to beat a ZO6 on a road course, drivers aside.

Please.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The point is:
At least the Vettes have a decent sound system.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Owned CSX 3121 1969-1975. Went to the dark side and bought a 'Vette. May yet repent and be saved.
Not Ranked     

There are a bunch of totally streetable, normally aspirated C5 'Vettes that have run low 10s and were driven to and from the track. The faster modded Vipers are flirting with the 8s.
Old 04-21-2005, 01:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by marcocsx3121

As a former (original) Cobra owner, let me point out that the perception of acceleration and reality may differ significantly. Small, loud, open cars magnify the sensations associated with speed. CSX 3121 was a low-12 second car, while my modified C5 is a low 10 second car. My recollections of the Cobra are that it felt quicker than the 'Vette.

My guess is that is has been a long time since you drove CSX3121, that would make it hard for you to remember. If you're cobra runs low 12 sec in the quarter, that is slow, considering how light the car is. There are many cobra's that run low 10 sec, normally aspirated, both BB and sb, and V-6. My cobra is definitely faster than 12 sec. I could easily tell the viper I drove was slower. i.e slower acceration.

Actually, with these high hp/low weight cars, what you really should be comparing is mph at the 1/4, and not the ET. The mph tells you the true hp/wt ratio, i.e. the true potential of the car.

BTW, the hennessy 550 viper sounded a little like a chain saw as well.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 04-21-2005, 01:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Vette suspension, Baer 6P brakes, 540 cid Chevy, Haltech Fuel Injection
Not Ranked     

Anthony,

The mph at the end of the quarter is a great measure of a car's hp only if it is geared for the 1/4 mile.

BTW, how do you know your cobra "is definitely faster than 12 sec"? Have you taken it to the track? If not you might be surprised...

See ya at the track!
Old 04-21-2005, 02:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Owned CSX 3121 1969-1975. Went to the dark side and bought a 'Vette. May yet repent and be saved.
Not Ranked     

My Cobra on Firestone road race tires ran 12.2 seconds at 116 mph, which is very close to the magazine test results of the day. Based on numbers I've seen posted on this site, that's also pretty typical of current, replica Cobras that aren't running mega-inch big blocks or are set up specifically as drag cars.

If you're more interested in trap speeds, how about 135 in the quarter and 108 in the eighth. With air conditioning, cruise control, a 12 CD changer and 20+ mpg.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It bites.

My CSX dealer sold an "identical" car to mine, but with a tamer engine to another customer. He ran upper 10's.

I took my car to the track 1 1/2 yrs ago. I didn't figure the problem out at the time, as my car was dying 1/2 way down the 1/4 mile, sputtering, big loss of power. I still ran a 12.01 @ 118 mph with the engine dying 1/2 way down the track. It turned out it was fuel starvation. Maybe this fall, I'll run it again. I was running BFG radial T/A's. 3.07 rear. Toploader.

Quote:
Originally posted by marcocsx3121

If you're more interested in trap speeds, how about 135 in the quarter and 108 in the eighth. With air conditioning, cruise control, a 12 CD changer and 20+ mpg.
That's great. It's definitely a fast car. It's still a vette though.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."

Last edited by Anthony; 04-21-2005 at 08:29 PM..
Old 04-21-2005, 08:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well actually on a "percentage" basis I don't think theres "that many" replica Cobras that run under 12, fewer still in the 10's.

Many of them COULD, most often there just not set up for it, with traction being the primary issue. Cobras were never about the "1/4" mile, they were about road racing, and even today with their old design they still do very well indeed at what they were designed for.

I didn't do anything special to mine to run the 1/4, just run what I brung. Full tire pressure all around, air cleaners on, 92 octane with street timing and a soft launch (2 sec 60ft). But I DID remove the side pipes. 11.904 at 121mph I would consider that pretty darn "fast" for a replica.

Anthony, point WELL taken about the Vettes!
Old 04-21-2005, 08:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by ItBites

Anthony,

The mph at the end of the quarter is a great measure of a car's hp only if it is geared for the 1/4 mile.

See ya at the track!
Itbites,

It was my understanding that rear gear changes affected the ET to a greater degree than mph. I have seen 1/4 mile test results comparing ET's. mph, as a function of rear gear changes, and by going to a steeper gear, the ET improved alot, although the mph increased a little as well, maybe 1 or 2 mph, as the hp and car weight was unchanged. I haven't performed the tests myself.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Excaliber

Well actually on a "percentage" basis I don't think theres "that many" replica Cobras that run under 12, fewer still in the 10's.

On a percentage basis, you're right. But at Run n Gun 2003, with my engine not running right, I was still in the top eight in the street class. The guy that won street calss ran a 10 sec 1/4 mile from what I can rem,ember. I think he had a stroked SBC, FFR, richmond 5 spd. He was about 70 years old.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1245 w/ 1966 427 SO
Not Ranked     

I saw a new Z06 at the Amelia Island car show a few weeks ago. Beautiful car, and it IS going to be FAST. It has some very wide meats in the back to get the power to the ground, too. Us Cobra owners WON'T get them off the line, that's for sure......and if they get ahead of us it will be awfully hard to catch up with a 500hp (and remember....that's rwhp) / 3100lbs rocket. And if you guys think you're going to take 'em at the road course...................you'll be in for a heck of a surprise. Just an FYI - don't race for pink slips.
I took a couple pic's of the Z06. I'll see if I can find the CD and try to remember how to post them here. It was a gorgeous car, and (even for a GM) well put together.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Nov. 2003 "Automobile" magazine tested GT-40 against Ferrari 360 and Lambo Gallardo. The GT more than held it's own, and at a comparable price.

"Narrow" question:

What's the estimated ET of the new Z06? The 2003 GT-40 ran 11.9 at 122 mph (so did my ERA, ) The Ferrari and Lambo were slower.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique, 427SO, it runs
Not Ranked     

I'm still just scratching my head at why most US guys are so hung up on the 1/4 mi., standing start, drag strip times on cars that were designed as road racing machines........Cobras included.

It's rather insulting to Cobras, Lambos, Ferraris, Porsches, Ford GTs and Corvettes to argue about which is the best drag-racing machine.

Wanna be an amateur drag racer........go buy an NOx bottle, blower, and fat slicks and put them on the 90's Mustang or Camaro of your choice, or you could go Honda or Toyota.

Last edited by clayfoushee; 04-21-2005 at 09:51 PM..
Old 04-21-2005, 11:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 302 bored 306: 370HP
Send a message via AIM to phatry5
Not Ranked     

K, got yhe info. He placed 3rd at the factory five nationals in Vegas, and he placed 2nd here in Tucson for hot laps. There was an older lotus that had an S2000 engine that came in first. 3 Z06's finished 3rd, 5th and 6th
Old 04-22-2005, 03:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by clayfoushee

I'm still just scratching my head at why most US guys are so hung up on the 1/4 mi., standing start, drag strip times on cars that were designed as road racing machines........Cobras included.

It's rather insulting to Cobras, Lambos, Ferraris, Porsches, Ford GTs and Corvettes to argue about which is the best drag-racing machine.

Wanna be an amateur drag racer........go buy an NOx bottle, blower, and fat slicks and put them on the 90's Mustang or Camaro of your choice, or you could go Honda or Toyota.

To me, Lbs/hp is a just another way to rate a cars potential, power accelertion potential. It's hard to get an idea of that from a road course. However, the 1/4 mile is a good test of that. I would like to know what Mark Donohue's porshe 917-30 would do in the 1/4 (?1200 hp, 1800 lbs)? I think he said something like you don't have enough of power until you can spin the tires on the WHOLE straight from one turn to the next.

To me, driving on a road course is what it's all about. But drag racing is fun as well.

To me, adding NO2, blowers, turbo's is kind of like cheating. Normally aspirated is the true man's way. Having said that, I plan on installing a dual paxton set up, with dual turbos, and a 250 hp NO2 on my cobra.

Nah, just kidding.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Clay, Actually the 1/4 mile is a good place for guys to race if they don't have or are afraid of aquiring the skills necessary to road race.

Don't you just get a little tired of friggin posers bragging about 1/4 mile times when most have no intention of racing but it sure sounds good at the show or on the forum?

All I ever read here is how fast, how many kills but as soon as you post an event you get zero responce.

Truly the Cobra has turned into the car of choice of those who just want to "show" off what they bought. (with apologies to those who built it themselves)

Friggin posers.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427SC Unique
Not Ranked     

RacerX #99,

I notice you have 2342 posts. Are you an ass in all of them. You never seem to have anything positive to say. Just wondering?

If someone wants a vette, camaro, cobra,mustang, hemi cuda,viper, etc. or if they want to drag race, circle track race, road race, etc. WHO CARES. I even have a friend that pulls tractors. (15,000 horse power is kinda cool)

They are car guys. Good enough for me.

Brent