SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2006, 10:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar, 427 Center Oiler
Not Ranked     
Default Dim headlights

I've read some good threads on the subject but was wandering if any Lonestar owners have had this issue. I have a big voltage drop at the headlights. 9.3 volts and 11.9 at the battery or alternator with the car off. Has this been a common problem? I'm trying to find where the voltage starts to drop, but just started. Still checking some grounds, but so far I think they're OK.

Mat
Old 03-06-2006, 11:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz/SBC/Jag
Not Ranked     

Sounds like it's time for some relays !

We come into this world naked, screaming, and covered in blood. With dedication and a little planning, you can go out the same way.

View my overflow Gallery (much more to come !)
Old 03-06-2006, 12:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
I agree with Yetiman. After spending countless hours trying to trace down the way my car was wired when I bought it and just going in circles, I found the main headlight lead from the dimmer switch and bought a new relay at NAPA, which I installed and wired battery straight through it so that one way it is on high bean and the other way low beam. Made a huge improvement. The relay operates from the light switch and I have the low beam lead on one set of contacts and the high beam on another. That way the low/high beam switch puts battery on the correct lead to the lights. Also make sure that you have good headlights to start with as some aren't all that great.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 03-06-2006, 01:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz/SBC/Jag
Not Ranked     

The usual cause is in the headlight switch. Without relays all the current is drawn through the switch, and there is an arc every time you turn the lights on which causes carbon to build up along with corrosion of the contacts themselves eventually you develop a voltage drop.

By using relays you eliminate the arcing because only a very small amount of current is draw through the switch, and even if there is a voltage drop, it will not effect the operation of the relay.

The contacts in the relay are much heavier duty and better able to handle the current.

We come into this world naked, screaming, and covered in blood. With dedication and a little planning, you can go out the same way.

View my overflow Gallery (much more to come !)
Old 03-06-2006, 01:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Due to current draw, headlights should have a minimum of 16 gauge wire for all connections including the ground circuits. As previously mentioned the use of relays is a good idea.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 03-06-2006, 04:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: StreetBeast 66 replica 302 350HP
Not Ranked     

what type of dimmer setup do you have, I have the VW type system which uses a flip flop type relay, the dimmer switch on the blinker arm is just a ground for the relay, everytime you press it it simply flip flops the relay to a different set of contacts, it uses the standard VW dimmer relay, your system maybe this type if so you may need to check the connections on the relay
Old 03-06-2006, 05:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Previous owner of SPF#1938, with a Keith Craft 496ci Genesis 427 side oiler, 667 FWHP, 633 FWTQ, 560 RWHP, 550 RWTQ.
Not Ranked     
Cool

As a previous Lone Star owner I would recommend you check all your grounds and crimp connections first. If I'm not mistaken the Painless Wiring harness has a relay for the head lights.
Check your battery ground to frame and engine block to frame connections. If your frame is powder coated and you didn't grind away the powder coating for these connections, that is probabaly where your problem exists.
The other item to check is to be certain you wired the headlights correctly. The ground wire for the headlights is green.

Don't interfere with somethin' that ain't botherin' you none.