SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2006, 11:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 w/496 Side Oiler, roller, dual quads
Not Ranked     

I'm sure this is overkill for what you're looking for, but it is "original", used on CSX3015 & CSX3303, the twin paxton 427s belonging to Carroll & Bill Cosby:

Photo courtesy of Cobrajeff; used without permission.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Porsche 928 S4
Not Ranked     

Hyde, is that a paint roller tray?
'lakester, 14" drop base aircleaners can be good in situations like yours. You can have alot of drop and still have good flow, the linkage arm will probably determine how low you can go (limbo music). I used to use one, the raised center section fit within the scoop but the outer edge was just too big to fit within the scoop and would nearly touch the edges, it was tempting to modify the outer edges by squashing them inward a bit. There are also some offset bases available: http://www.pitstopusa.com/detail.aspx?ID=55371
Old 06-08-2006, 05:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

Damn nice roller try if it is
Old 06-08-2006, 05:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnut427
I'm sure this is overkill for what you're looking for, but it is "original", used on CSX3015 & CSX3303, the twin paxton 427s belonging to Carroll & Bill Cosby:

Photo courtesy of Cobrajeff; used without permission.
You go mounting that hood on your car & you open the hood to w/o twin paxtons there are bound to be a few dissapionted guests It is a very intimidating look though
Old 06-08-2006, 06:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #259
Not Ranked     

I don't know how to insert a photo on this site.....

but we did just upload some shots of our hood scoop we are making for KMP 259.....

Rear Entry and Aero smooth...

Morris
Old 06-08-2006, 06:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Porsche 928 S4
Not Ranked     

Morris, when you look at your picture in your gallery, below it is the address of that pic so that you can copy and paste it, there's even a little "copy to clipboard" button to simplify it. That way you can have large pics in a post without the size limit. Here's a pasting of the address of one of the pics in your gallery:
It looks good! Are you goint to do anything special on the inside?
Old 06-08-2006, 07:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mike

We have opened up the hood to accomodate the 16" air cleaner and will mount some side vents into the place marked in the photo....

And yes we'll build a box to get the air into the carb.....

Thanks for the photo info.....we'll try it....

Morris
Old 06-08-2006, 07:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mike

Yes we will have to make a box for the Dominator and hood .....

And we need the 16" air cleaner for the Dominator..... didn't want to compromise the motor....

Morris

And Thanks for the post info....
Old 06-08-2006, 10:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Y'know..., the funny thing about the "Paxton Scoop"..., I actually kinda like it.

No nasty discontinuity..., the whole hood is a scoop.

But I agree w/ *13*..., if there weren't any Paxtons underneath..., people might be disappointed.

Saaaayyy..., there's an idea!
Old 06-09-2006, 05:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Twin Paxtons? Now that would be cool
Old 06-09-2006, 08:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     

Iv'e seen a similar scoop on a car from Daryl Holiday in Huntsvile Texas. Actually it looked as if it were planed and not as a ( try this ). The hole under doesn't have to be as large as the scoop and it would keep out a lot of rain on the distributor. The twin turbo scoop opening sets forward and looks like it would catch air being pushed upward by the front end. I was told that the original scoops quit at speed because the higher presure air rolls up over the car and doesn't come back down untill the wndsheild. Probably picks up more air at speed than the original small scoop setting further back. I'd be in the market for one if someone made a scoop like that.

Last edited by Michael C Henry; 06-09-2006 at 09:39 AM..
Old 06-09-2006, 10:56 AM
Evryday is a roadstr day
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RHD Hurricane street roadster HM1081 aging nicely in the garage
Not Ranked     

Some thing I have never understood and need some help with....with a cowl induction hood how does air go in if the high air pressure keeps the air off the hood until the windshield? It seems logical that the air would follow the angle of the windhield and continue over it, not into the cowl induction hole. In addition, wind forced through the front would need some place to go and with higher speeds, it seems the air would vent out through the rear opening while crossing the carbs with warm air. Where does my logic (or lack of) go wrong?
Old 06-09-2006, 10:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastraxsg
Where does my logic (or lack of) go wrong?
SOmewhere in the 60's 70's
Old 06-09-2006, 12:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     

As I understand it the air flow would varry as speed changed up tp a point. At highway speeds the air goes upward leaveing the nose and returning to tumble at the windsheild creating a high pressure area. Watch NASCAR, they use cowl induction. An entance farther forward on the nose would work better up to a point . My question is just how much forced air is there. I can see cooler outside air up and out of a lot of the dirt at the road surface. But with varring flow would a flow though scoop take advantage of both nose flow and then cowl when it started to take affect. Also a seal seperating warmer air from the radiator and around engine. I have seen foam sealed plates and prestine sheet metal that fit from wheel well to wheel well arund the engine above the exhaust manifolds .A real work of art.

Last edited by Michael C Henry; 06-09-2006 at 12:10 PM..
Old 06-09-2006, 11:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi Tech Cobra Contemporary Cobra
Not Ranked     

Yetiman, I have to second Proudlakester's opinion of the 1st photo. Is that what all the fashionable big feet are wedding now days?

Proudlakester, I just used a mock up engine with my tunnelwedge hi riser manifold and carbs to see if its all gonna fit. I think my engine sits forward of yours by about 2 "more than yours, I could be wrong, I'll have new photos up on my blog this weekend. Michael
is a just God that presides over the destinies of nations. The battle sir, is not to the strong alone. Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death."' Patrick Henry.
Old 06-10-2006, 06:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here's how the Hood scoop ended up mounting to the hood along with the Vents...

Morris
Old 06-10-2006, 06:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Because of the angle of the Windshield....

The air will hit it and go up and down..... the air that is going down is a very high pressure and is then forced into the rear opening of the hood scoop....

Try towing your car on an open trailer with a light weight plastic bag taped around the body..... you will see exactly where all of the air goes....

Any air pressure under the hood will evacuate out the vents.... along with the heat

Morris
Old 06-10-2006, 06:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Looks nice!
Old 06-10-2006, 08:15 AM
Evryday is a roadstr day
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RHD Hurricane street roadster HM1081 aging nicely in the garage
Not Ranked     

Looks like a work of art, post a finished shot of it on the car. Thank you for the info re. where the air goes. *13*, I'll check my history books re. the 60's, is that under Beatles? Thanks Morris
Old 06-14-2006, 08:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Bennett Cobra-380" Stroker Windsor
Not Ranked     
Smile Maybe this helps

Hello Lakester,
Wow, what a small world. I have owned a Bennett cobra for 13 years and had to fabricated a custom air cleaner. There are only a few Bennnett cars out there but Paul made a nice chassis!!

The engines are set back from the front axle centerline almost 24" so the carb almost ends up at the hood brace like your photo shows.. I have photos I can email to you if you would like. My photo software will not compress them enough to post on this site.

From aluminum sheet I fabricated a low profile rectangle shaped air cleaner and installed two layers of Uni air filter foam. It just fits under the hood and I have the standard cobra hood scoop.

Regards,
Jeff
Modesto, Ca