SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 06-16-2006, 10:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Whats the trick to getting knock off knocked off?

I have been wailing on one wheel for about 45 minutes with a 3 lb ish hammer and it has not moved an inch. This is BDR 340# with about 150 miles on it. Im hitting it in the right direction, but im getting tired and i was hoping to get the wheels balanced this afternoon, any suggestions please/

Thanks a lot

david
Old 06-16-2006, 10:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427SO with big twin autolite inlines on custom intake, jag rear, top loader, wembeldon white, guardsmen blue stripes
Not Ranked     

When you get it off and , if you have not already done so, thin....thin...application of never seeze (spell) on the threads and mating surfaces.

Remember!, there's a huge difference between a 'parts' changer, and a mechanic.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:00 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SUPERFORMANCE w DOUG MEYER ENGINE
Not Ranked     

I use a 3.5 foot 2x4. Put one end on the spinner and blast way on the other. That way I am standing up and can get a good angle on it and not have to worry about banging up the wheel or fender.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:06 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

David, if one is slightly seized on, try hitting it the other way for a few wacks to break it loose, also check the threads and which way they are going as I had a "XXX" Cobra replica I was helping on that actually had a splined thread that was incorrect for the side it was on and while tring to remove it, discovered that sorrid fact (this is the only time I have seen or even heard of such a thing)...After you have checked the threads and which way they are turned/cut, spray a little WD40 on the threads and give it time to soak in, then work it back and forth a bit but hitting the ear both ways if you have to...

Hope you find this helpful.

Sincerely,

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 06-16-2006, 11:18 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeyd
I have been wailing on one wheel for about 45 minutes with a 3 lb ish hammer and it has not moved an inch.

...I have to ask: Your wheels are on the ground, right? ..not up in the air.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique, 351W
Not Ranked     

Try one of FinishLine's knockoff wrenches. They're expensive (around $300), but they work well.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Are there lugnuts between the spokes?
Old 06-16-2006, 11:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thx guys, yes the car is on the ground , there are no lug nuts in the way either.
i will try the suggestions you have offered, now i got my breath back

thx for the quick responses

cheersw

david
Old 06-16-2006, 11:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham KMP367, 427 Shelby
Not Ranked     

As JBCobra previously mentioned, I too use a 2x4 along with a regular size sledge hammer. I am not sure a 3lb hammer is enough weight. You should be able to hold the 2x4 in one hand and the sledge hammer in the other. You will find it necessary to choke up on the hammer to control the swing and have the wrist strength to swing it one handed. The good thing is the added weight doesn't need to be swung around much and you end up allowing the hammer to do the work. There is no need for a big windup swing. Move the 2x4 around and hit the different ears on the spinner if need be. As suggested, make sure to use anti-seize when putting back together again.

Mark
Old 06-16-2006, 12:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

OK, im going up to home depot to buy a sledge hammer, i wont have to hit the gymm tonight, this is quite a work out.

Thanks everyone

cheers
Old 06-16-2006, 12:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 S.O. Dual Quad / Cobra undecided
Not Ranked     

Are you POSITIVE you are striking the threads in the correct direction?
The only reason I ask is the same thing occoured with me on an old british sports car. Earlier in its life someone had transposed the splined hubs while the drums had an inidcator arrow showing "loosen" in the wrong direction.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:39 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

The 3lbs. hammer is sort of light. We use the 5lbs. here and end up replacing them every 4th car or so it seems. They basically explode from the amount of striking it requires.

You can apply your gym membership elsewhere in the budget now
Old 06-16-2006, 12:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

well, 10lb sledge hammer is destroying the 2 x 4 but the wheel hasnt moved an inch. tried liquid wrench and wd 40, covered the spoke in duct tape and a cloth to protect, but the thing isnt moving, thanks everyone for your help, not sure what i need to do now though
cheers
Old 06-16-2006, 12:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

im working on the passenger side of the car and hitting the spinner in a clockwise direction as it is left hand threaded that side of the car, so im pretty sure that is the right way.
once again, thanks everyone for your help, going to get soem protein in my system and give it another go
Old 06-16-2006, 01:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

When you say "10lb sledge hammer is destroying the 2 x 4" are you placing the 2x4 in a horizontal position or vertical position?

I have the 2x4 vertical as if I am driving a stake into the ground; the spinner ear is playing the part of the ground. In the vertical position the 2x4 transfers all the hammer energy straight down. If you have the 2x4 in a horizontal position, then only a portion of the energy is transferred to moving the spinner ear, unless the hammer is striking the wood immediately above the ear. However I would find this difficult to do without the hammer accidentally striking the fender on the down stroke, ouch.

Last edited by hot427cobra; 06-16-2006 at 01:22 PM..
Old 06-16-2006, 01:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks again, unfortunately the spinner position does not allow a straight vertical shot at it, it is halfwat between vertical and horizontal, i will try another wheel that may have a spinner in a more favorable position, i really thought i would be driving the car this weekend, guess not

cheers again
Old 06-16-2006, 01:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz/SBC/Jag
Not Ranked     

I haven't heard of the 2x4 trick, have to file that one away. I change wheels often enough that I haven't had this issue.

Any port in a storm, as seen recently on CSX2085

We come into this world naked, screaming, and covered in blood. With dedication and a little planning, you can go out the same way.

View my overflow Gallery (much more to come !)
Old 06-16-2006, 01:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sorry about the confusion. Not that the spinner has to be vertical or horizontal position, I was referring to the piece of wood and how it was being struck. When I hit the wood 2x4, I am striking the end of the board on the butt end, like a nail head. What I meant about hitting the 2x4 horizontally, would be hitting the side of the 2x4 as if it was laying flat on the ground.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I will have to take it to the shop i think, i now have 3 new hammers in my collection including a 10lb sledge hammer! I have spent about 5 hours trying to remove one wheel. im not to bad mechanically, i service my own race motorcycle but this is just v frustrating.

thanks everyone though
Old 06-16-2006, 01:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M 427 Top Oiler stroked to 482 by KC, Stage 2 heads, a Quikfuel and Voila, 640 hp
Not Ranked     

When you finally get that spinner off, do yourself a favor and get the big lead hammer, wire and never seeze from these guys. That hammer really does the trick on my wheels!

http://performanceunlimited.com/cobr...ls/hammer.html

Tim

Douglas Adams - Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy