SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 06-28-2006, 09:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS 427, Keith Craft 501,Toploader
Not Ranked     

What? 36 deg. TOTAL timing is about average for all engines. That's about 15 to 18 deg. initial and 18 to 20 advance for anywhere between 33 and 38 total. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 4241 - authentically built
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Brewer
What? 36 deg. TOTAL timing is about average for all engines. That's about 15 to 18 deg. initial and 18 to 20 advance for anywhere between 33 and 38 total. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Not for a power adder. We run blower/turbo/nitrous cars at about 14-18 degrees on pump gas (depending on setup) and around 20-26 degrees on race fuel.

See my car at CSXinfo.net here >> CSX 4241
Old 06-28-2006, 10:16 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It's a new ball game with a super charged\power added engine all right. There is no magic number for total timing with such an engine. To much will kill a piston for sure! MUCH more likely to experience 'detonation' with a power adder, correct timing is mandatory. "Experimenting" can be deadly in short order.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf 1837 408w 93mm turbo
Send a message via AIM to mike knight Send a message via Yahoo to mike knight
Not Ranked     
Default how high

well now you've got me thinking. i have been relying on guys who make a living tuning high performance cars mostly nhra. they own a mustang dyno and are tuning hemi's, mods, bb, sb, turbos, twin turbos and superchargers. with nitrous or without. i checked my timing last night and it was at 32d at 3000 rpm. i only run c-110 in the car when on the dyno or at the track c-116 when boosted over 7 lbs. i don't run the same tune on the car for the street but that is preprogrammed on a laptop, i just find the parameters for my boost and fuel and the program is in place. this is all done already and is programmed by them. i will certainly talk to them tonight and register my concerns based upon the info i am getting here.

that said i just spoke with my tuner and he said that your are correct that the 22 - 26 d is correct. we set the timing at 36 d but the engine management system adjusts the timing down when placed under load. i am getting way over my head now. all i can say is the b***** goes pretty good on 5lbs of boost and it is almost insane at 25 lb. we only use c-116 when running over 7 lbs of boost. no signs of detonation and the plugs are looking good on street gas and low boost. i don't know how we got here from engine temps questions but its all interesting isn't it.
71 torino cobra 429 scj
66 ford galaxie 7 liter
68 buick wildcat 430

Last edited by mike knight; 06-28-2006 at 11:41 AM..
Old 06-28-2006, 11:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 4241 - authentically built
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike knight
well now you've got me thinking. i have been relying on guys who make a living tuning high performance cars mostly nhra. they own a mustang dyno and are tuning hemi's, mods, bb, sb, turbos, twin turbos and superchargers. with nitrous or without. i checked my timing last night and it was at 32d at 3000 rpm. i only run c-110 in the car when on the dyno or at the track c-116 when boosted over 7 lbs. i don't run the same tune on the car for the street but that is preprogrammed on a laptop, i just find the parameters for my boost and fuel and the program is in place. this is all done already and is programmed by them. i will certainly talk to them tonight and register my concerns based upon the info i am getting here.

that said i just spoke with my tuner and he said that your are correct that the 22 - 26 d is correct. we set the timing at 36 d but the engine managent system adjusts the timing down when placed under load. i am getting way over my head now. all i can say is the b***** goes pretty good on 5lbs of boost and it is almost insane at 25 lb. we only use c-116 when running over 7 lbs of boost. no signs of detonation and the plugs are looking good on street gas and low boost. i don't know how we got here from engine temps questions but its all interesting isn't it.
Whew, ok. You had me scared there. I can't even fathom a boosted motor living through one WOT blast at 36 degrees .

See my car at CSXinfo.net here >> CSX 4241
Old 06-28-2006, 12:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

Mike

If you are aquaman or something like that , a email message from me to you was undeliverable--we are in Elburn and do a lot of work with engines with FAST systems and tuning--have considerable credentials with tuning HP cars
Give us a call at 630-365-6737---we can probably help.

Jerry
Old 06-28-2006, 03:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427SO with big twin autolite inlines on custom intake, jag rear, top loader, wembeldon white, guardsmen blue stripes
Not Ranked     

Tim, heat makes horsepower, just not to much. 210 on an FE is just about right IMHO. I ran a 180 for a while but the 195 thermo definitely improved performance. It's a mopar thermo, the large one.

Remember!, there's a huge difference between a 'parts' changer, and a mechanic.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2046; P.E. Aluminum 427 Windsor.
Not Ranked     

My 427 Windsor runs at 90 c on the freeway even on hot days. It has climbed to 105 c in traffic. The fans kick on at around 100 c and bring it back down to 100 c slowly. I was told by my SPF dealer who had a similar setup(408W) that I should not be concerned with temps as high as 105 c.
I hope he was right. So far I have noticed no ill effects. I run a 180 degree balanced thermostat.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default how high

now i am seeing #'s similar to mine and i am running with a turbo. my car's temp climbs very slowly but steadily to 100c after that very slowly to 105c in traffic. temps come down when i can stretch it out a little. i am still a little vague on what the high limit should be. i have been carefully watching the car and pulling it over to cool down when it reaches 105c. i've been slowly stretching the high temp with careful choice of road and where i can pull over. this has been somewhat tedious over the first 200 miles, but my confidence is growing as well as my grin. looking forward to getting out on the expressway and stretching bad asp a little further.
71 torino cobra 429 scj
66 ford galaxie 7 liter
68 buick wildcat 430
Old 06-29-2006, 02:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi - your temperature limit is basically the boiling point of your system, you gave a lot of info on your car in your first post, but didn't indicate the pressure cap that you are running.

At standard pressure (1atm) water boils at 100c (212) i.e. without a cap - change that to a 50/50 mix of water and ethylene glycol antifreeze in the cooling system will boil at 225°. Pressurizing the system with a spring-loaded cap raises the boiling temperature of the mix about 3° for every 1 psi of pressure. With a 15 psi cap, the boiling temperature will be up around 265° F
Old 06-29-2006, 06:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default how high

that is extremely helpful info azjulian. i am running with a 15 lb cap. it has been suggested by jclayton that i go to a 30 lb cap. i am feeling much better about the heat. took bad asp out tonight and for the first time took it on the highway. temp stayed at 90c. drove it in 45h,5th and 6th and the temp remained constant. thank you all for the invaluable info. success with these things really does come down to a team effort doesn't it. right now i'm about 30% antifreeze and 70% water with a full bottle of water wetter.
71 torino cobra 429 scj
66 ford galaxie 7 liter
68 buick wildcat 430

Last edited by mike knight; 06-29-2006 at 06:51 PM..