SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 06-27-2006, 10:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf 1837 408w 93mm turbo
Send a message via AIM to mike knight Send a message via Yahoo to mike knight
Not Ranked     
Default engine temp how high is "normal"

my car is a superformance #1837 with a 408w and the following:

fuel injection
stock rad with a 2300 cfm flex lite pusher fan ( i can't find anything larger that will fit. the intercooler is behind the rad so i am stuck with a pusher)
intercooled 93mm garrett turbo
fast management
93 lb injectors
running 5 lbs boost on the street (i have dynoed with 25 lbs and intercooler way too much for the street)
crower cam profiled for this set-up
4 bolt main
ke pistons
ferria valves
tfs heads ported
centerforce
tremec t56
idle 20 degrees advance over 2500 36 degrees
sorry about all the info but all goes into the equation
at issue is my operating temps are going up to about 220 degrees f. 105C. i have been driving around town and this seems to be where the temp is going to be. i have tried 50/50 antifreeze and i am now using 25/75 with a bottle of water wetter. i don't get boil over. on the road the temp hovers around 205f. incidentally at 55 in 6th the tack reads 1300 rpm. oil temp eventually matches coolant temp. fuel pressure and oil pressure stay in the green. i haven't pushed the car during daytime summer heat around here 90+ with 85% humidity. should i be concerned about these temps as i am close to max recommended operating temp or do some of you also operate at these levels?
71 torino cobra 429 scj
66 ford galaxie 7 liter
68 buick wildcat 430

Last edited by mike knight; 06-27-2006 at 10:36 AM..
Old 06-27-2006, 10:51 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Bought an Exact carbon car in TX. Bought a 427 sideoiler with 630 HP
Not Ranked     

Besides really needing a puller fan, what thermostat are you running? Should have a 195 or 210 probably. My Guess.
John
Old 06-27-2006, 10:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX 4995, Keith Craft built 427 SO
Send a message via MSN to 427SnakeSC Send a message via Yahoo to 427SnakeSC
Not Ranked     

My normal temp is about 190. I have a thermostatic fan with an overide switch.
"The 427 Cobra is easily the highest performance car ever sold for street use. A decent 427 - not the worst, not the best, will go from zero to 100 mph and back down again to zero in less than 14 seconds. All thing considered, you can put together a pretty good argument that the 427 Cobra is the ultimate performance car, judged on any basis you want to name." Taken from; Corvette, The Sensuous American

Last edited by 427SnakeSC; 06-27-2006 at 11:01 AM..
Old 06-27-2006, 10:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default how high

no thermostat. temp comes up really slow but climbs to 105c then seems to stay there.double you live in hell (june/july). what are your high numbers when the evening temps drop down to 90f.
thanks.
71 torino cobra 429 scj
66 ford galaxie 7 liter
68 buick wildcat 430

Last edited by mike knight; 06-27-2006 at 11:02 AM..
Old 06-27-2006, 11:03 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You don't want the engine to run too cold or your rings won't seal properly. The best temp is about 180 to 190. You want you temp to stay constant, that is why you should be using a themostat.
"The 427 Cobra is easily the highest performance car ever sold for street use. A decent 427 - not the worst, not the best, will go from zero to 100 mph and back down again to zero in less than 14 seconds. All thing considered, you can put together a pretty good argument that the 427 Cobra is the ultimate performance car, judged on any basis you want to name." Taken from; Corvette, The Sensuous American
Old 06-27-2006, 11:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default how high

forgot to mention i am running a thermo fan with on at 160. i also have an override switch. additionally i am running an electric water pump which provides constant flow from idle up as well as after the engine is shutdown i can run the pump and fan to cool down more rapidly if need be (purely precautionary)
71 torino cobra 429 scj
66 ford galaxie 7 liter
68 buick wildcat 430
Old 06-27-2006, 11:09 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sounds like a good system, but I don't think it is good for the rings if the motor runs cooler than 180. Maybe someone else here, on the forum can advise you on that.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default how high

thanks guys. i'm still not sure if my operating temps are safe. i have found a pusher fan from perma cool that is rated at 2750 cfm that will fit, not expensive either. i'll post any improvements and changes.

mike
71 torino cobra 429 scj
66 ford galaxie 7 liter
68 buick wildcat 430
Old 06-27-2006, 12:01 PM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Send a message via MSN to wtm442
Not Ranked     
Default No Thermostat???????????????

Use a thermostat. Without a thermostat, the water can run thru the radiator too quickly to remove enough heat ... so the engine runs hotter. Use somewhere between 180 and 195 ºF thermostat at all times. Using a thermostat will also speed up the time it takes to get to operating temp.

Engine oil temp and water temp should be equal when moving (80 to 90 ºC)

I assume that your gauges are accurate?????
Old 06-27-2006, 12:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Bought an Exact carbon car in TX. Bought a 427 sideoiler with 630 HP
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike knight
no thermostat. temp comes up really slow but climbs to 105c then seems to stay there.double you live in hell (june/july). what are your high numbers when the evening temps drop down to 90f.
thanks.
I haven't had the car out this summer. Just got the car back from paint and am re-assembling. It ran 90C with oil at 80C. Ambient temps in the low 90s. It's a big block with oil cooler, two pushers and one puller fan.
John
Old 06-27-2006, 12:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M 427 Top Oiler stroked to 482 by KC, Stage 2 heads, a Quikfuel and Voila, 640 hp
Not Ranked     

Use a good quality 180 degree thermostat. My 427 runs at ~ 185 all day long and never goes above 200 in traffic. Heat kills engines!

Tim

Douglas Adams - Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy
Old 06-27-2006, 12:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default how high

wtm, interesting about the no thermostat. i'll pop one in there and let you know. as far as the guages are concerned i am using smiths which came with the spf. the fast engine management system reports engine temp as well and the two are within a couple of degrees. the fuel pressure is spot on. i had to disconnect the oil pressure gauge as it is mechanical and came loose from the sender. it started a small fire while on the dyno. i have since ordered an electronic gauge set by autometer.
71 torino cobra 429 scj
66 ford galaxie 7 liter
68 buick wildcat 430
Old 06-27-2006, 12:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well, the only thing I can add over and above what has been mentioned, is timing. 20/36 seems pretty high for a turbo motor, especially at boost. This may attribute to temps. If nothing is working, even after a thermostat addition, drop the timing 4 degrees.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default how high

we will try the advance at 34 and see if that helps. the recommendation from fast, precision turbo and the dyno guru says timing up to 36d. no reason to run it at max recommended. thanks i'll keep posting. incidentally just a note about timing. i am using an msd distributor recommended for this engine. we ran it on the dyno and everything was great. i got about 5 miles and the tune went to sh**. i got home barely and opened the hood. you talk about hot. let it cool down and started the engine and watched he distributor spin about 6d. put the light on it and the laptop both are reading less than 10d. the distributor shaft was bottoming out. even though the distributor was the correct model the shaft was 60 thousandth too long. a friend has a precision machine shop and he made up several shims for me. the only other choice was to remove that 60ths from the distributor shaft. all of this work is not an easy undertaking for the average joe just looking to have fun with a high performance home built. you know if we spent the right amount of time thanking everyone for their time and help we wouldn't have any time left for driving these addictions.

thanks again

mike k.
71 torino cobra 429 scj
66 ford galaxie 7 liter
68 buick wildcat 430
Old 06-27-2006, 02:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

Yes I agree, run a thermostat, try a 180 first. Buy a high cfm puller, I have the flex-a-lite black magic 150 and incorporates a shroud, very important. My temps when down 20 deg.'s. Also, antifreeze will not help cooling. Add something like "water wetter" for lubrication. Check your timing also. Your temp should not go over say, 210 in traffic, on a hot day, if everything is working properly.
Old 06-27-2006, 04:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SUPERFORMANCE w DOUG MEYER ENGINE
Not Ranked     

Timing seems to be making a big difference on my car...........especially with the ethanol in the gas now.......at least in my area. So I backed off to 30 degrees, from 32, which my builder initially recommended. Then he called me and told me to back it off to 30.
With octane booster and whatknot I can turn it back up no problem, but with the lousy gas in my area............
30 miles from me I can still get 94 ultra, but my local stations only carry 93 now with ethanol.
Old 06-27-2006, 04:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1989 KCC from South Africa Right Hand Drive
Not Ranked     

Hi .to try to obtain any decent constant safe temps to be running without a thermostat is engine suicide. the best advice is put a thermostat in and stop all the concern about the other stuff,thats tuning
Old 06-27-2006, 07:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1245 w/ 1966 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Has anyone tried any of the "Super Coolants" on the market? I bought some "Water Wetter" from Red Line which claims your car will run "up to" 30 deg cooler. I put it in my Jeep and didn't noticed much of a difference. I was going to put it in my SPF but never got around to it. -I was more interested in their claims about it being an "excellent corrosion / erosion protector" than I was in lowering my cars temps (temps have always been fine). Royal Purple makes one as well.

Has anybody tried this stuff? If so, what were the results??

Last edited by TerrysSPF; 06-27-2006 at 07:37 PM..
Old 06-28-2006, 08:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I tried water wetter since antifreeze was not allowed on the track. I also added Prestone anti-rust for use as a lubricant since I was unsure if Water Wetter was a lubricant. I noticed a slight decrease in water temps.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 4241 - authentically built
Not Ranked     

Wait a minute... you're running 36 degrees of total timing on a turbo small block Ford? Something is not right there. That's a lot of timing, even for a natural motor. Unless you're running 120 octane on that thing, there's no way you can be running that kind of timing. You'd kill a head gasket in a hurry (among other things). Even 20 degrees of total advance is pushing it on pump gas with a turbo. Hell, I ran 24 degrees total advance on 118 octane on my 1000hp turbo Lightning, and mod motors have WAY better head sealing than SBFs do. Typical SBF turbo timing is in the 14-18 degree total advance area for pump gas.

See my car at CSXinfo.net here >> CSX 4241