SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2007, 06:30 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Bought an Exact carbon car in TX. Bought a 427 sideoiler with 630 HP
Not Ranked     
Default Center vs: side oiler

Is the difference between center oiler blocks and side oiler blocks just how they are drilled? I found a side oiler engine block that hasn't been drilled to be a side oiler and is represented therefore as a center oiler. Sorry about the stupid question. Thanks.
John

Last edited by double ugly; 01-10-2007 at 06:34 AM..
Old 01-10-2007, 07:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by double ugly
Is the difference between center oiler blocks and side oiler blocks just how they are drilled? I found a side oiler engine block that hasn't been drilled to be a side oiler and is represented therefore as a center oiler. Sorry about the stupid question. Thanks.
John
The original center oiler blocks did not have the appropriate casting for drilling "side oiler" oil galleries. Later on, after Ford came out with the Side oiler design which also had the appropriate casting for center oiler galleries as well, Ford used this casting for some 427 blocks but drilled out only the center oiler oil galleries. many of these engines were used in marine/industrial applications. You can drill out one of these center oiler blocks into a side oiler, but have it done by somebody who has done it before.

Also, as the engine mount pad is machined into the side of the block, in the same location as the side oiler galleries, I have heard that when ford machined these engine mounts into the side of the blocks, sometimes they machined them too deep, and then used these engine blocks that were to be drilled as side oilers and instead druilled them as center oilers. The moral to this is that some the side oiler blocks drilled as center oilers may not be able to be drilled out as side oiler.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."

Last edited by Anthony; 01-10-2007 at 08:04 AM..
Old 01-10-2007, 07:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Bought an Exact carbon car in TX. Bought a 427 sideoiler with 630 HP
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the information. That was a real good recap. It is a marine block so maybe it can be modified
John
Old 01-10-2007, 08:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

I am running a 427 center oiler (Top Oiler) and I am very pleased with it and the performance. I track my car so you can be assured that I give it a pretty good run in ever so often. I know the advantages of the S. O. but don't sell the center oiler short because it is a very durable and performance capable engine. The SideOiler was intended for long duration (Nascar & Grand Prix) races inwhich the engine was turning in excess of 7000 RPM's for several hours at a time. Most of us don't do that on a regular basis and if we do it is only for a few miles or a few minutes at a time.

There is nothing wrong with overkill but do you really need it or do you just want the bragging rights of owning a sideoiler?

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 01-10-2007, 08:37 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Like so many things in this hobby it's for bragging rights. The project I'm thinking of starting would require (in my mind) a side oiler. I have a neighbor lady that has a Lamborghini Galardo that hasn't seen seventy miles an hour.
Same mentality, I guess.
John
Old 01-10-2007, 08:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Not a problem, we all like to do a little bragging now and then. By the way I think you can take your neighbor on the Lambo's best day, up to a point.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 01-10-2007, 09:20 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I could beat the car with her driving on my bicycle.
John
Old 03-21-2007, 03:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

When looking at a used Cobra for sale, how does a relative neophyte decipher an early versus late center/top oiler and whether the particular center/top oiler could ultimately be drilled as a side oiler? Also, assuming all other things being equal, what is the value difference, when evaluating a used Cobra for purchase, between having an original side oiler engine versus an original center/top oiler engine?
Old 03-22-2007, 07:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: TBD, other is 67 Mustang GTA 390 Convertible w/air,
Send a message via Skype™ to fostereast
Not Ranked     
Default Center Oiler

The early ones did not have the boss or ridge along the side to drill as a side oiler.

Center oiler is a good motor. Value of a sideoiler over a center oiler is the wow factor once it is built, IMHO, I would strongly suggest not going to the trouble to drill a centeroiler to a sideoiler, it's not cheap and in general offer no benefits, unless it's a racing motor, and even then the centeroiler won lots of races too.

If I'm not mistaken the original centeroilers did not have screw in freeze plugs. Someone can correct me on this if I am wrong
Old 03-22-2007, 10:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

fostereast, thank you for your answer.

I'm considering the purchase of a Cobra with a center/top oiler, so I'm trying to understand the value added by having a side-oiler. I agree with you, by the time you pull the engine and take it apart, getting a side-oiler would make more sense than drilling a center/top oiler. For me at least.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Friend of mine bought his Hi Tech (older, nice original spec car) for ONE simple reason, it had a side oiler. I must admit I bought my ERA for ONE simple reason, it had a side oiler. IF it had a 428 I do believe I would have passed on the car, even at a nice price. A center oiler would have been acceptable, but it would have missed 'just enough' that it would bother me...

For me, and for my friend, we knew what we wanted, and that was the end of that. Nothing less would do. Now having said that, if and when I ever sell the ERA I could find happiness with a small block FFR or similiar. But for once, at least ONCE, I just HAD to have side oiler. Not even bragging rights, it was something deeply personal within myself, a chance to play with and experience the 'holy grail'.

Last edited by Excaliber; 03-22-2007 at 10:30 PM..