SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2007, 11:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX 4766 (Vegas Built) with 482 Aluminum Pond motor
Not Ranked     
Default Want to up grade the shocks on my Shelby Cobra

Wondering what others are running and what is the cost you paid. The shock on the CSX Cobra I have is a Pro Shock, I think. Thinking about Bilstein are something of equal quality. I know Kirkham run a Penske, right?

Wonder about the cost of those and if they fit the CSX Cobra?

Anybody know the length I need for front and rear? The springs on there are all wrong 700lb in back and 650 in the front.

Really want to get the suspension dialed in. Spoke with Tom at Tom's Motorsports. He charges around 1000K for basic alignment and two switch out the back springs. Still considering it.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:05 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCSX1
....He charges around 1000K for basic alignment and two switch out the back springs. Still considering it.
I personally think a million bucks is a little high for an alignment...
...but, what the hell...it's a real Shelby.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerworks
I personally think a million bucks is a little high for an alignment...
...but, what the hell...it's a real Shelby.
Your no help... As you can see I still have not gotten over the Barrett -Jackson experience.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The Kirkham cars do run a Penske shock but are not adjustable. (I have the non adjustables on mine and really like them) They have an upgrade available for the dual adjustable for about $2500
Old 01-24-2007, 03:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: genuine 289 cobra (cox 6013)
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCSX1
Wondering what others are running and what is the cost you paid. The shock on the CSX Cobra I have is a Pro Shock, I think. Thinking about Bilstein are something of equal quality. I know Kirkham run a Penske, right?

Wonder about the cost of those and if they fit the CSX Cobra?

Anybody know the length I need for front and rear? The springs on there are all wrong 700lb in back and 650 in the front.

Really want to get the suspension dialed in. Spoke with Tom at Tom's Motorsports. He charges around 1000K for basic alignment and two switch out the back springs. Still considering it.
LOt of testing on my 289 for racing,front spring rate 350,rear 225 work great with good assistance from Koni america with aluminium double adjustable KONI
Bernie
Old 01-24-2007, 06:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS 427, Keith Craft 501,Toploader
Not Ranked     

I'm guessing you mean $1000, right? I think you're crazy if your considering paying that. You can have your car alligned at you local Ford dealership, they will have the best available machines to do the job, (probably around $300 or so). You can surely change out your own springs, right? Springs are about $50 to $75 each. Like Bernie said, par is 375 front and 250 rear. Who the heck figured out the spring rates on your car anyway? The length of shocks to replace your Pro Shocks will be of course the same length as the shocks you have now. Why would you even want to change shocks anyway? Pro Shocks are very good shocks.
Tim
Old 01-25-2007, 01:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 SC
Send a message via AIM to kris-kincaid Send a message via Skype™ to kris-kincaid
Not Ranked     

Morgan, I know Tom custom valves Bilsteins, and also has a shock dyno. Those may be the ones to go with.

Tim,

At first, $1000 seems insane, but you can easily have 8 hours in a CSX4000 alignment. Springs are closer to $75-ish a piece. I've never heard a bad word about Tom's work, and have never heard anybody complain about what they paid. Everybody notices a difference afterwards

The spring rates that Morgan listed are very common on original style 427's. I've heard it has something to do with the 42 gallon tank in the back.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 S/C #253, KCR Built CSX #452
Not Ranked     
Default Getting what you pay for

Morgan,

I'm sure that you have heard many testify how good Tom's work is and how fair he is with his costs.

Tom gives estimates based upon the amount of time he believes it should take. He has a ton of experience setting these cars up and he personally tests these cars on the track continually (along with several other cars).

You know many of his happy customers so why not just bite the bullet and get it done right the first time around.

Good luck and I hope to see you and your car at some of the tracks this year.

Scott
kmp253

Last edited by sshurts; 01-25-2007 at 07:49 AM..
Old 01-25-2007, 07:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #259
Not Ranked     

Morgan

Here are the things to work out before you turn a wrench......

Instant Centers
Roll Center
Ride Height
Wheel Rate
Anti-Roll Bar Rate

Then
Springs from the Wheel Rate will tell you how to set the shocks
Shocks need to be set up on a shock dyno

Penske Shocks are so good because you can not only make changes with bump and rebound ...... but you can change the charge of Nitrogen to change spring rates.....

Then use roll bars to balance chassis based on tire temps.....

So my point is that there is a lot of thought that goes into setting a chassis up .... for any track ...... and each track is different.....

Unless you know all of this stuff..... you might want to use Tom.....as he and I talk and compare notes frequently and he is very knowledgeable about Cobra's.....and has the experence....... you need .....

We spend hours on scales just balancing the chassis and then time on a track balancing the front to rear roll rates.....

If I was out there ...we'd be glad to help .... but we are not.....

Go see Tom ...

Morris
Old 01-25-2007, 07:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default This is what makes this web site great!

People who have responded to my questions. I have a great deal of respect for you all and thanks for the input.

Kris,
You are right on every point. I was just wondering for the style of driving that I do if I might be better off with a over the counter Bilstien that I can buy direct or even a non adjustable Penske which Kirkham sells. I think I am going to have Tom do the work on the Cobra however I don't have 1500.00 to spend on his custom valved shocks. I figured that I would buy the shocks first then bring it to him to do the work.

Morris,
Thank you for your insite. I am still following your thread on the Kirkham forum. Always very interesting.

Last edited by RedCSX1; 01-25-2007 at 01:26 PM..
Old 01-25-2007, 10:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Alum bodied CSX4266, fuel injected alloy 472, 663 hp Engine built by Dralle. Suspension by Tom Barnard
Not Ranked     

Morgan, for what it's worth, I suggest you have Tom do the work. He has completely redone my entire shock / spring / alignment package on my car. Tom knows exactly what these cars need and like. My car has never driven better since Tom has worked on it. I promise you, you WILL NOT be dissapointed!
Old 01-25-2007, 10:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

Tom not only really knows his stuff (he maintains and drives several of the Shelby Spec racers), he is also one of the nicest guys you'll ever do business with. Another vote for having Tom do your work. I'm sure it will be worth every penny.