SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2001, 12:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Greasemonkey,

Don't forget to factor in the labor already in the SPF cars in getting them to turnkey minus status. The way I see things, for what it's worth, is that it really all boils down to personal preferences--value, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. There are guys with SPFs and FFRs in the Bay Area Cobra Club...they're all very well done, but of course the guys with the FFRs put a lot of time into building or paid for someone else to do it. And this isn't always the result of a lower initial cost--a fair number of folks really enjoy building a car. As to SPF v. CSX 4000 cars, I'm not sure how the CSX roller compares with the SPF turnkey minus car as to completeness, and therefore can't know for sure if you're comparing apples to apples on cost--but certainly the CSX car is very good as well. Dan Semko has suggested one approach that might help potential customers get a better sense of how the various makes, similarly outfitted as rollers (I think), would stack up against one another--seems like a pretty good idea.

TT
Old 08-17-2001, 09:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Greasemonkey,

If you can get a CSX for $44K USD, jump all over it!

Lots of folks have best-of-intention, and an I-can-do-it attitude. They buy kits to put them together and never finish because the drag of tracking down parts and working on something that seems will never be finished. Lots of half-finished kits out there. Please know that up front. If you still want to build one, and honestly have the skills- have at it.

On the other hand, if you want a car you can enjoy (its easier to work to pay it off than it is to get it done - or so it seems) then stretch a little and get a car that is complete. I have a SPF and did the same research and questioning that you are doing. I won't tell you which way to go, but in the end it was real clear for me.

I hope you will have the same luck.

Brad
Old 08-18-2001, 06:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Brad, I got the csx price from their website a few days ago. I believe $44k for fibreglass and only another $30k gets you the aluminum hand made body. Thats why I questioned the SPF route. Still undecided but price is a big factor, thanks for the opinions, Ive learned alot form you guys.
Paul.
Old 08-20-2001, 02:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Empty handed for the moment
Send a message via AIM to Snakecharmer
Not Ranked     

GM,

You may be right about the csx cars. Even if they do included everything that the SPF's include, one would still have to decide if the name is worth the extra cost. I know the components are different - Girling vs. Wilwood brakes, round vs. square frame, etc. A purely personal decision.

What I meant by amazingly similar in cost and appearance (between finished FFR and SPF cars) assumes that your attention to detail is impeccable.

For instance, consider the cost of the following examples, which are all possible upgrades to FFR but standard on SPF:
IRS
alumimum rear housing
real pin drive wheels
adjustable race suspension (lots of details)
beautiful body work and paint job w/ stripes
leather interior
Original looking dash w/ components
Etc.

If you've got the time and ability to install/apply these items with the level of quality that SPF does, your resulting cost, including a fair estimate for your labor, will be very similar.

They would both be great cars....I just hate to see and hear about people getting into a cobra build with a low budget in mind, only to find out that it costs too much and they can't afford to finish it.

If you've got the time and know-how, go for it! Best of luck with your decision. We're hear to help and we're all pulling for you!

Charmer