Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2008, 03:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison Cobra, SC540 Roadster
Not Ranked     
Default SC 540 Build Photos

I have had the kit for about 5months now and progressing well. I am about 50% finished and I hope to have it ready to be painted by christmas. This would have to one of the easiest kits to build in the country. It comes with a pretty good build manual and about 200 build photos.

Warren
Chucky likes this.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Warren, you really are moving fast. Well done.

Have you started it up yet?

Very tidy job actually, even the brake lines and abs install look professional and factory.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Great job, these kits are a fantastic concept and when a finished will get a few people scratching their heads with the factory dash etc. Keep us posted.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra RMC 377ci Windsor, Harrison Daytona Coupe, Ford XC Coupe.
Not Ranked     

Warren,

Looks fantastic, nearly factory install.

I think with the latest range of Kit Cars (SC 540, Harrison Daytona, Superformance GT40, RCR ) the industry will be healthier than ever, even with the draconian rego laws that keep us on our toes. The professionalism and attention to detail will make it alot easier for "Back Yard" mechanics to attempt a build.

They even have build manuals now

STIFFY
Old 08-06-2008, 04:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKIII, SPO2891, SPO1649
Not Ranked     
Default I am clueless

Hi guys,

At the risk of sounding a bit dense I am going to ask. What is an SC 540 Kit? Looks mighty interesting.

Thanks in advance for a reply.

Juan

2432 Crittenden Drive, Suite 201
Louisville, KY 40217
http://www.kentuckycobraclub.com
juan@lbrdesign.com
502-558-2904
Old 08-06-2008, 06:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Hi Juan,

The SC540 is a replica of the Cobra Concept car that Ford built a few years back but never put into production. I believe it was called project daisy.

The SC540 has been developed by a long time Australian Kit manufacturer.
Here's a link to their web page: Copy Cat Cars

Old 08-06-2008, 06:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKIII, SPO2891, SPO1649
Not Ranked     
Default Wow!!!

That is one beautiful car. I love it.

Thanks for sharing.

Juan

2432 Crittenden Drive, Suite 201
Louisville, KY 40217
http://www.kentuckycobraclub.com
juan@lbrdesign.com
502-558-2904
Old 08-06-2008, 07:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

It is am important part of Ford heritage and they should have produced it! Looking forward to seeing it Warren.

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace Alumina 427 #69
Not Ranked     

Love the Alloy chassis. Welding looks awesome. The SC540 looks like a great daily driver, I'm keen.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Until Mike threw up his post and picture and reminded me about the concept car, I was going to say the modern interior in an old school design would look tacky to my eye.

Clearly the modern remodelled version suits the modern interior or visa versa and I reckon that would be one cool way to convert your BA.

Can later B series cars be used or did bits change enough to make it difficult to transfer. If you could get a tiptronic type box into it that would be the bees knees!!

Only concern I had looking at the engine bay was the clearance between frame and valve covers. What sort of gap have you got in there Warren?

Cheers
Old 08-06-2008, 09:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Craig
I am hoping to start the motor in about a months time. I used a tube bender on the brake and fuel line which helps give them a more professional look, but there was a bit frustration getting them to look like that.
Whats makes it quick to build is that when you move the parts from the falcon over to the chassis everything line up. There is virtually no guess work involved when putting the parts together. Using the complete falcon wiring harness cuts the wiring of the car down to couple of days.

Stiffy,
I think it is about time that these sort of kits become available here. The ease of constructon and good build manuals, I think, helps the finished product get away from the back yard look

Albanycobra,
The alloy chassis is great to work with. Driiling ,filing or thread tapping no problems at all and looks good as well.
It would make a great daily driver as it would have a simular feel to a falcon to drive, but with smaller turning circle and a few hundred kilos lighter. It will have all of the falcon mod cons as well a hardtop(which will be made to look like a soft top) and electric windows

Stephan,
I used a BF XR8 for a doner car and the only difference was the the ABS motor and P/S cooler. If I couldn't find a 6 speed manual I was going to get a 6 speed auto. The autos, as you would expect, are lot more plentiful.
The tappet covers have the standard clearence you would expect in any cobra build, the width of your fingers. To remove that tappet covers the motor has to come out. Other than the tappet covers evething else around the motor is accessable.

Just as a matter of interest DRB Sportcars will now be the manufacturer of the SC 540

Warren
Old 10-09-2008, 07:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

This looks like a great kit. I have been doing some investigation and keen to do one of these myself. Have you progressed any further? Some update pics would be great. How have you found it goes together?

Grant
Old 10-10-2008, 12:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Grant,

Although I have done a bit more you wouldn't see much difference from the photos that have already been posted. The last couple of months I have not spent as much time on it as I would I have liked. When there is something to see I will post some new pictures. I should be ready to start it in a week or two and should be close to having it finished around Christmas/ New Year(except for painting and interior).

This kit would have to be one of the easiest cars to put together that is available in Australia now. Everything from the doner car is easy to fit and goes together very quickly. The quality and finish of the kit is very good with door, bonnet and boot gaps excellent.

Warren
Old 10-10-2008, 02:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Mmmmm nice
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 10-31-2008, 04:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB SC540
Not Ranked     
Default michael

Hi I have just bought the cobra540, now waiting for the donor car to come up, what year falcon did you get I have been told you can go back three years from the date you take on the new one ADR rules we pay a big part in the build i will need to look for a 2005 2006 2007 modle Cant wait to get started.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tabey25
You made a good choice getting the SC 540. You will find it is easy to build and will come together pretty quick. Even if you haven't got you doner car there is a fair bit of work that you can do.
I used a 2006 BF. At this stage in Queensland we can use all of the BA/BF models from 2003.
Don't just look at the Melbourne auctions, Adelaide and Sydney are close enough that the transports cost are reasonable.
Is your kit from Copycat cars or DRB Sportscar?

I will add some more updated pictures this week.

Warren
Old 11-01-2008, 07:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Warren Great looking car and the time its taking you shows how well the kit must be put together.
Makes me think about the skills of the peron(s) who originally made the kit. They must have developed the body off pictures (would ford have lent them a mould doubt it) through computer rendering, then transposed the BA parts onto the kit. Doubt if ford gave him these drawings either so he would have measured them all. Then hours of work taking the computer drawings and turning them into reality.
There are some clever bastards out there (like Fastpatrick on another thread here) I take my hat off to them.
Bruce
Old 11-01-2008, 06:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

This looks like a great build. I am also thinking of undertaking this kit as it looks a lot easier since all the parts are off the one car. Is there much fabrication needed to get this completed? Also if you dont mind me asking, how much will this build cost to get it finished?

I have noticed theres a semi-completed sc540 for sale on the internet for $70,000. http://www.carpoint.com.au/used-car/...sn6373294.aspx
Old 11-02-2008, 05:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I think the kit was developed by the one and only Denis R Bedford..... or DRB for short.....
Towmaster..
Old 11-03-2008, 02:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB, FORD 302W,T5
Not Ranked     

The "540" is one of Denis' best creations -- its brilliant!

This'll get you motivated :-

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/864433...rs_info20_com/