Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-23-2009, 10:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison Cobra, SC540 Roadster
Not Ranked     

Cobber,
With BA/BF Falcon front suspension it will be a bit difficult, but with a FG front susension I would think it wouldn't be to hard as the FG and Territory have a similar setup. As there are no manual Territorys it would easier with a auto. DRB are going to do add extra mount points on the front of their chassis that will enable either BA/BF or FG Falcons to be used

Would be different an all wheel drive 540 Roadster.

Warren
Old 05-24-2009, 12:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

There are some pretty ugly cars on that 'site! Our poor mates in NZ have a lot to put up with!

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch build, with help
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merv and Sharon View Post
There are some pretty ugly cars on that 'site! Our poor mates in NZ have a lot to put up with!

Merv
there also so good ones
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=220761920

ps where were the ozy drivers in the indy 500?
Old 05-26-2009, 01:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Not Ranked     

That IS a nice one Maurice! Looks very well made. Not sure about the Indy 500 - didn't seem to rate any news coverage at all here.

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice Butler View Post
there also so good ones
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=220761920

ps where were the ozy drivers in the indy 500?
Is that a rare model healy?

whats the Indy 500...is that anywhere near Bathurst?

Last edited by Tenrocca; 05-26-2009 at 10:13 PM..
Old 05-26-2009, 09:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I guess that everyone has seen this one before:

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I was looking at engine options (as part of the will I do it thought process) and was considering the supercharged 5.5 from the Mustang, or one of the crate engines such as one I have previously mentioned. I have been advised that the American engines won't be compatible to the Australian donor car computer systems and has different plugs...does anyone know how difficult/expensive this would be to overcome?
Old 06-02-2009, 11:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison supercharged
Send a message via MSN to hsv300 Send a message via Skype™ to hsv300
Not Ranked     

Talk to Peter I think he sells Autronic SM4 ECU should be able to get that to work on the 5.4..... I have this ECU on my 4.6 Supercharged Cobra motor and works fine.

Cheers Greg
Old 06-03-2009, 10:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB540
Not Ranked     
Question Drb540

I am currently building my dream shed and when finished I will build my dream car - DRB540. I have purchased a running 5 Speed Manual BA Boss 290 GT which I will use as the donor car. I am waiting for the hardtop to be completed before I order the car. is there anyone in Western Australia that can tell me who I can contact regarding getting the thing licensed as I have never done this sort of thing before and really need to know what I need to do. Good luck on your build you lucky bugger.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB SC540
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox123 View Post
I am currently building my dream shed and when finished I will build my dream car - DRB540. I have purchased a running 5 Speed Manual BA Boss 290 GT which I will use as the donor car. I am waiting for the hardtop to be completed before I order the car. is there anyone in Western Australia that can tell me who I can contact regarding getting the thing licensed as I have never done this sort of thing before and really need to know what I need to do. Good luck on your build you lucky bugger.
Hi Fox123 I have got the new 540 nearlly finished at paint at the moment.
With your donor car you need to speak to some one in the rego dept to find out what yr you can go back for the ADR rules on pollutions ect.
He in Victoria we can go back 3yrs from the car build date and have three yrs to build it, all states have diffrent regs. eg mine is a 2009 kit so i can have a 2008,2007,2006 donor car, I have a BF mk2 12/2007 but firist rego was in 15/06/08 with only 6,000ks, The only concern i had that the air bags had to be removed, because there havnt been tested in this kit and the word air bag on the dash had to go, in case the car was on sold.

Michael
Old 07-10-2009, 04:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB 540
Not Ranked     

Hi Warren,just wondering how the progress on your 540 is going,i see peters busy doing a few tests on seatbelts and parking lights at the moment.Im just getting around to fitting the heatshield into the car.

Hi Michael,hows the painter getting along with your car,should be close to the finish line now,how bout a couple of progress pictures on the car in the paint shop.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Paul what do those 540's weigh compared to a Cobra, for example? They are certainly becoming very popular.

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Merv,no where near as light as the original cobra shape.The body,chassis unit is around 400kgs,heres some info:
VEHICLE MANUFACTURER : DRB
MODEL : 540 ROADSTER
YEAR OF MANUFACTURE : 2008
CHASSIS No/VIN : SC540-01
TEST DATE : 19/9/2008

LOAD & DIMENSION DETAILS.

Standard Vehicle Unladen Weight 1500 kg

Number of Seating Positions 2

GVM 1650 kg

Vehicle Track Front 1580¬ mm. Rear 1620 mm

Wheelbase 2520 mm

PAUL
Old 07-10-2009, 09:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Jezzus there bloody heavy.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

yeah bit of weight,but a lot bigger car,as boxhead said doors are about as big as his front guard. suppose they make a good sunday cruzer.still go alright but
Old 07-10-2009, 10:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

In all reality there a pig, even if i dropped my alloy blocked boss engine in one it'd still be awfully heavy and handle like a boat.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am sure there is lots that could be done suspension-wise to lighten and stiffen the chassis, if needed. My WRX STi was 1350kg and it handled pretty well.

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison Cobra, SC540 Roadster
Not Ranked     

Hi Paul,
Not much happening at the moment due to work committments, but I hope to get back into it in a couple of weeks. If I can get the parts I require I hope to have it painted by Christmas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLWNCOBRA View Post
In all reality there a pig, even if i dropped my alloy blocked boss engine in one it'd still be awfully heavy and handle like a boat.
A bit harsh.

At the double lane change testing earlier this I heard the handling of the DRB540 made a lighter popular V8 powered kit car, which was also doing the same test, look pretty ordinary.

Warren

Last edited by WKB; 07-11-2009 at 02:14 AM..
Old 07-11-2009, 03:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

BLWNCOBRA,you have driven one of these then,wished i had the chance to drive one and be able to comment truthfully on how they handle.6-8 months time hopefully i will be able to let you know.

Hi Warren,
work sure does hold up the progress on projects mine is still untouched as of work committments also.The heatshield arrived yesterday as well as the tank.lights andcarpet are ordered and the primer,etch and materials are on there way so trying to take 4-5 weeks holiday and hopefully put a dent in the build time.
Paul

Last edited by paul68; 07-11-2009 at 03:18 AM.. Reason: missed reply
Old 11-10-2009, 04:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB540
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post
dont know about the bf but the ba air bag sensors are across the front of the vehicle

i have been told that ford supply a blank to fit in both the steering wheel and passanger dash and when i inquired about this was never told that i have to run anything for the computers to read - yes there are three computers that talk to each other and the motor and box will run with only the ecu (engine bay comp) but it has to have the internal switches turned off as its not looking for the other two

now i dont know about other states but as i said in an earlier post here in w.a. the licensing group (dept planning and infrastructure) will not let me license a modified or kit car with working airbags (even if they seem to be set up correctly) unless i have the certificates and what ever (this means that the manufacturer or other needs to setup and crash an amount of vehicles at a.d.r standards) that under the proper situations they are going to work 100% correctly

maybe drb sportscars have already done this
I am in Country WA, Have ordered my DRB and have the Donar car sitting in the shed. Can someone please help with who I need to contact to start the build and get it registered etc.