Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-25-2010, 05:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Motorcraft FL-1hp pressure drop

I have been looking at oil filters. Many filters are practically useless (or I thought) because they have a dirty side bypass. In other words, the bypass is at the base of the oil filter and if the bypass opens (normally 9-11 psig differential across filter) it flushes the dirty side of the filter media into the engine. Ford Motorcraft on the other hand has a clean side bypass, it is fantastic design. I have no idea why all filters would not be designed this way.

I decided to determine the pressure drop across my new FL-1HP oil filter with Mobil 1 10W40. The FL-1HP ($14.99) bypass activates at 22 psig, as compared to 11 psig for the standard FL-1A ($3.79). Since I have a remote oil filter adapter with two extra ports it was rather simple. I just installed a gauge on each side, then swaped the gauges from side to side to ensure accuracy.

I was blown away to determine the pressure drop across the filter is under 3 psig once the oil hits 80C or higher. Even at start up with cold oil the differential was only 4 psig, outside temp 85F. The bottom line as long as you oil filter media does not get damaged, you are filtering 100% of you oil all the time!!!! In the end the regular FL-1A would suffice as would most oil filters since the bypass is unlikely to open at least above 85F ambient temperature.

Engine is a 351 with a Melling high volume oil pump.

Last edited by madmaxx; 10-28-2010 at 05:45 PM..
Old 10-25-2010, 05:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fords
Not Ranked     

I would pay ( or trade cars for an afternoon) to hear what the results of that test would be with a Mobil 1 filter.

Z.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

I'm interested in how the other filter brands do.

I alway use a Motorcraft filter but it would be interesting to see what the others do.

MadMaxx, since you're set up to do the testing, why don't you buy a couple of filters and test them for us????

Dwight
Old 10-25-2010, 07:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

What I have left out is the oil testing I also did. I used Mobil 1 15W50, 10W30 and 10W40. I flushed the system each time between oil changes. I disconnected the return line from the oil cooler at the block and pumped two quarts through to ensure no cross contamination. At 100C and 3000 rpm the 10w30 was 53 pisg, the 10w40 was 58 psig and 15w50 was 63 psig. It appears each jump in viscosity was good for 5 psig, what was bad though was the 15w50 took forever to warm up where the rv in the oil pump was not popping and it was 85F outside. I could not imagine what would happen in the winter. Above 3000 rpm the oil pressure flat lines. It appears the "sweet spot" for mine if you are believer in 10 psig for every 1000 rpm is the 10W40. All were synthetic so wide viscosity ranges are not a problem.

The funny thing with my filter testing is I was getting pressure 10 psig higher than my gauge. Tomorrow I am taking the two gauges I got to a shop which will check calibration. Absolute value did not matter much since I was not looking for actual values but relative pressure drop across the filters. If in fact they are accurate I am getting a 10 psig pressure drop from the remote filter housing to the engine. In otherwords through the hoses and oil cooler.

My wife refuses to allow me to cut open any more filters, have her hold any more gagues, or have me smell like gasoline all night, LOL. I gave up beer 7 weeks ago, lost 8lbs and only run 3 nights a week instead of 5, she says she was happier when I was drinking LOL. Once she recovers I would like to test a Royal Purple filter since they have the sythetic media. I also sent the an email request asking their flowrates, pressure drops etc. My guess is the pressure drop will be large.

If I had to do it again I would have splurged for the Mobil 1 0W40, best of both worlds, thin as 10W30 when cold but 40W when hot. I have to admit the valve train is quieter with the 40W after some pretty hard driving.

In my discussions with coworkers a guy told me about a filtermag, he brought it to work, holy sheet, I could barely pull it off the oil filter is stuck so strong. I dont see the advantage, but I also dont think it would hurt. I could see the advantage if the filter would bypass often but since the motorcraft doesnt it should catch any debris.

I did remove the oil pan the first time and it was as clean as a surgical instrument, so filters do a heck of a job or the engine is not experiencing any wear.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UK Ram SC. KC-Yates 373, Jerico 5 speed.
Not Ranked     
Default Motorcraft FL-1hp pressure drop

What about a Canton 25-106 - CM -45 REMOTE OIL FILTER -12 PORTS (25-106) with a 4-5/8" synthetic fiber element.
They claim filtering down to 8 microns and 45gpm.

The 1960's rocked!
Old 10-26-2010, 06:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

Here's what I did--used a standard remote spin-on filter mount to "pre-filter" the oil, then plumbed in one of these Oberg "sandwich" type filters to the outlet of the spin-on filter, then out of the Oberg back into the flow stream.

They have different size screens, but the most common is 60 microns.

http://store.obergfilters.com/oil.html

In the end, I think it was overkill....it was a street car that never really saw over 5500 RPM. If I do it again, I think I'll deep-six the spin-on and just go with the Oberg. The Oberg model I used had a "tattle-tale" feature that I used to operate a little light on the gauge mount. If the light came on, that meant that the filter screen was plugged up and the "bypass" had become activated. I never saw the light....every time I changed the oil, I checked the screen, never once found any sort of debris on it. The spin-on filter was just a standard Fram.

Cheers from Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!
Old 10-26-2010, 07:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Do yourself a favor and cut open a fram filter, paper ends, filter media glued together not sewn, and dirty side bypass, i dont know if there is a worst made filter on the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YerDugliness View Post
Here's what I did--used a standard remote spin-on filter mount to "pre-filter" the oil, then plumbed in one of these Oberg "sandwich" type filters to the outlet of the spin-on filter, then out of the Oberg back into the flow stream.

They have different size screens, but the most common is 60 microns.

http://store.obergfilters.com/oil.html

In the end, I think it was overkill....it was a street car that never really saw over 5500 RPM. If I do it again, I think I'll deep-six the spin-on and just go with the Oberg. The Oberg model I used had a "tattle-tale" feature that I used to operate a little light on the gauge mount. If the light came on, that meant that the filter screen was plugged up and the "bypass" had become activated. I never saw the light....every time I changed the oil, I checked the screen, never once found any sort of debris on it. The spin-on filter was just a standard Fram.

Cheers from Dugly
Old 10-26-2010, 08:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1715, Roush Built 434 ci Stroker, Dart Block, Ported AFR 205 Heads... 561 hp / 547 tq, Former Roush Show Car, Completed and Prepped By Olthoff Racing.
Not Ranked     

Any info on K&N? I was using the FL1HP and switched to K&N because it is easier to get off using a socket instead of a filter wrench. I know K&N makes quality air filters, I wonder if their oil filters are as good?
Old 10-26-2010, 10:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx View Post
Do yourself a favor and cut open a fram filter, paper ends, filter media glued together not sewn, and dirty side bypass, i dont know if there is a worst made filter on the market.
Right, Madmaxx...I only used it to filter out the "gross" contaminants in the oil stream, was VERY surprised that the downstream Oberg filter screen was always so clean! I fully expected it to be full of debris the Fram had allowed through the bypass or was unfiltered by the Fram media.

I don't use Fram filters any more, always get Wix filters for my "regular" cars, which have a very good reputation for build quality.

The Oberg is expensive, though....until you realize they are machined for mounting to a fenderwell so you don't need to buy a remote location mount. And....no need to ever buy another filter, the screen is designed to be easily backflushed and re-used. I even like the idea that you can get filter screens of different "micron" specifications.

One thing is true, though......Fram gets no more of my money!! I've used Fram products on many cars, almost all of which easily made 250,000 miles before they started to use any oil, but for my Cobra, no way, no how!

As for the issue at hand, though....I'd really like to know how much pressure drop occurs from the Oberg filter system. I've never seen any sort of information regarding that issue. Interesting......may email Oberg and see if they have any information about that.

[EDIT--email sent, I found this on their FAQ page:

"Will an Oberg Filter increase oil flow?
Yes, using Oberg Filters increases oil flow. Click the image to see an enlarged chart with specific oil pressure results. Compare these features and you will see why Oberg is setting the industry standard.

The chart shows that the Oberg Billet Filter has less pressure loss than disposable filters. That means you get higher oil pressure and more lubrication to your engine's vital parts. Better lubrication means longer life."

Sorry I couldn't get the chart to reproduce....here's a link:

http://obergfilters.com/faq.html#faq4

Dugly]

Cheers from Dugly

Last edited by YerDugliness; 10-26-2010 at 10:38 AM.. Reason: add Oberg oil filter FAQ information
Old 10-26-2010, 11:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by YerDugliness View Post
As for the issue at hand, though....I'd really like to know how much pressure drop occurs from the Oberg filter system. I've never seen any sort of information regarding that issue. Interesting......may email Oberg and see if they have any information about that.
Cheers from Dugly
Oberg was quite quick with their response....while they did not define their product's pressure loss, here's what they had to say:

"Hello Doug,

First of all I would like to thank you for your interest in our filter. For many years Oberg filters have been used in not only the racing and performance industries, but also industrial, commercial, agricultural and even consumer markets. A few of the main reasons they are so popular are the obvious benefits of a remote mount filter, the removable, cleanable screen for diagnostics and the lifetime filter housing. A few lesser known benefits are the fact that because of the remote mount and innovative “finned” design the filter will actually aide in cooling your oil if you can mount it where it will get some air flow to it. There is also the matter of increased oil pressure. Because of the unique “Full Flow” design and surface area of the Oberg filter the volumes are greater than and less restrictive than that of a typical canister filter. These two innovations have allowed customers to gain 5-10 psi of oil pressure and anywhere from 5 to 15 degrees of oil cooling. With the bullet proof Billet Aluminum housing and German woven stainless steel screen, the Oberg filter could be the last filter you ever buy.

Thank you,

Tony Wolford

General Manager"

I guess I didn't realize there was greater surface area of the filtration material compared to the pleated paper filters.....the cooling effect is just icing on the cake.

They also make a "double screen" design....allows filters of two different sizes to be used simultaneously....sorta like I did with the Fram to filter out the larger contaminants and the Oberg to filter out the smaller, but all in one small package.

Add the "tattle-tale" feature, and there's no doubt, ever, whether your oil is getting filtered or not.

Cheers from Dugly

Old 10-26-2010, 12:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I had my $9.00 harbor freight gauges calibrated. I was blown away, they are within 1/2psig accuracy!!!! I also had the smith gauge calibrated, it is off 3 psig at 60 psig, so when the gauge reads 60 actual is 63 psig. What this is telling us is I have a 7 psig pressure drop across my oil cooler and associated plumbing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Melling sets up their oil pumps to relieve at 60psig, if you installed without increasing the factory setting the most oil pressure you would see on your dash with an oil cooler set up is 53 psig!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

In summary pressure drop across the FL-1HP is neglibible to the point you are guaranteed 100 filtration at any ambient temp above 50F.
If you run an oil cooler you need to jack up the rv setting on the oil pump to account for the pressure drop or you will not get the desired 10 psig per 1000 rpm's.

When my oil was cold I was getting reading of 75 psig at the filter and 67 psig at the gauge on the dash. So my oil pump rv is set at 75 psig.

For 99% oil coolers are a waste, it takes longer for the oil to warm, it requires higher discharge pressure from the oil pump. The only good thing is differential pressure testing across the oil filters. From now on I am sticking with the Motorcraft FL-1A from walmart at $3.85 instead of the $15.00 FL-1hp.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

YerDugliness,

I accessed their chart, funny it appears dead on with my results. A high volume Melling has the output of 4.0 gpm at 2K rpm, 8 at 4k RPM flat lines after 4K, now their chart did not specify viscosity or operating temp but I would guess 10W30 at 100C. As far pressure drop across filter, alot of nothing is nothing, hell we get more pressure drop across the oil cooler!!!!!!!! If we want to eliminate pressure drop loose the cooler, i block mine off in the winter.

I like the Oberg filter but IMHO there is no return on investment. The difference between 2 psig and 5 psig is irrelavant. I have so many other ineffeciencies with my car I could never reliaze the benefit. For example the tool adding weight in my trunk next to my amp etc.

Last edited by madmaxx; 10-28-2010 at 05:49 PM.. Reason: Updated correct values for melling oil pump High volume
Old 10-26-2010, 12:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I looked at the K&N, looked like a dirty side bypass. It was the replacement for the FL-1A. Dont know the K&N bypass setting. Once I saw dirty side bypass and Motorcraft was clean side, decision was made to avoid K&N.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP01715 View Post
Any info on K&N? I was using the FL1HP and switched to K&N because it is easier to get off using a socket instead of a filter wrench. I know K&N makes quality air filters, I wonder if their oil filters are as good?
Old 10-26-2010, 01:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1715, Roush Built 434 ci Stroker, Dart Block, Ported AFR 205 Heads... 561 hp / 547 tq, Former Roush Show Car, Completed and Prepped By Olthoff Racing.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I looked at the K&N, looked like a dirty side bypass. It was the replacement for the FL-1A. Dont know the K&N bypass setting. Once I saw dirty side bypass and Motorcraft was clean side, decision was made to avoid K&N.
Thanks.....
Old 10-26-2010, 03:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'd like to add another factor here.....since we're talking about oil filters, I recently learned that with the higher percentage of synthetic blend and full synthetic oils on the shelves, recommendations for oil filters have changed, too. Apparently (or so I was told by a salesman at Advance Auto Parts) the synthetic/synthetic blend oils require a filter that is rated to remove a very high percentage of particles....in fact, he told me to just go to the filter rack and find one with "99.9%" noted on the box.

Has anyone else heard of this? I don't think he was trying to sell me a more expensive filter, as the one I ended up with cost even less than the competitor's brand I had at first. He just noticed I had synthetic blend oil in the basket and sent me back for a different oil filter (and, of course, the issue of dirty side vs clean side bypass wasn't even a consideration, it was for my daughter's box-stock Honda Civic and she's quite obsessive about changing her oil very frequently).

What do you gearheads know about this?

Cheers from Doug!!

Old 10-26-2010, 04:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
From now on I am sticking with the Motorcraft FL-1A from walmart at $3.85 instead of the $15.00 FL-1hp.
Madmaxx,

I'm wondering if the Roush brand oil filter (not sure who manufactures it for them) is equivalent to the FL-1HP. I won a free one and used it for my last oil change.

http://store.roushperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=1215

Roush indicates that it fits the same application as an FL-1A, but I'm not sure how the specs compare.

My Roush shipped with an FL-1HP and they indicate that the HP or an equivalent be used.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 10-26-2010, 04:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

This recent FE Forum thread re: Motorcraft FL1A oil filters may or may not be of interest:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182...ong+and+stupid
Old 10-26-2010, 06:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The difference between the FL1A and FL-1HP is the HP has a burst pressure of 400 psig where the 1a is 200 psig. Who cares, steel is cheaper than potatos, my oil pump only goes to 70 psig when cold. The higher pressure rating is a ploy used by many filter manufactures to claim there product is better. The bypass is 9-11 psig on the 1A and 22 psig on the hp, once again who cares, my test show differential across filter is not even close to 11 psig. Filter media and surface area are the same on both.

All that being said the price difference is $11 so if you feel better skip a lunch and you paid for it, LOL. The problem with the HP is nobody stocks them, so you have to order and wait. Go to walmart and they will have about 15 1a's in stock.

I was impressed when I took the 1A apart, good bypass valve, I could not seperate the filter media at the seam, i think it was sewn and glued, metal caps, pliable anti drain back (not really applicable since my filter is mounted verticle).

Royal purple has answered my email, they have synthetic media. The caveat will be when the bypass opends (9-11psigd) on the rp and if it is a clean bypass (yes). It retails for the same price as the fl-1hp or $15.00. Once again they waste weight with a heavy case. Edited, see post further down.

Last edited by madmaxx; 10-28-2010 at 05:51 PM.. Reason: updated rp data
Old 10-26-2010, 06:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

As far as the Rpush filter they leave out the necessary detail, I qoute

"The new ROUSH Oil Filters hold twice the capacity of the leading brand, and offer a high-efficiency 99.2 percent contaminants capture rate thanks to the superior cellulose and synthetic blend material used in the filter material."

99.2 percent of what Micron rating????????????????? I assume 1000 micron when not told, LOL!!!

Once again burst pressure is meaningless, 5 times, who gives a sheet, nothing in the engine is capable of producing 1 times.

If it is any larger than the 1A it would not fit on my car. I have never seen and auto filter larger than the 1A.

No spec on the bypass valve.

I must stop now before I twist off.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
As far as the Rpush filter they leave out the necessary detail, I qoute

"The new ROUSH Oil Filters hold twice the capacity of the leading brand, and offer a high-efficiency 99.2 percent contaminants capture rate thanks to the superior cellulose and synthetic blend material used in the filter material."

99.2 percent of what Micron rating????????????????? I assume 1000 micron when not told, LOL!!!

Once again burst pressure is meaningless, 5 times, who gives a sheet, nothing in the engine is capable of producing 1 times.

If it is any larger than the 1A it would not fit on my car. I have never seen and auto filter larger than the 1A.

No spec on the bypass valve.

I must stop now before I twist off.
The Roush filter is the exact same dimensions as the FL1, so no problem there. It was free, so I decided to use it. I've got another spare HP, so I won't need to worry about another filter for a while.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it