Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 01:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

If you're not having issues with valve float now, you have no oiling issues. The oiling lines that Jim ran are to keep the solid lifters immersed in oil, as a solid lifter on the street needs ten times the attention.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: na
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcowan View Post
Oh, sorry. I meant the oiling mod. That looks like a fairly simple job I could do in the garage. I don't think I have any oiling problems now. But you don't really find those kinds of problems until something goes, Boom!

The lifter bushing, OTOH, would definately required a skilled machinist with specialized equipment. That is something I would not consider doing on my own.

As for the lifters themselves, I'm using Comp Cams hydraulic short travel lifters and beehive springs with a slightly higher rate. The engine easily runs to 6,500 rpm's.

Every year I consider solid lifters, just for the fun of it. But, so far, I haven't done it. I think at the last minute my smart brain over rides my crazy brain, and I stick with what works.
The Dart sportsman blocks are not cross drilled in the front like there iron eagle blocks. we at Kuntz and Co. have found it advantageous to oil the front pair of lifters at the same time as the back pair. Pushrod and rocker life is much better oiling from each end. This is handled in a different way on Iron eagle blocks. This actually helps the hydraulic lifters even more as they have to have a lot of oil supply and pressure to stay pumped up. As we all know with conventional oiling 1 and 5 cylinder pushrods are always the first to fail.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, SBF 351w (463 CI)
Not Ranked     

I was wondering when U would surface. Jim thanks for the clarification.

Mark
Old 08-05-2013, 08:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanone View Post
The Dart sportsman blocks are not cross drilled in the front like there iron eagle blocks. we at Kuntz and Co. have found it advantageous to oil the front pair of lifters at the same time as the back pair. Pushrod and rocker life is much better oiling from each end. This is handled in a different way on Iron eagle blocks. This actually helps the hydraulic lifters even more as they have to have a lot of oil supply and pressure to stay pumped up. As we all know with conventional oiling 1 and 5 cylinder pushrods are always the first to fail.
That is really interesting, and I have never heard of this before. I am using a Dart sportsman block.

I have not had any problems with the lifters. But, I have had the the #1 rocker arm nut come loose more than once - despite a lot of torque and lock tite red. Next time I overhaul the engine (every other year at least) I will be doing this oiling mod.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 06-17-2014, 04:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hello Sir,

My name is Morten - I live in Norway (North Europe)
I googled Hillborn Smal Block Ford and I saw your thread here in this forum.
What a mighty cool engine you have got.
I have a 351W Dart block stroked to 427 and I have bought a Hillborn set up from Andrew Starr.
If you don't mind - I wonder what make / where did you get your ram tubes from ? And are you running some kind of top filters on those ?

With best regards
Morten
Old 06-17-2014, 09:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

... and I did not want to break the bank
... We decided that most of my current short block components (463 SBF) were up for task
... Mark Davis Precision Race Engines

Nice motor PLDRIVE. If you don't mind me asking, how much did your makeover cost with you being able to keep your short block/components? If you would rather keep it private I understand, just curious. I see you had Mark Davis on the team, those guys know how to build "near" cup motor crates
_
Old 06-17-2014, 09:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by netrom19 View Post
Hello Sir,

I have a 351W Dart block stroked to 427 and I have bought a Hillborn set up from Andrew Starr.
If you don't mind - I wonder what make / where did you get your ram tubes from ? And are you running some kind of top filters on those ?

With best regards
Morten
Morten i had Tim Engler (Engler Machine) make my ram tubes. He will give u all the guidance U will need. ITG custom filter. Do U want looks or performance?? IR manifolds are GREATLY affected by your choice of filter. Hope this helps.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL427SBF View Post
... and I did not want to break the bank
... We decided that most of my current short block components (463 SBF) were up for task
... Mark Davis Precision Race Engines

Nice motor PLDRIVE. If you don't mind me asking, how much did your makeover cost with you being able to keep your short block/components? If you would rather keep it private I understand, just curious. I see you had Mark Davis on the team, those guys know how to build "near" cup motor crates
_

Thank U very much.
AL427SBF the honest answer is i don't know. Most parts were purchased at different times and i never added the total up. I bought most of the components myself.

Mark is great guy, he and his brother Adam work very hard to provide a good product.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by netrom19 View Post
Hello Sir,

With best regards
Morten

Morten i had Tim Engler (Engler Machine) make my ram tubes. He will give u all the guidance U will need. ITG custom filter. Do U want looks or performance?? IR manifolds are GREATLY affected by your choice of filter. Hope this helps.

------------

Thank you Sir.
I want both look and performance if possible ?
What would a perfect performance filter look like and what would a cool looking filter look like ?
Sorry for my lack of knowledge

Regards
Morten
Old 06-24-2014, 07:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Morten U need a filter that can flow a ton of air. Your question is somewhat subjective, but It sounds like a large rectangular filter with a custom made polycarbonate top and bottom my be he ticket.

Take a look at the size of this sprint car filter (Racing Filters - Home).

Do not use these if u want performance (Hilborn Fuel Injectors) This bootie filter will takeaway a lot of horsepower.

ITG makes some excellent filters (but its going to cost U) They will flow a bunch (do not use K&N oil on their filter!!)

Some more info for U to consider. Tall Ram tubes = more low end TQ, Short Ram tubes = More upper end Horsepower
The shape of the Ram tube top is important ( can be worth up to 10% more power).

Hope this helps

Mark

Hope this helps