Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 10-30-2013, 07:53 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBruce View Post
Thanks for the help Jay, the previous build didnt make the same noise so I'm assuming they didn't put the gilmer pulleys on that one.

Two quick questions:
1) Why do people insist/request these?

2) What do you put on for people like me who would rather go without the whine!
Some want it for the whine, it's like a supercharger without the extra hp My thought has always been it puts alot more strain on the waterpump and the alternator but reality is you are supposed to run those setups looser so I guess it works out.

We typically use a V-belt setup on the pushrod engines since they don't have idlers/tensioners to reduce squeal. I'd offer to swap you out the set for ours but I don't know what they do on the alternator and it could just get messy.

Get it registered and then worry about the small stuff.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn View Post
Some want it for the whine, it's like a supercharger without the extra hp My thought has always been it puts alot more strain on the waterpump and the alternator but reality is you are supposed to run those setups looser so I guess it works out.

We typically use a V-belt setup on the pushrod engines since they don't have idlers/tensioners to reduce squeal. I'd offer to swap you out the set for ours but I don't know what they do on the alternator and it could just get messy.

Get it registered and then worry about the small stuff.
Thanks for the input. i did some digging on gilmers, other than the cogs looking cool, I don't see the appeal in the noise. Good to know its supposed to be like that.

Hope your customer got it taken care of. I plan on taking care of registration next week. Have a 30 day temp now.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:01 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

He's still in a holding pattern with temps. The issue came up late in the process. I understand there's a lot of FFRs suffering this fate as well. There has been almost no discussion here about it, which in previous state hangups has helped, better to keep it under the radar until the new path is cleared.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:02 AM
GEAR GRINDER CUM LAUDE
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1560 w/ Ford Racing [RDI/AFR/RPM] Alum. 427CI - 575HP & TKO
Not Ranked     

Watching your video and listening to the noise, sounds like it is a belt driven noise. When you let off the belt wiggles from my view. Pulley alignment? Call the guys at Rousch!
Terry Lee
Old 10-31-2013, 08:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn View Post
He's still in a holding pattern with temps. The issue came up late in the process. I understand there's a lot of FFRs suffering this fate as well. There has been almost no discussion here about it, which in previous state hangups has helped, better to keep it under the radar until the new path is cleared.
Yeah-I have a 30 day temp currently. My understanding from some digging is that custom car is the way to register now. Getting the inspection and insurance in advance is key.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry lee View Post
Watching your video and listening to the noise, sounds like it is a belt driven noise. When you let off the belt wiggles from my view. Pulley alignment? Call the guys at Rousch!
Terry Lee
Thanks terry-I don't think its a belt wiggle, just the sound the belt makes as it moves through the air at high speed.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: