Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-22-2014, 01:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestoCreations View Post
....I've decided for the long term value of the car that I would like to use an aluminum 351 block, either from Ford Racing or Shelby.....
Hi Resto,
If you're after long term value in a street driven Kirkham 289, what's your reasoning on leaning towards an aluminium 351 block?
I like Three Peaks suggestion of an original 289, and build that up with a nice light, well balanced rotating assembly, with suitably revvy - but not peaky - cam, and Webers?
Looking forward to following whatever you decide to do!
Cheers,
Glen
Old 01-22-2014, 02:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA, 363 Stroker
Not Ranked     

I thought everybody liked the 351 based strokers better....no replacement for displacement and such, but apparently I am wrong. I was at an auction this summer and saw a 289FIA kirkham with a dart 289 stroked to a 347 go to 120,000. It did not meet the reserve, so i am not sure how much of that was shill bidding.
I had a DSS 331 stroker many years ago and loved it. It was a very powerful and fun engine. Again, i was just thinking that when the time comes to sell, which it will some day, that the 351W based stroker would be the better option to have in the car.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

BTW, Dart is out. If i am going to spend 6 grand on a block, then I am at least going to purchase the Shelby unit that has webbing in the lifter valley and side bolt mains.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

I would just use the cast iron block, they are light enough with the big bores. With an extra 1.3" in deck height, I just don't think a Windsor block would look right.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Again, i was just thinking that when the time comes to sell, which it will some day, that the 351W based stroker would be the better option to have in the car.
And the 351-based engine may be better for resale value to one market segment. But, and I may be alone on this one, it's a Kirkham, and would prefer my 289 Kirkham Cobra to more resemble an original.

Here's a 289 Kirkham that just popped up on eBay, with a 347 (and no affiliation):

Shelby Kirkham 289 Slabside | eBay
Old 01-22-2014, 03:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
I'd do a 363 based off of a 4.125 bore dart 302 block. TFS heads, hydraulic roller.

If you're not in a huge hurry, I'd be happy to earn your business.
That is exactly what I was thinking... well I was thinking AFR heads
Old 01-22-2014, 03:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I've used plenty of both but seem to have better results out of the twisted wedge heads.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I forgot how particular, yet diverse everyone is when it comes to cobra replicas and their opinion of what engine belongs vs what doesn't. Always good to hear lots of opinions.
Who cares what they think DO WHAT I SAY!

(Only kidding)

---

I have a theory though -
Cars can either be classy or racy... They seemingly can't be both at the same time.

An FIA, in my mind, should be "racy"
Leave the "classy" for the slabsides.

So with that, like most, I'm partial to a 331
Shorter stroke faster revs.

BUT, Since you are going FIA, then I'm thinking perhaps more cubes are fitting.
I'd also go for anAlu Block

I'd be happy to hear what the pros think the advantages of going max cubes (363) and caming it mildly so that you have power and performance in the range you want, without the drawbacks of spitting and bucking VS the shorter faster reving stroke.

Either way, should be a smashing car once done and the cost of a 331 or 363 would be about the same, as would the resale with either engine in there, as IMHO they would appeal to the same group of buyers!

Them's my humble thoughts

PS:
Enjoy the decisions ahead... I'm looking forward to the Brushed, Polished or Painted debate.

Last edited by Dimis; 01-22-2014 at 03:58 PM..
Old 01-22-2014, 05:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DIY Coupe, F/T ,MkIV.
Not Ranked     

For an FIA it has to at least look like a 289 with an 8.2 block, sooooooo why stop at 363" when you 'could' get ~385" with a little bit of lateral thinking.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
And the 351-based engine may be better for resale value to one market segment. But, and I may be alone on this one, it's a Kirkham, and would prefer my 289 Kirkham Cobra to more resemble an original.

Here's a 289 Kirkham that just popped up on eBay, with a 347 (and no affiliation):

Shelby Kirkham 289 Slabside | eBay

I looked at that car in person at the Mecum auction in Monterey last August. Very nice owner and the car looked great and sounded awesome with spintech under car exhaust. It hit 120,000 on the block, but reserve was not met.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimis View Post
Who cares what they think DO WHAT I SAY!

(Only kidding)

---

I have a theory though -
Cars can either be classy or racy... They seemingly can't be both at the same time.

An FIA, in my mind, should be "racy"
Leave the "classy" for the slabsides.

So with that, like most, I'm partial to a 331
Shorter stroke faster revs.

BUT, Since you are going FIA, then I'm thinking perhaps more cubes are fitting.
I'd also go for anAlu Block

I'd be happy to hear what the pros think the advantages of going max cubes (363) and caming it mildly so that you have power and performance in the range you want, without the drawbacks of spitting and bucking VS the shorter faster reving stroke.

Either way, should be a smashing car once done and the cost of a 331 or 363 would be about the same, as would the resale with either engine in there, as IMHO they would appeal to the same group of buyers!

Them's my humble thoughts

PS:
Enjoy the decisions ahead... I'm looking forward to the Brushed, Polished or Painted debate.
If you go with an aftermarket block, there's no real reason to go with a 331. Pistons are the same price for the 4.030" bore or the 4.125" bore and the rotating assembly doesn't change. The extra 30 cubes will help with torque and the overall power/torque curves, which are of more importance in a street car. But you're right, you don't have to cam a 363 as much to get equal amounts of horsepower to the 331, and the peak hp rpm will be lower.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimis View Post
WELCOME BACK RESTO!!!

I for one have missed your talents around here.

New toy to mess with? Nice!
I'm hoping we see that develop as well as your ironman build did.

Vote +1 on the Kirkhim billet block for a Kirkham.

I wonder how far you could bore it out?
I'd go a slightly shorter stroke and spin it as fast you possibly can.
Old school webers on the SBF or Eightstack if you want EFI, but that's just me.

Best of luck with it...
Kind words my friend! Thank you! I was not aware that i was missed, although I miss the Ironman Kirkham very much and have missed posting updates here on the clubcobra forum! I believe I sold the Ironman Kirkham a bit before we were done with our relationship...will truly be a valuable car someday in the near future and i wish i had pursued Mr. Robert Downey JR. more for his signature on it!