Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2014, 02:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar Classics LS427. Self-built 408W, AFR 195 heads, Performer RPM Intake, Quick Fuel 750, 407rwhp, 479rwtq
Not Ranked     
Default Will a '69 timing cover fit a '88 block

I have what I think is a 1988 351W block. D9AE-6015-ED 14 Build code 8F22. What I think this means is

Block casting D9AE = 1979, Ford, Engine
6015 = Block
ED = revision
14 = unknown
8F22 - pour date = 8 year, June 22. Since the design was 1979, the 8 means its a 1988, right?

I want to switch this to a passenger side water pump inlet. I think the only year 351W that had a passenger side inlet was 1969. So, does a 1969 timing cover fit a 1988 block? I know that I will need to change my timing pointer and marks on the balancer, but will it fit?

Second question, if the timing cover won't fit, will the electric water pumps work with any timing cover? I can get an electric pump with a passenger or driver side intake. The pump doesn't state which year timing cover/engine - it just says SBF. Summit Clicky
Old 04-09-2014, 06:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasdoc View Post
I have what I think is a 1988 351W block. D9AE-6015-ED 14 Build code 8F22. What I think this means is

Block casting D9AE = 1979, Ford, Engine
6015 = Block
ED = revision
14 = unknown
8F22 - pour date = 8 year, June 22. Since the design was 1979, the 8 means its a 1988, right?

I want to switch this to a passenger side water pump inlet. I think the only year 351W that had a passenger side inlet was 1969. So, does a 1969 timing cover fit a 1988 block? I know that I will need to change my timing pointer and marks on the balancer, but will it fit?

Second question, if the timing cover won't fit, will the electric water pumps work with any timing cover? I can get an electric pump with a passenger or driver side intake. The pump doesn't state which year timing cover/engine - it just says SBF. Summit Clicky
it will bolt on, but the 88 motors use a crank sensor that mounts onto the front cover, the 69 won't have that cast into it. i'm not sure about the crank seal...that you'll have to check.....

i'm not convinced its a 88 block with the D9AE, by 88 all 351 motors were trucks....it is possible it could have been cast in 78 for the 79 model year, since the letter is "F" thats June.....so it could be 1978

by 1988 the castings would have been more like E7's.....
Old 04-09-2014, 06:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar Classics LS427. Self-built 408W, AFR 195 heads, Performer RPM Intake, Quick Fuel 750, 407rwhp, 479rwtq
Not Ranked     

The timing cover I took off doesn't have the crank sensor. I guess I'll just get the 69 timing cover, the electric pump, and see if it goes together.

I'm going to use the standard dizzy based timing setup.

I'm not sure what car/truck the motor came out of. I just bought the motor from a salvage yard.

Tom
Old 04-09-2014, 06:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

the more i think about it, the more i'm convinced its a 1979 block cast in 78.
an 88 block would have a E(something)TE casting number, for a truck, no cars in 1988 had a 351. so your probably fine using the cover you have, ford motorsports shows their 351 timing cover fits 69-87.....and if its a new build and your not using the factory crank sensor then who cares.......

oh....you have the original cover?....whats the engineering number on the cover? that will finalize what it is...its on the front probably covered in funk
Old 04-09-2014, 07:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The cover has D7AE-6059 on it. However, it had a driver's side water pump inlet. I want to switch to a passenger side inlet. It also has a 78 with a circle around it, and 8B or 88 stamped in the front. It appears to be a CW cover, but I'm not sure.

If I get the electric pump, does it matter if the timing cover is built for CW or CCW rotation?
Old 04-09-2014, 07:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

thats a 1977 front cover...you have a 1979 block. the timing cover isn't different for either inlet, just the pump, so if the cover you have is serviceable you can use that one.

you have a passenger car block. your fine don't worry about it. look at the cover....how will the water know where it being pumped from? it will still enter the cover the same. there is a backing plate on the back of the pump.
the water will be directed to where its supposed to be
Old 04-09-2014, 07:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I underrstand it is the front of the timing cover that determines if a CW or CCW pump is needed. This timing cover is corroded and very dirty. I'm going to just buy another one. Not sure I trust this one to seal properly, even if cleaned. The aluminum is pitted in places. For the cost, and piece of mind, I'll just get a new one.

So, I can buy any timing cover - they all fit to the front of the motor. Depending on which one I get, I will need either a CW or a CCW water pump. Do they make water pumps with driver or passenger side inlets on both CW and CCW pumps?

Still wondering about the electric pump. It comes as either passenger or driver side inlet. I sent an email to the company to see if they specify needing either a CW or CCW timing cover. No response from them yet.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

from what i see there is only one timing cover.....never heard of the timing cover being rotation specific. now as far as getting a pump(mechanical) with a passenger inlet, thats a bit different, i don't recall ever seeing one. why is this necessary? most radiators have the outlet on the drivers side lower. an electric pump may be problematic using on the street....it does get a bit warm there does it not? i would use a good aluminum belt driven pump myself...
Old 04-09-2014, 07:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

oh here's one.......i'm sure others make them1965-1969 Ford Mustang 289/351W Milodon Aluminum Water Pump, Inlet on Passengers Side | Mustangs Plus - Buy Mustang Parts Online

yeah i see Jeg's ...summit all have them.....
Old 04-09-2014, 07:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWB View Post
from what i see there is only one timing cover.....never heard of the timing cover being rotation specific.
I thought there was a different one for each. So, when dealing with CW or CCW, do I only need to be concerned with which direction the belt turns the pump? The outflow is all the same? Cool, that makes it easier.

Quote:
why is this necessary? most radiators have the outlet on the drivers side lower.
Most, maybe, but not the Lonestar cobras. They use a radiator with the lower hose on the passenger's side. Upper hose is on the driver's side.

Quote:
An electric pump may be problematic using on the street....
Really, I thought the electric ones would be better on the street, especially in the Texas heat while sitting at the stop lights. A mechanical one would be easier.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

the rotation won't change with the inlet swap, read the info on summits or jegs site, they do list the rotation. the electric pumps only run at one speed and do suck juice.
they do make for a nice clean engine look. some guys use them on the street. i'm not a big fan of them. i would save my alternators juice for a good fan set up rather than an electric pump. moving more air over the radiator will help you at the lights, not the pump.
most overheating is due to not getting the air from the grill to the radiator in enough volume to keep it cool. so a good air moving fan and a shroud is where you should be looking. the mechanical pump will move all the water you need

ya know i'm going to have to charge you one quart of Rudy's cole-slaw for this info...........damn i miss Rudy's
Old 04-09-2014, 08:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Next time your around the DFW area, my treat. The closest Rudy's is about 30 miles away, but no problem. Thanks for your help.

Now, to figure out how to repair the axle seal leak I just found today....
Old 04-09-2014, 08:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasdoc View Post
Next time your around the DFW area, my treat. The closest Rudy's is about 30 miles away, but no problem. Thanks for your help.

Now, to figure out how to repair the axle seal leak I just found today....
eeewww....hate them...smelly lube.

thanks, was in san anton' a few weeks ago, got my Rudy's fix. but hopefully it won't be long. i gained 7lb in 2 weeks there....lol
Old 04-09-2014, 08:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
from what i see there is only one timing cover.....never heard of the timing cover being rotation specific.
BTW, the timing cover is water pump rotation specific. These are two different timing covers. See how the one on the left has ports that point CCW to the center of where the pump shaft would be. The ports on the right cover are pointed CW to where the pump shaft would be. The left cover is for standard/CW rotation. The right cover is for reverse/CCW rotation.

Although Summit doesn't list CW or CCW on their website, I do think it matters. You have to get the right cover depending on which direction your pump is twisting. Jegs does list different ones as standard or reverse rotation.

Although - I'm not sure what the 3rd hole surrounding each water port is on the left one. The right one only has two bolt holes.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

the one on the left has the provision for crank sensor, 88 and up. or 80 and up truck which some had a crank sensor in 81'ish
the one on the right is the 69-87.

the pumps are a little different which may account for the port differences.
again really the water will flow into the same side of the cover whether its spinning one way or the other,