Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 05-04-2014, 07:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Capitola CA DMV and SB-100

Anyone go through the Capitola DMV to register their cobra? How did it go, should I avoid them and go through Santa Cruz or San Jose DMV? I would like to work with someone who knows the drill, a name would be great - thanks for any inputs.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:47 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

I don't have any experience with the Capitola DMV, but my guess is that they rarely handle SB100 certifications. The Santa Clara DMV used to have a good reputation for processing SB100 certs, but I've heard that things went downhill after a key person left.

Is your car a new build or was it previously registered out of State?

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 05-05-2014, 09:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     

the problem is there are so few SB100 registrations that no matter where you go, you are likely to find a desk clerk that has never done it before. It is pretty hard to make a reservation for a specific person at the DMV. I think you have to learn the process and explain it to the desk clerk when you go. Good luck!
Old 05-06-2014, 12:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

Take an Asprin before you go - and reiterate that you are looking to do an SPCNS (Specially Constructed) car under SB100.
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 05-06-2014, 12:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler
Not Ranked     

I just completed mine and received my plates last week at the San Mateo DMV. Of course they don't do a lot of these, but the clerk asked a number of questions to the supervisor, who seemed to know what she was doing. I think it's important for you to know the process beforehand in detail so you can respectfully question anything that appears wrong. I know Panavia knows a lot about the process, and I know a little, having just been through it, so reach out to us and others if you need to.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the input guys, kind of thought it was hit & miss where ever you go. This is a new build being delivered with all the major stuff done but will still need some component assembly work and body finishing. Thanks for the tip Steve, I will certainly open with would like to register via SPCNS under SB100 and then watch the puzzled looks follow. I have your .pdf files on the subject, that will be a big help and appreciate you taking the time to put that info together.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft RT3 #1133, Ford Racing 306
Not Ranked     

I used the Los Gatos DMV two years ago. My experience was much like Lippy's description with the San Mateo DMV. There was a lady who knew the procedure and process very well. Judging by her age, I would guess that she is still there.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF GT40P-2265/393W, KMP318 (PROJECT!!!!!)/CSX478
Not Ranked     

The first time I did this was in 2005, and I sailed through with no problem. I just returned to the same location, and sat there for 2.5 hours while the clerk read through the regulations and made phone calls.

Tellingly, she said that they just don't see these that often anymore, and suggested that the state has made it so difficult that not many people are willing to put up with it. I wonder if it might not be the economy, but she could be right...it took me exactly 23 months to get through the BAR process, but that's a story for another day.

Best of luck!

"Dishwasher? I thought that was for cleaning parts!?"
Old 05-06-2014, 02:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

One tip is: whatever you do, do not tell anyone that your Specially Constructed Vehicle is a "turn-key". I've heard horror stories about people at the DMV, CHP and BAR trying to trick people into describing their SPCNS as "turn-key" or "purchased completed", then then stopping the entire process.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Rosenberg View Post
One tip is: whatever you do, do not tell anyone that your Specially Constructed Vehicle is a "turn-key". I've heard horror stories about people at the DMV, CHP and BAR trying to trick people into describing their SPCNS as "turn-key" or "purchased completed", then then stopping the entire process.
Randy is right. When I went to the BAR, the referee first told me that he would have to collect his data and send it to Sacramento for approval. I guess Sacramento doesn't trust the referee's judgement on whether a car was constructed by the individual or not. Since this would have required that I come back again and delay the whole process, I offered to show the referee photos of me dropping the engine into the car (which I had on my phone). He forwarded the photos to his supervisor and they accepted those as proof, and he issued the SB100 sticker. They really do want to make sure they aren't issuing these certificates for manufacturer constructed vehicles.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good advice, thanks for the heads-up.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippy View Post
Randy is right. When I went to the BAR, the referee first told me that he would have to collect his data and send it to Sacramento for approval. I guess Sacramento doesn't trust the referee's judgement on whether a car was constructed by the individual or not. Since this would have required that I come back again and delay the whole process, I offered to show the referee photos of me dropping the engine into the car (which I had on my phone). He forwarded the photos to his supervisor and they accepted those as proof, and he issued the SB100 sticker. They really do want to make sure they aren't issuing these certificates for manufacturer constructed vehicles.
Hopefully they're not making photo evidence a new requirement. Next thing you know, they're going to roll out the lie detector test.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 05-09-2014, 07:58 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1980 Arntz 427W, Webers, TKO600, Jag IRS
Not Ranked     

I used the Capitola office in 2011 and it went very easy. I had a current registration that I felt was incorrect and wanted to straighten it out. The lady that helped me hadn't done one before so she got on the phone with Sacramento and got it figured out. I had educated myself so I knew the answers and how to steer her. Because the car was registered I think it was easier. I was in the office 1 1/2 hrs. I still went through brake and lamp/chp/bar.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Tom, I'll give it a go at Capitola with fingers crossed. Ever get those webers figured out, I know they were driving you nuts early on.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:01 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1980 Arntz 427W, Webers, TKO600, Jag IRS
Not Ranked     

The webers are better but not right. The rings never seated so thats a problem. Has an engine shake at 2000 rpm. I'm suspecting the crank was balanced without the clutch. Thinking I'm going to pull the engine and rebuild it.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Howland View Post
The webers are better but not right. The rings never seated so thats a problem. Has an engine shake at 2000 rpm. I'm suspecting the crank was balanced without the clutch. Thinking I'm going to pull the engine and rebuild it.
Sorry to hear that, best of luck in your endeavors to resolve.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:25 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 427
Not Ranked     

When I did mine, I was advised to grease the skids by pre-meeting with the supervisor first ( at the San luis Obispo DMV). He spent about 15 minutes going thru it with me and we scheduled an appointment with a "counter clerk" on another day.

The supervisor reviewed it with the counter cleck and my appointment took only 20 minutes and I was out the door with my SB100 number.

No drama at all.

Cheers
Greg
Old 05-10-2014, 12:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by my427cobra View Post
When I did mine, I was advised to grease the skids by pre-meeting with the supervisor first ( at the San luis Obispo DMV). He spent about 15 minutes going thru it with me and we scheduled an appointment with a "counter clerk" on another day.

The supervisor reviewed it with the counter cleck and my appointment took only 20 minutes and I was out the door with my SB100 number.

No drama at all.

Cheers
Greg
That's a good idea Greg, I think I'll do that - good tip, thanks.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANAVIA View Post
Take an Asprin before you go - and reiterate that you are looking to do an SPCNS (Specially Constructed) car under SB100.
Take an aspirin before you go....all six times.....

When we did one for the shop, my partner and I took turns.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF / FE428
Not Ranked     

I've registered 2 superformance's in Hollister, They told me that this new to them. But they went out of there way to get the job Done. Santa Cruz DMV I'm sure doesn't get a bunch of SB100.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: