Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-16-2015, 09:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1867 , KC427
Not Ranked     
Default Best way to proceed with improving up 427 Windsor street setup

I wasn't sure exactly where to post this so I will start in the small block section. Having recently purchased my first cobra I am really enjoying it and I can't see myself going to any other toy. I came from an 03 supercharged mustang cobra and the only thing I miss is the throttle response and the feel of the mod motor power. I put a new QF750 carb on my car and had it dyno tuned a few months back. My car runs night and day difference but it is not where I want it to be. I have a KC 427 dart block that I think is in need of a refreshen.....cylinder pressure is down a bit and it didn't do so hot on the dyno. This is not something that is pressing as the car runs great but I just want to start making my plans for the next step. If what I am after is not possible then I will re-evaluate. Hopefully we can have some good info out of this discussion.

1. I hate getting 9-10mpg. It is really not about money so don't bring up the "your not a cobra guy" it is just a pain in the butt. I've got 3:23 rears and a TKO-600. It was 7mpg before I had it retuned. Return on any type of investment is not something I'm chasing....but I do know that fuel injection will improve this.

2. If I was to go the fuel injection route how good can the throttle response and overall driveability be? Can it be similar to a N/A modified LS7 in a Z06? If so what is the fuel injection route that would be needed? I do not want to use one of those wet manifold self tuning carb looking setups that cost $2500 but I also don't want to use anything that is unnecessary. I could care less about how vintage it looks under the hood....I bought the car to drive and I'm looking for the best possible setup for reliability and performance.

3. I really would like to be able to keep a windsor setup as I enjoy the sound and characteristics of having a camshaft and all the lope that accompanies. This is a street car and I have no future plans on tracking it. This is Keith's 585hp option and I dont' think it deviates from their street/strip setup. Based on the current characteristics of the car it doesn't like to be driven below 2000rpms and it doesn't really have a serious seat of the pants feel until about 4000rpm and up. Being a street car I dont' have any pipe dreams of turning 7000rpm but I don't want to lose any top end power.......I actually want some more. I've never had a N/A setup before so I guess I'm just used to the power of a supercharged mod motor. Sounds like if a Windsor can offer what I'm looking for then Brent Lykins is the man to put together a plan.

Last edited by Ace23; 08-16-2015 at 09:42 PM..