Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-15-2015, 01:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Coyote xs v 427

I am trying to decide on a PowerPlant for my impending cobra build.

What would be the easier motor to live with, and more importantly the most fun?

Given the dollars for either one are not to far apart, for the ultimate ford cobra motor what is going to give you the best bang for your Buck.

Car to be used for a bit of everything, coffee runs, track, cruising etc
Old 11-15-2015, 01:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoity View Post
I am trying to decide on a PowerPlant for my impending cobra build.

What would be the easier motor to live with, and more importantly the most fun?

Given the dollars for either one are not to far apart, for the ultimate ford cobra motor what is going to give you the best bang for your Buck.

Car to be used for a bit of everything, coffee runs, track, cruising etc
Can you register a 427W? That might help with your choice....
Apart from that, define "fun"?

Cheers,
Glen
Old 11-15-2015, 02:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Either motor could be made to fill your parameters.
They're just air pumps.

To know which will work better, I'd need more info on the engine builds.
Also is the 427 ford (Windsor? bbf? fe? or ls7?

Fwiw: I'd lean to the one that made use of the fact a cobra has a bonnet scoop.
It's not a real S/C cobra unless it has a bonnet scoop.
Old 11-15-2015, 02:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey glen, if the motor can pass the ims240 test, if not i could use a 351, stroke it later.

I have been wondering for awhile if the new tech redines the rule " there is no replacement for displacement"
Old 11-15-2015, 02:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey dimis, more curious than anything. I drove a Monaro a few years back with a big Chevy in it. What really struck me was the sheer amount of grunt(torque) right off the bottom. I had an Xb gt 30 years ago and a few mild v8 s after that, but really only played with family cars and diesels since.

If I get a 302 coyote aluminator xs, it doesn't have the volume of a 427, so it will have different characteristics.

I imagine it won't pull as hard early, but pull for longer.
Zacson likes this.
Old 11-15-2015, 04:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

"Easiest to live" with and "most fun" are often in conflict with one another. The Coyote aluminator would probably be the easiest to live with given it's variable timing, computer controls, fuel injection, and factory engineering. For old school rumble and shake and kick you in the back torque the 427 and 428 motors (and any variations) will get it done but it will probably have a few oil seeps, require more tuning and attention and quality /durability will be greatly dependent upon the builder. Your right about the Coyote won't have as much off the line torque and kick in the back but it will pull longer - sort of like comparing a 396/375 Camaro to a Z28 Camaro back in the 60s.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:13 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

If you want fun, performance, and nastalgia, go with some type of FE Ford. Anything else just doesn't say "Cobra", with the exception of a slab side or FIA with a 289/302/351. These combinations fit what a Cobra should be. Of course, this is just my opinion. You can always keep the hood closed...
xb-60 likes this.
Old 11-15-2015, 01:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

Windsor motor is smaller lighter makes more power if modified and can pull to whatever rpm you want...
Zacson likes this.
Old 11-15-2015, 01:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have Roush 427 in mine... would consider Keith Craft FE or 302 Coyote with whipple if I had to do it over... after all it is a replica... ask yourself - Is the bragging right / rumble of a Big Block FE more important than a light fast modern engine?

Difficult, but Jay at Vintage will be able to show you a monster Coyote
BADSN8K likes this.
Old 11-15-2015, 01:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Naturally aspirated Windsors make 600 plus HP, no need for a blower...I like all motor in a cobra over turbo or supercharged unless its a twin Paxton FE, those look cool..
Zacson likes this.
Old 11-15-2015, 03:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
"Easiest to live" with and "most fun" are often in conflict with one another. The Coyote aluminator would probably be the easiest to live with given it's variable timing, computer controls, fuel injection, and factory engineering. For old school rumble and shake and kick you in the back torque the 427 and 428 motors (and any variations) will get it done but it will probably have a few oil seeps, require more tuning and attention and quality /durability will be greatly dependent upon the builder. Your right about the Coyote won't have as much off the line torque and kick in the back but it will pull longer - sort of like comparing a 396/375 Camaro to a Z28 Camaro back in the 60s.
What Dan said.
The Coyote with variable valve timing and modern fuel injection will be the easiest to live with; it will feel like a bigger motor with quite a lot of torque at the bottom end but still the ability to easily rev to 7k.
My opinion? If you want a car for a daily driver, a Coyote engine sounds ideal (and at least it's a Ford engine), but if it's a weekend car and won't often be stuck in traffic, go with something that has a lot more character.
Back to the IM240 test....it's a real advantage if the engine in your car just needs a tick on the compliance engineer's sheet rather than having to go through the testing.....and that brings us back to the Coyote.
Another comment....don't lose sight of the fact that almost any engine will feel quite powerful in a car as light as a Cobra replica. I wouldn't get too hung up on horsepower and torque figures.

Cheers,
Glen
Old 11-15-2015, 05:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Survival Motorsports aluminum FE 482
Not Ranked     

What does a Coyote sound like? I am fond of my big cam 482 sound and rumble?
Old 11-15-2015, 05:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BD 1445 Coyote TKO 600 3.91
Not Ranked     

Lot's of good info here....

You need t ask a few more questions.

Are you a mechanic?
Do I want to be tweaking carburetors?
Do I want o take Long weekend cruises?

I owned a Cobra with a Small Block and found myself dealing with Carb and ignition issues thus in the garage tweaking more often. In our State rally early in the spring, it was 90 plus degrees and we all got caught in traffic nd had motors running hot..

I asked and answered the above questions sold my Cobra and built another with a Coyote. The torque is more than enough to hook up the 315 30 18 Azenis when geared properly.

Its your Money therfore get what will make you happy! The Coyote is being applied in numerous applications in these cars and is Proven!...

Here is a link to my car!

https://youtu.be/rgyOCmeAJ-0

Best of luck!
Old 11-15-2015, 07:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Coyote engines are wide, wider than FEs and 385 big blocks. Yes, they're the 'latest and greatest' from Ford, and probably the easiest with which to pass emissions tests, but they will pose other challenges.

If I was building a car today I'd be inclined to go with a 427W SBF, most likely fuel injected. Relatively narrow configuration, good torque and the benefits of fuel injection. Whether you go with a 4 barrel throttle body configuration or an 8 stack setup is up to personal preference and budget, but either will work and look darn fine when you open the hood.

Here's a link to a Ford Performance crate engine rated at 450 horsepower and 520 lb-ft torque (https://fordperformanceracingparts.c...KeyField=13509), but there are a number of engine builders who will build one specific to your configuration and what you're looking for.

Enjoy.
cdnus and mlofton like this.
Old 11-15-2015, 07:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
What Dan said.
The Coyote with variable valve timing and modern fuel injection will be the easiest to live with; it will feel like a bigger motor with quite a lot of torque at the bottom end but still the ability to easily rev to 7k.
My opinion? If you want a car for a daily driver, a Coyote engine sounds ideal (and at least it's a Ford engine), but if it's a weekend car and won't often be stuck in traffic, go with something that has a lot more character.
Back to the IM240 test....it's a real advantage if the engine in your car just needs a tick on the compliance engineer's sheet rather than having to go through the testing.....and that brings us back to the Coyote.
Another comment....don't lose sight of the fact that almost any engine will feel quite powerful in a car as light as a Cobra replica. I wouldn't get too hung up on horsepower and torque figures.

Cheers,
Glen
Stock Coyote has no tq it only has 400hp
Zacson likes this.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Just got a reply from the engineer,
my question;
What are the options with regards to engines, is it only a case of meeting the IMS240 test and noise level requirements?
Answer;
Yep that's pretty much it. However on top of the IM240 and noise requirements the engine must also have a crankcase vent system and evaporative emissions control system equivalent to a current model engine in place, so if you run one of the older Ford motors you'd have to retro-fit the charcoal canister, vent/purge solenoid etc and crank case vent setup and all those parts from a more recent engine, so on a visual inspection the system will work roughly as well as a standard current model car.

Not sure whats involved with that, but doesnt seem like to high a mountain to climb, maybe!

The allure of a 427/428 is very tempting as opposed to the new kid on the block, Coyote.
But then again i couldnt deal with oil leaks etc, my old 351 used to have a weeping rear main seal that was never quite right, sump gasket that would come and go. Are these issues gone with modern manufacturing processes or is it a case of, somethings never change.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Would the Coyote Aluminator XS with the Cobra Jet intake fit under the hood of a cobra. That intake sits pretty high?
Old 11-15-2015, 09:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Nissan
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoity View Post
Would the Coyote Aluminator XS with the Cobra Jet intake fit under the hood of a cobra. That intake sits pretty high?
Yes, the Cobra car with a coyote engine is also called a Mustang.

cobra looking body + old school engine = Cobra
cobra looking body + new mod engine = hot rod
Old 11-15-2015, 10:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hoity, do you have a feel for how much time and $ are involved in doing an average IM240 test? That should be figured into the cost of a non-standard engine selection.

Cheers,
Glen
Old 11-15-2015, 10:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey glen, my loose plan atm would be to install the motor, do the checks, fill with oil, get it started and then take it to herrods for a tune and I understand they can simulate a Ims test.
The actual test I understand is $700 per go, no second chances, you fail, u pays ya money for anotha go!

NEWYORKGUY not sure what your telling me there!!