Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2016, 06:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinatlanta View Post
In GA I'd NA, but at 5,500' with the best local roads even higher I'd be all over the blower.
I initially priced out doing heads, intake, big cam and carb; that was close to 9k with install and tuning. But it sounds like I'll be changing jets constantly if I drive it as I described. I'm wondering where I'd be with the blower and possibly FI.
Dog Chops likes this.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

I had a thought. If you sold your engine and add that to your budget of 10K, that should give you 12-14K, depending on what you can get. That should buy a top notch Windsor stroker.

If you drive over a wide elevation change, I think you should think hard on EFI. If you go with boost and have wide elevation changes, I think EFI is a must. Otherwise it is a lot of cost for little gain.
Bernica likes this.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog View Post
I had a thought. If you sold your engine and add that to your budget of 10K, that should give you 12-14K, depending on what you can get. That should buy a top notch Windsor stroker.

If you drive over a wide elevation change, I think you should think hard on EFI. If you go with boost and have wide elevation changes, I think EFI is a must. Otherwise it is a lot of cost for little gain.
Didn't even think about that part in regards to selling the engine. Hmmmm great idea to look into. Yea the more we all post on this thread, the more I look at it and realize how much elevation change I have in my area. You drive another 40 minutes and you end up in Auburn Ca, and that elevation is 2000. So that's just another example of the elevation difference.

So to sum it up elevation varies from 2000-7000 depending on where I drive. FI is a whole another animal to the equation.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:27 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog View Post

A big yup.
Sell a good engine and start on just what you want built. Tinkering on an existing build just doesn't seem to work out for what you are trying to do.
My 2c
Old 01-03-2016, 06:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: johnex
Not Ranked     

There's a guy here with carb and charger he says he wish he did efi and added charger when he had more cash. Pro m racing is on line there may be better but this is pretty easy. I have had to build a new throttle body to handle the added cfm of new charger. No clue if it will work well but u can't just sit and watch lol
Old 01-03-2016, 07:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct clint View Post
There's a guy here with carb and charger he says he wish he did efi and added charger when he had more cash. Pro m racing is on line there may be better but this is pretty easy. I have had to build a new throttle body to handle the added cfm of new charger. No clue if it will work well but u can't just sit and watch lol
See that's what I am worried about, the drivability of a carb'd supercharger. I'm sure it's great in a straight wide open throttle situation like drag racing but what about everything in between?
Old 01-03-2016, 09:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Sounds like you've already made up your mind, and want the S/C with EFI.

However, if I had a $10k budget, then I'd go the other way and swap the engine for more cubes, better pipes and air intake management (ie: lowering air temps, ceramic coating, fitting shrouds under the bonnet to direct air flow), and swapping out the rear end for something taller.

$10k can get swallowed up really quick with EFI and S/C. Its not just the parts, but tuning and chasing gremlins.

If I had say $15 it might be something I'd consider, but then again, for those dollars, I kind of see it like Patrick, and would be queuing up for an FE. That's just me... Good luck with it
Old 01-03-2016, 11:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratchbuild, 289 FIA Replica
Neutral     

I'd think it would be cheaper, more reliable and practical to chuck the 302 and start again with a 351W.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:35 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

Plenty of throttle control here...

Vortech (or that style) Supercharger and Blow-through carbie set up

I'm not recommending the set up - just addressing the driveability aspect
and providing some of Aussie Mike's vision on a flimsy pretext.

LoBelly

Last edited by LoBelly; 01-04-2016 at 12:44 AM.. Reason: attribution of footage
Old 01-04-2016, 05:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoBelly View Post
Plenty of throttle control here...

Vortech (or that style) Supercharger and Blow-through carbie set up

I'm not recommending the set up - just addressing the driveability aspect
and providing some of Aussie Mike's vision on a flimsy pretext.

LoBelly
That looked fun!! Good lookin cobra. So that's a carb version of a supercharger? You said you don't recommend it, can you tell me your experience and reasons? What kind of power did you put down?
Old 01-04-2016, 05:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimis View Post
Sounds like you've already made up your mind, and want the S/C with EFI.

However, if I had a $10k budget, then I'd go the other way and swap the engine for more cubes, better pipes and air intake management (ie: lowering air temps, ceramic coating, fitting shrouds under the bonnet to direct air flow), and swapping out the rear end for something taller.

$10k can get swallowed up really quick with EFI and S/C. Its not just the parts, but tuning and chasing gremlins.

If I had say $15 it might be something I'd consider, but then again, for those dollars, I kind of see it like Patrick, and would be queuing up for an FE. That's just me... Good luck with it
I'm not saying I have made up my mind on going with the blower, but rather asking questions because I have less experience with the setup.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:14 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

$8,000 for a 408 W with 530 flywheel HP would be my suggestion.

I stroked my 302 to 354 with fuel injection. Dyno several times 402/422 hp/tq rear wheels.

350 rwtq at 2200 rpms.

The 354 had to much tq at low rpms. To easy to spin good tires.
The next 347 I build I changed the cam to move tq up the rpm range by a 1000 rpms. Have not cranked that motor yet.

A couple of my buddies have 427 s.o. stroked in the 620 fwhp / 630 fwq range. I had no problem keeping up with them. My car was 200 lbs lighter which help. We never lined up to see who was the fastest but on a few occasion when the other guy was spanking Porches or Vett I had no problem catching up from way behind. Gave me the impression that I was a little fastest at lower speeds to 120. Full 1/4 mile from a dead stop. I think I would be very close to them at the end.
We'll never know because I wrecked my toy.
P.S. I put over 20,000 miles on that set up. Very streetable

I have driven a couple of KC 408 powered Cobra in the 530 fwhp - 540 fwtq range in Cobra. I THINK (my butts not a dyno) my Cobra was faster.

If your looking for max hp you must match the heads, cam, intake, exhaust system and the fuel deliver. Any one piece can kill you hp.

With all this being said I think the best motor for the money is the 408 KC.

I live 600 ft above sea level.
Dwight

427 with twin supercharges

Last edited by Dwight; 01-04-2016 at 06:17 AM..
Old 01-04-2016, 06:39 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrat24 View Post
That looked fun!! Good lookin cobra. So that's a carb version of a supercharger? You said you don't recommend it, can you tell me your experience and reasons? What kind of power did you put down?
I have no experience with a supercharger - it's not me or my car.
and
I don't know how much power the car was making

ta
LoBelly
Old 01-04-2016, 09:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

IMO, guys are advising without adequately taking into consideration your altitude issue. Reno is fun, fun and high, but the best roads are even higher. Boosting you motor to take back what the altitude cost you isn't going to stress it anymore than running at sea level. Boosting it a bit more isn't really a bid deal. Next is the carb. Getting a carb to work with a blower is also not a big deal, right up until you start making big altitude changes. A carb simply cannot adequately adjust for that.

You can easily convert to a throttle body injection and centrifugal blower for 10K. This option would allow a good tune at varying altitudes and allow you to increase HP incrementally as desired.

A NA carb motor will still lose big power at 5300' and even more as you hit the fun roads.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:22 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinatlanta View Post
IMO, guys are advising without adequately taking into consideration your altitude issue.
I agree. My Cobra spends 99.9% of its time at sea level or a couple of hundred feet above. I'm not sure it would like being a mile high much at all.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ok so million dollar question,

Displacement or Blower with FI

It seems the HP with the 302's don't see 500hp as much as your 351's and up.

Both sound like 10k could get me either or. Car goes in this month for the project so this is why I'm asking all the questions. Just want to be educated for my builder on what I want to request.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:43 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrat24 View Post
Ok so million dollar question,

Displacement or Blower with FI?
Displacement.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:43 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Displacement x2
Old 01-04-2016, 10:55 AM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

Both.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 S/C, Ford 427 Side-oiler 2x4 bbl
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
People put Paxton on the 289. Shelby put two on his 427. I don't think cobras except Shelbys were official but I know of a couple on 289 mustangs. Pretty low boost at 4-6 psi is about all you can do with a carb fuel delivery. A friend had one on his 66 gt350h 289 hipo and said it was noticeable
Huh? I put a Shelby-Spearco turbo kit on my 1967 Camaro with a 350 Target Master (i.e. "crate") engine in it and ran 12-14 psi of boost.

I'm not sure where the 4.6 psi limit comes from unless you're talking about one of the old tech/low tech blow-thru systems (mine was a suck-thru system). I've seen blow-thru's that seal the carb in a pressure box but you have to run foam floats in the carb because brass floats will collapse.

Even with the stock Target Master 350, it made a MONSTER out of that car. I immediately had to put disc brakes on it because it would get going SO fast, SO quickly. I did have to add a Edlebrock Vari-jection (simple water injection) system to my car because of the detonation created at that boost level but once that was on, I could hold full throttle until my balls shrunk. I had a blow-off valve for it but never added it after adding the H2O injection.

I became a BIG fan of super turbo charging after force feeding that car! The difference is amazing, like night and day.

Phill Pollard