Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-17-2021, 01:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus M View Post
Looking for feedback on Blueprint's dependability as a motor, leaks, performance, etc as a weekend driver for a Superformance?

Any and all input appreciated.

Thanks
I had a Superformance car, back in the day, with a 418 Windsor that made 613 at the wheels. It was quite the handful.

You need to be specific about your goals. Even a mild 347 with a mild H/R cam and a half-decent set of heads will get close to 500 FWHP. I'm sure.....I've built thousands of them.

500 H/P in that car, if you're not prepared for it can be a life-limiting revelation. So this depends entirely on how you're going to drive it.
Old 01-17-2021, 01:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
Girdles don't do anything, unfortunately. Lots of nice photos of SBF blocks split in half with the girdle holding the main caps together.

The 302/5.0 block won't take as much horsepower before letting go, but unless you're making over 600 hp with that 408, you're in no danger of hurting it.
Perhaps....but you won't drive over the crankshaft.
Old 01-17-2021, 05:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MkIV 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus M View Post
I also find interesting that 427Larry is having a 427 FE built. I'm looking at that as well.

Thanks

Gus
FEs are essential if you want to be period correct. However, a stroker SBF factory block, up to 408 cu in, is about 150 pounds lighter and $4,000 less than FE iron block. SBF/Dart block up to 468, I went with 427 per builders recommendations for longevity, about $2000 less.
Old 01-17-2021, 09:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

No one has commented on the Blueprint engines.

They are sold through Jegs and Summit.

We just tore down a $6100 347 Blue Print motor sold by Jegs. We know it had 5,000 miles on it but think it may have had less than a thousand miles when Ron bought the car last year. We are guessing 6,000.

The second time Ron wound it up through third gear one of the .040"
hypereutectic piston broke a piece out of the top. Common problem with Hypereutectic pistons if the rings are not gaped correct.
I had two engine mechanic to look at it. They said the rings were gaped to tight for the amount of heat build up when running the motor hard. One builder said he ran a Chev with hypereutectic pistons on his drag car for two years with no problem but he gaped the rings more than recommended.

The crank and rods are cast, Melling oil pump, MSD distributor, Holley carb, cast cam that was being eat up because the distributor gear was steel, Edelbrock fuel pump, all the other parts have no numbers on them or they are the cheapest part available.

This is the only Blue Print motor I have seen. Make your own decision.

We are having the motor rebuild with forged pistons and a new cam. Ron over paid for the Mustang and does not want to buy a new motor.
Old 01-17-2021, 09:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Jeez, he wants a "weekend driver" car, which means a nice stroked FE that puts out 1HP/Cubic Inch, maybe a little more, and that won't break on him for a few years. That's a piece of cake for any of the builders around here and, on the street, 450 horses will kill him in an instant if he drops his guard. Easy.

These are known as self correcting problems that, over time, can clean up the gene pool ...

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 01-17-2021, 10:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
No one has commented on the Blueprint engines.

They are sold through Jegs and Summit.

We just tore down a $6100 347 Blue Print motor sold by Jegs. We know it had 5,000 miles on it but think it may have had less than a thousand miles when Ron bought the car last year. We are guessing 6,000.

The second time Ron wound it up through third gear one of the .040"
hypereutectic piston broke a piece out of the top. Common problem with Hypereutectic pistons if the rings are not gaped correct.
I had two engine mechanic to look at it. They said the rings were gaped to tight for the amount of heat build up when running the motor hard. One builder said he ran a Chev with hypereutectic pistons on his drag car for two years with no problem but he gaped the rings more than recommended.

The crank and rods are cast, Melling oil pump, MSD distributor, Holley carb, cast cam that was being eat up because the distributor gear was steel, Edelbrock fuel pump, all the other parts have no numbers on them or they are the cheapest part available.

This is the only Blue Print motor I have seen. Make your own decision.

We are having the motor rebuild with forged pistons and a new cam. Ron over paid for the Mustang and does not want to buy a new motor.

No different than Jasper or others. Assembly line engines. You get what you pay for.
Sawdust likes this.
Old 01-17-2021, 11:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: acc
Not Ranked     

Wow thread was hijacked sorry. I looked into engines sold on line, mass production type. Did a ton of searching before I settled on an engine. I'm blessed to have a few good friends who race sprint and drag cars, also tractor pullers. One thing they all said, internal engine components must be forged. I used Callies crank and rods and JE pistons, Isky Red zone lifters and Milodon gear drive. I spent double what I would've spent if I had bought an off the shelf engine. I do not regret spending the extra money, I don't believe the engines on line would have the performance my current engine has. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-23-2021, 05:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF Coupe #136, 427SR FI
Not Ranked     

Crown is a big supporter of Blueprint motors...

Question I have is resale value of a SPF with BP motor or a Roush Motor.

Years ago Roush had lots of problems. Now they seem less problematic.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Jeff
Old 01-23-2021, 10:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 manowar forged crank roller rockers . BIG CAM.
Not Ranked     

I will not say who you should use but I will say the 408 seams to be the magic number for takes a licken and keeps on ticking motor. Good luck.
Dwight likes this.
Old 01-29-2021, 02:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

4.030 bore_4.170 stroke_6.200 rod_AFR 205 or 220 head_427ci Windsor. You won't need more than 5,800 rpm.

Cam it right and you have well over 600 hp and have 550+ ft lbs of torque.

If you can't scare yourself with that in a relic, you can't be scared.

Just remember...you don't steer.....you aim.

We did that combination for Shelby when they were trying to set an IROC style series for Shelbys. Mario Andretti and Parnelli Jones told them to take power out if they wanted them to drive them again.
Old 01-29-2021, 03:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark O'Neal View Post
4.030 bore_4.170 stroke_6.200 rod_AFR 205 or 220 head_427ci Windsor. You won't need more than 5,800 rpm.

Cam it right and you have well over 600 hp and have 550+ ft lbs of torque.

We did that combination for Shelby when they were trying to set an IROC style series for Shelbys. Mario Andretti and Parnelli Jones told them to take power out if they wanted them to drive them again.
Well, I don’t think Mark Donohue would have agreed with that.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 01-29-2021, 11:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Well, I don’t think Mark Donohue would have agreed with that.

I have no idea. They drove them, he didn't.
Old 01-30-2021, 05:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

one of my buddies found this video

BluePrint Engines Factory Full Tour & Behind The Scenes: How Does a Crate Engine Get Made?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jzr2U8bGpvc&feature=youtu.be[/url]
Old 02-08-2021, 10:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
I'm guessing the girdles offer about the same improvement that cross-bolt mains will add.
I don't know if he still has them, But Bessel Motorsports in MO use to make a keyed main cap for the Windsors that would eliminate cap walk.

The girdles might slow it down a tad, but they certainly won't eliminate it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: