Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2021, 04:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Car #1209 Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

Does it start right up after staling or do you have to crank it to clear any flooded gas. Also, does it do it every time under the conditions you listed in your original post or intermittently. I would look at the wiring for a break or loose connection. I had a similar issue a year ago. Drove me nuts for a couple months. Turns out it was a broken wire in the magnetic pickup. Pickup tested fine with ohm meter till I wiggled it. Wiggling every wire I could get access to with the car running would be my first move.
Good luck

Fred

Last edited by FredG; 03-02-2021 at 09:44 AM..
Old 03-02-2021, 04:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwshira View Post
Good idea. I'll try that before switching to the loaner carb.
If the engine doesn't stop under hard braking, that rules out the usual suspects like float level and fuel sloshing from the vent whistles. That is why I asked that question earlier.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 03-02-2021, 05:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If all else fails, then I would suggest you look into Holley Part #11-4 DASHPOT this is a universal model Holley now provides, there website provides a number of brackets to support this dashpot. Dashpots were standard on the 60"s era Holley four barrels on Shelby GT-350"s and while Holley site says for manual shift cars, Shelby had them on automatics as well. If you could find one of those, they are the best, vacuum operated. The dashpot when adjusted correctly cushions the closing of the throttle in the last 4-500 RPM to idle. They are designed to eliminate the problem of sudden throttle closure shutting the engine off.
Old 03-02-2021, 07:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

bkozlow's post reminds me that carburetors with mechanical secondaries require more nuanced operation by the driver than standard street carburetors with vacuum secondaries. Their advantage is that they can give full open throttle quicker than vacuum secondaries but require the driver to control the rate of opening and closing to manage the air/fuel ratio during the transistion to and from wide open throttle. IF you have limited experience with a carburetor with mechanical secondaries your solution may require little more than adjusting your throttle technique to match your hardware. In other words, think of squeezing it more or less rather than flipping a switch from off to on.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 03-02-2021, 08:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA
Not Ranked     

Tommy 'splains it better than me
Old 03-03-2021, 01:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

This issue is more common on Holley modular carbs than many other makes, simply because of the two separate fuel bowl volumes, one each for primary and secondary bores.

Accelerate hard, g-force allows the fuel in the secondary bowl to rush to the rear of the bowl, AND allow more fuel in. (The Primary can act in the opposite manner.)
Get off the gas abruptly and the momentary high fuel level rushes out of the booster venturis, flooding the engine rich.

The OP has stated the engine runs rough after restart, and then smooths out.

I would like to know whether the exhaust blows any puffs of black smoke on restart.

Gold Certified Holden Technician
Old 03-03-2021, 05:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary / FE
Not Ranked     

It almost sounds like you have two different problems. A couple of questions if you please.
1. does your carburetor set at a downward slope in your car? Front lower than the back.
2. Try this please. go out and start your car. Don't drive it. Warm it up just enough to allow it to idle on it's own. rev the engine to about 3000 RPM and hold it there for about 3 seconds. Left off the throttle quickly. does the the engine die?
Old 03-03-2021, 06:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427- 482 Pond Aluminum FE
Not Ranked     

interested to see how the carb switch goes. I'm thinking the engine is sucking an idle circuit dry. Just a theory. Mechanical secondaries can be tricky.
Old 03-04-2021, 08:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1989 KCC from South Africa Right Hand Drive
Not Ranked     

It is most likely that you have the idle set to high....with the idle screw that adjust the plates.......set the throttle plates first.....they should just uncover the transition slot.....and then you are supposed to adjust the idle via the idle screws .... The main idle ...screw ...is know used to get it final......if the idle mixture and transition circuit is set correctly it will not do that......1100-1200 is too high...it should still idle under 1000.
Old 03-06-2021, 10:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

A trick I have used successfully for fuel slosh out of the rear bowl on a holley is taking a piece of rubber hose and connecting the front and rear bowls and allowing the hose to arch up as high as the air cleaner allows. At the top I cut a notch in the fuel line so the bowls can still breathe. This will prevent fuel from sloshing out the short vent pipe and flooding your motor.

Tom
Gaz64 likes this.
Old 03-22-2021, 03:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Dart aluminum block, AFR aluminum heads.
Not Ranked     

I appreciate all of your responses, but this car has me more confused now than before. Three times now over the past weeks I've taken it out for a run, and have tried everything to get it to replicate the problem so I could decide which suggested diagnostic path to follow first, and each time, it has run like a top. Not even a burp where before it was dying. I guess for now, I'll accept that it runs fine, and not mess with it. If it acts up again, and I have a sneaky feeling it will, I'll try some of the suggestions you've given me and if I can identify the problem, I'll be sure to post it here. For now though, cross your fingers for me that the gremlin fell out and is laying on the road somewhere.
Old 03-22-2021, 03:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I appreciate all of your responses, but this car has me more confused now than before. Three times now over the past weeks I've taken it out for a run, and have tried everything to get it to replicate the problem so I could decide which suggested diagnostic path to follow first, and each time, it has run like a top. Not even a burp where before it was dying. I guess for now, I'll accept that it runs fine, and not mess with it. If it acts up again, and I have a sneaky feeling it will, I'll try some of the suggestions you've given me and if I can identify the problem, I'll be sure to post it here. For now though, cross your fingers for me that the gremlin fell out and is laying on the road somewhere.
Could it be weather (temp, humidity) sensitive? If the weather has warmed up since the problem first showed up that could be a clue.
Old 03-24-2021, 03:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Dart aluminum block, AFR aluminum heads.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
Could it be weather (temp, humidity) sensitive? If the weather has warmed up since the problem first showed up that could be a clue.
That's certainly a possibility. It was rather cold (at least by Florida standards) when this was occurring, and we are now consistently 20 to 30 or so degrees warmer.
Old 03-24-2021, 03:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
That's certainly a possibility. It was rather cold (at least by Florida standards) when this was occurring, and we are now consistently 20 to 30 or so degrees warmer.
Possibly, but things tend to run better when the air is colder because its denser. If some adjustment is just on the hairy edge though it could be. About all you can do is to see if it comes back since doing nothing is rarely a fix

Tags
351 windsor, fuel, ignition

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: