Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-22-2003, 08:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 351W, C4
Not Ranked     
Default 351W Buildup

After doing some research and after reading many of the posts in here, I have finally decided to build a 351W for the Cobra Kit I am building. I don't plan to stroke it as I have no intention of racing it.
I have been reading two books; "Ford Windsor Small Block Performance" by Isaac Martin, and "How to Build Max Performance Ford V-8's On a Budget" by George Reid. Both books are very informative regarding what I want to build, yet, I would like to hear from some of you about parts I should consider using.
1) What Crank? Should I stay stock or go with thicker main bearings to allow the narrower journal of the Cleveland crank?
2) What about Pistons? What is everyone's opinion on Federa-Mogul.030" oversize forged flattops?
3) What about the Rods? Stick with 351W stock rods reconditioned with ARP bolts or go with something stronger such as Eagle H-beam rods?
4) What heads to use? Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, Power Heads with a port job, or Explorer GT-40P's?
5) What about Valves and valve sizes? Stainless Valves? What sizes for maximum flow?

The two books I mentioned above list buildups that are not stroked that turn out between 375 and 400 HP in the 5000 to 6000 RPM range, with torques also in that range.
Any thoughts or comments will be greatly appreciated.

Next week I'm running electricity to the detached garage I built. So as soon as that's done I can begin the project. Can't wait!!

Old 04-22-2003, 09:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR SLC, Graziano 6-spd, LS3
Not Ranked     

1) If your not going to race it, stick with stock. The only reason to go with Cleveland sized journals is if you were going for a high RPM motor
2) don't know
3) Stock rods will probably work fine, but it's much cheaper to put in new rods now then it will be if a stock rod fails.
4) I'd go with AFR 185 heads. Edelbrock would be OK too, but I wouldn't use GT-40P heads on a 351W
5) If you go with the Edelbrock heads, get the 2.02" intake valves. AFR 185s also have 2.02" intake valves.

400hp would be a reasonable expectation out of a 351W with a good set of aftermarket heads.

Pete
Old 04-22-2003, 10:26 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tony;

1) For a street motor and even mild "race" motor the stock crank is fine.... Have it checked out and reground if necessary....

2) Forged flattop pistons with 4 reliefs or 4 eyebrows are a good choice,can't go wrong with forged pistons....

3) I'm using stock rods with ARP rod bolts that have been resized,I also polished and balanced the rods,not hard to do,but added insurance against failures,again for a 6,000rpm street engine they will work just fine.. Mine have for the last 17,000 miles with four or five trips to the 1/4 mile a year...

4) I would go with the AFR heads as they are CNC'd from the factory,need no work,just bolt them on,for the money I think they are the best heads on the market right now...

5)They come with 2.02 and 1.60 valves....

For a street motor that will be very streetable 400 hp will be fairly easy to reach with these parts and an Edlebrock Dual plane Performer RPM intake with a Holley 600 cfm carb and a cam with the lift around .500 and duration around 270 to 285... It will have a lot of low end "grunt" and still pull good thru 6,000 rpms....

My 351-W has flat top pistons,stock rods,C-9 iron heads that have been polished and ported and it should make around 350 hp at the flywheel with a 484 lift cam. Idles at 800rpms with 17 inches of vacum and putts around town if forth gear at 25 mph with no hesitation or spitting. Very easy to drive and gets decent gas mileage to boot....

Just my opinion.....

David
Old 04-22-2003, 10:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Tony,

I know several guy's around this area who have gone with the Eidelbrock kit for the 351 Windsor. I think you can get them in different stages and everything is already matched. I talked to one friend of mine who did that and he said he called Eidelbrock and talked to them and told them what he wanted and they recommended the whole setup to achieve his goal, which was around 400 horsepower. He has been driving the car for about 3 years now and is very happy with it. Basically all he did was remove the old parts, clean the engine, and put in the stuff they sent him. So far all the people that I have talked to like the stuff they got and some of them went pretty wild while others stayed below what the person above did. And from what they told me, the cost is not as much as buying seperate parts and then getting everything together to match. Just a thought. You could call Eidelbrock and tell them what you want and see what they say.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery

Last edited by Ron61; 05-04-2003 at 07:42 PM..
Old 05-04-2003, 05:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If you are first time out with your new cobra I would suggest a crate 351w. You have to live with the car for awhile before you decide if you want more power. A 351w from ford motorsports will give you 385HP, there are others available. If you are planning to upgrade later but have a limited budget then start with a 302.
Old 05-05-2003, 07:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A & C, 351W, Tremec 3550. Exiled Member: Club Cranky
Send a message via ICQ to Roscoe
Not Ranked     

I agree with peterd. You also might want to consider an engine from Engine Factory. They are local, good reputation and will give you one year warrantee, Ford gives zilch.

Roscoe