Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2003, 05:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 SC, Southern Automotive 427W Stroker
Not Ranked     
Default OK, forget the big block conversion -

I think I've come to peace with myself regarding the conversion from SB to BB on my Unique. Too much trouble and expense. Plan B is to stroke it (it has a stock bottom end) and hopefully add a Webber quad two-barrel set up, principally for cosmetic appeal at shows. I've monitored a few threads regarding the 48IDAs, mostly on 302s and 347s. I love the existing lope with the hydro cam I have. Does it become a casualty in the Webber retrofit? Is it better to buy the whole assembly of carbs + manifold, linkage etc? Or can any good performance mechanic set them up and tune after install? Where's the best place to purchase the parts? Is it best purchased through an engine builder? I have ported and polished aluminum heads, a medium rise aluminum intake, Edlbrock carb, MSD ignition etc.

My car is strictly a street machine and I push it pretty hard, pretty consistently.
Old 06-04-2003, 06:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2 dr roadster, V-8, 4 spd.
Not Ranked     

If you have never heard a stack of Webers gasping for air at 3-4,000 RPM, you have missed something. I'd take that noise over a lumpy idle any day---then again...I am not well. I would think, a good set of Webers in tune would not change your idle lumpiness all that much. A used set of 48IDAs and a manifold are 3-4K used. Ask Johan, he'll tell you!! He didn't want to part with the set on the GT349.5 I have.
Old 06-08-2003, 06:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No big block? Wimp.

Andy.

Anything is possible (if you can justify throwing bucket loads of money at it!).
Old 06-08-2003, 09:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

TC, Weber is back in full production of the 48IDA. Lead time for a complete set up with manifold is 5 days. Definitely easier than it used to be. I'm planning to visit Bill and talk about a new 427 stroker short block with my current engine parts where ever it makes sense and the Weber pre-integrated set up (after Bill port matches the intake). Despite the gloom and doom naysayers, it sounds pretty exciting.
Old 06-08-2003, 10:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M Cobra - RCR GT40
Not Ranked     

Tony,
listen to TC and ignore ac andy......

Good plan going with the stroked sb and Weber induction. What you lose in "idle lope," and you will, because IR induction systems try to smooth out the pulses, you will gain in other areas. Your engine will be more responsive at all rpm levels, even under a load like lugging the motor in 3rd or 4th gear. Throttle response is always there!! And when they're properly configured, don't worry about your motor running out of air.....

Mike
Old 06-09-2003, 02:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mike, your set up is really nice! Did you put the Weber assembly together yourself? I've spoken to Pierce and Inglese. Pierce if quite a bit cheaper. I too was thinking of having the carbs painted black and the manifold polished. Bill wants to port match the manifold, so I can have it shipped from California, get it ported and polished and sent it back for final assembly with linkage and fuel distribution added. Pierce uses black hose as opposed to the nice braided tubing you used. Do you think it makes sense for me to let Pierce do the intial work and then pull it apart myself and add the braided hose?

I've also been told that higher compression works best with Webers. Since Bill is doing the stroker thing, do you think a 10 or 10.5:1 would work best?

Thanks,

T
Old 06-09-2003, 03:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Big block AND Webers perhaps?

Andy.

Anything is possible (if you can justify throwing bucket loads of money at it!).
Old 06-09-2003, 05:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Andy, believe me, I ran the full gammut of the BB upgrade. In addition to having my nice powercoated frame cut and welded, I have to purchase new headers as well as relocate half of the periferal items under my hood. I would rather spend the bucks on performance and cosmetic enhancements. I think that if I do it right, I can drop a Weberized SB beauty under the hood that will still make the heart flutter.
Old 06-09-2003, 06:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush,B2 Windsor 445
Not Ranked     
Cool

That a boy Tony stay away from theDARK SIDE don't be swayed by the Big Blocked LORD VADER AC ANDY
Paul
Old 06-09-2003, 04:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tony,
Thx for the compliment. I actually bought a complete used "Fast Freddies" 48IDF setup from another CC member. It was configured for an engine similar to mine so I figured I could pretty much just bolt it on. The polished manifold and linkage wasn't as nice as the Inglese manifold I already had, so I swapped the carbs over to the Inglese manifold and installed Inglese linkage. The key to having a nice functioning Weber setup (besides the proper e-tubes, jets, air correctors, etc) is good linkage. I don't know about Pierce Manifolds' linkage, but I know the Inglese linkage is the best I've seen.

Inglese sells a nice 44IDF system for the sbf that is in the range of $2,500, Mickey L. had it on display at the Daytona Turkey Run last November. It did not include any of the extras like powdercoating, or chrome hardware, etc, but that is still a nice bolt on system. At the same show, I also came across a complete used 48IDA system that I nearly bought for $1,900, so I know there are good deals on used assemblies out there. BTW, unless you're building your engine to run consistently at the upper rpm limits out on a race track, 44IDAs or IDFs should be fine on your mostly street driven sbf. Most guys run choke sizes between 37mm & 41mm on a sb, as well as some with bb.

Good plan to have the manifold port-matched to the heads and Bill P is the right guy to send it to.

If the carbs you buy come with the brass fuel inlet nipples that are threaded into 3/8 npt (?) threads instead of pressed into the boss, you should be able to replace them with AN fittings and install braided hose fairly easily.

10:1 or 10.5:1 compression will be fine.

Good luck,

Mike
Old 06-17-2003, 06:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tony,
I can attest to the beauty of Mike's Webers. A crowd gathers around Mike's car at every cruise-in to admire them. Mike is a good source for tuning tips. He has been through it and "knows the ropes" especially when it comes to Webers and carburetion.
Charlie
Old 06-17-2003, 07:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2 dr roadster, V-8, 4 spd.
Not Ranked     

Geez, I just got in from the garage after staring at my Webers for 10 minutes, come in here for a change of pace, and this post hits me.

All I can say is Tony--Make an informed decision. Drive in a Weber setup car at 3000 RPM (you are welcome in mine). Stare at Mike I's pics for 10 minutes. Take deep breath, wipe sweat off brow, make sure any bulges are not showing, then cut check

p.s. no need for polished intake with Webers
Old 06-17-2003, 10:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Default reality of it...

Tony,
I like Big Blocks... but if it makes you feel any better about your choice to stay SB, I once saw a Red 289 FIA with Webbers kick the crap out of everything (including a few 427SC comp cars) at Willow Springs raceway a few years back. The guy would go to the front for a few laps to show who was boss, then let everyone pass him, and start all over again making his way to the front quickly. There were a few GT40s, and couple of heavily modified Mustangs in the mix too. When it came down to who owned the track that day, everyone knew about that little Red 289 FIA with Webbers, and wow did it sound very cool! It sure made an impression on me. Have Fun.
Old 06-18-2003, 08:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thx Charlie, you're too kind, but my car only draws flies when your car is around......

================================
TC, you have way too many toys.......and I suddenly realize that I don't have nearly enough.....

Hey, are those IDA Webers on the GT350 (I mean, GT349.5) the ones that you conned JW out of, or did you con him out of the entire car?? Sweet, sweet setup.... See you in 2 weeks at the W100....
================================

Tony, I agree with TC, no need to polish that manifold if Webers will be sitting on top of it!!!

Mike

Last edited by Mike I; 06-18-2003 at 08:03 AM..