Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2003, 09:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to Sazzlefrats Send a message via Yahoo to Sazzlefrats
Not Ranked     
Default Which Carb do I want?

I have a 65 289 recently rebuilt...... buts its just a 2v. I am going with a 4v set up.

The 289 is going to remain mostly stock. I envision tri-Y headers, X-crossover pipe and probably something quieter than flowmasters (I don't know yet) On the intake side of the motor I bought a ford motorsport dual plane manifold its the one idle to 5500rpm.

Here's the part thats been working me over. I can't figure out what carb I want. I think I want a 600cfm, dual feed, vacumn secondary with electric choke. I have no clue about part numbers or whether holley or edelbrock is the brand I want. The only thing going for me is that I have access to a dyno machine and a mechanic who's all up for tinkering to get the best performance out of whatever carb I do get. (I haven't had a chance to ask the mechanic yet, but I wanted everyones opinion as I have no clue yet)

Thanks and please let me know

Jeff
Old 09-09-2003, 09:20 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     

You didn't mention some of the other particulars about your car and setup. But a 600 vacuum secondary carb sounds like it will work just fine for you. But DO have it dyno tuned for the car. Of course, it doesn't hurt that I have one for sale in the parts for sale forum
Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 09-09-2003, 09:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Oh Geez your right. I did forget some important stuff.

The car is a 3spd manual, with plans in a year to convert to 5spd. I beleive it has stock 2.73 gears. I plan on driving the car around town and freeway, nothing crazy.

Is there anything else I should include?
Old 09-09-2003, 09:52 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Did some looking......

........ around and a 600 vacuum secondary carb seems about right. Larger is definiatly out and I wouldn't go mechanical secondary with that kind of gearing. I did some math and checked Holley's web page and from experience with my 289 two barrell I think this will work just fine. I don't see an reason that you will need the dual inlet center hung bowls unless it is like me, you like the looks! The carb I have available worked great, the only reason I took it off was for a slightly larger carb (on my 351C, not a 289) and appearence. Still pulled 400 on the dyno with the out of the box 1850 600 cfm carb.

As for the electric choke, I have not spent much time playing with mine but I am not overly impressed.

Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 09-09-2003, 09:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I used to fix them for a living
Not Ranked     

600 CFm, vac secondary, center hung floats, Holley brand Holley carb. Manual tranny so you don't need the ford kickdown lever. You will need to replace the front jets fron the 72's they'll give you to something like a 65. You don't really need a choke in CA.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

2.73 is what the Mustangs typically used with an auto trans. Kinda high for a stick shift. I wonder if the car was converted to stick? You might want to consider a lower ratio, 3.3 or so for highway cruising, 3.5 or lower for performance. Rear ratio will affect carb tune. A choke is not a bad idea in many parts of Calif. 600 cfm is plenty big enough.

Ernie
Old 09-09-2003, 10:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I don' know what the actual gears are, I'm sure they are the original gearing for an original 3spd. If manual transmissions were 3.0 then that is probably what I have. In any event, changing gear ratios is a much bigger job that I want to get into unless something goes bad.

My original mustang was an early production 67 390cid gta fastback. I knew everything about that car. Had all options except tilt steering. Plus it was super special "Basketcase deluxe!"

This 65 mustang I don't know it all yet :-P What I do know is that it has 2 options. V8 engine and Convertable top. But its very clean and appears to be basketcase free so I'm happy. Overtime I'm going to add all gt/pony options.

But today I'm trying to understand the mystery of the carburator!
Here's what I know
Holley 600cfm vac secondary w/ electric choke (it does get frosty in winter)= all good
Jets I know sorta about 65's sound good

Here's what I need to ask more about
Side hung vs Center hung ?
Dual feed vs Single feed ?

What else should I know about carbs?
Old 09-09-2003, 11:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Center hung float bowls are dual feed, one inlet per fuel bowl, and the float is pivoted in the middle, so it doesn't get as affected by cornering. Side hung floats are a single inlet carb, with a balance tube feeding the secondary fuel bowl, the floats are also hinged on one side insead of the middle.
Old 09-09-2003, 12:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Side vs Center

So here's the big question whats the performance difference between side hung and center hung. I am guessing I would not notice a difference in power or economy in daily driving, how about if I am in the mountains on highway 17 (aka one of top 3 most dangerous highways in CA) going to santa cruz and I am gunning the car thru corners? (not racing, just having a bit of fun)
Old 09-09-2003, 01:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

no difference except when cornering, or when looking under the hhod.
Old 09-09-2003, 01:08 PM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Center vs. side

Personally, I did not have any trouble with a side hung carb on my Cobra and that was running Hoosier TDs. But I have heard of some that do.
Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 09-09-2003, 03:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

But the center hung float bowls look so much cooler !!!
Old 09-12-2003, 06:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Here's what I'm going with

For my 2V 289. My intake solution is this.

Ford Motorsports Dual Plane intake (idle to 5500rpm)
and will top it off with
A 1850-5 holley carb. 600cfm 4v, Single Feed, with Vac Secondaries and Manual Choke. I figure I'm not doing any aggressive driving, nor do we have severe winters where I'd need an electric choke. Thus, and I laugh, "any old carb will do"

Thanks for your help everyone. (now to figure out a nice exhaust system.