Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2004, 07:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Question 289 HiPo 5-bolt

I am seeking information from Cobra owners with original 5-bolt 289 HiPo engines (1963-64). As author of "Mustang & Ford Small Block V8s, 1962-1969" and as keeper of the Fairlane K-code Registry, I have discovered that the 5-bolt 289 HiPo engines were serialized in the Fairlanes. Each authentic 289 HiPo carries a sequential number. I have tracked 16 numbers in Fairlanes. I believe that the Cobra 289 HiPos also carry this number. I am plotting these sequential numbers against the engine assembly dates. If you have one of these engines, I would like to hear from you.

Bob Mannel
Old 01-01-2004, 08:06 AM
CC Member / Sponsor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Daytona Coupe
Not Ranked     

Wow,

The 289 Cobras had stamped on the VIN tag the engine number.

Is it possible that these numbers are one and the same?

Could you give us an example of the number that is stamped into the engine?

Could you please tell us where to look on the engine?

Have you deciphered the code?
Old 01-01-2004, 09:24 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, BOSS 351C/Webers
Not Ranked     
Default 289 HiPo Serial numbers

Tom -

On Ford 289 HiPo engines, the serial number of the car the engine was originally installed in is stamped in the block on the right hand (passenger) side just above the rail of the oil pan. Here is an example from a Shelby GT350:

This generally applies ONLY to the 289 "HiPo" engine - Ford did not usually stamp the VIN's of non-HiPo 289's in the early sixties. The serial number decoding, by example, is "6R09K" (where 6= 1966 Model Year; R= San Jose Assy Plant; 09= Mustang Fastback Bodystyle; K= 289/271HP High Performance engine), followed by a six digit vehicle sequence build number.

I sincerely doubt that 289 Cobras have any such VIN number stamped into the block. The reason I say that is, the engines in Cobras were installed at SAI, not at a Ford or AC facility. As far as Ford was concerned, these engines were "aftermarket" sales to an outside vendor. They would have been just like Service replacement parts - date coded for whenever they were manufactured, but without a vehicle VIN number.

I certainly wish Bob well on his research (he has written an exceptionally comprehensive book on the small block Ford 289/302 engines), but I don't think that this one will help him out much.

I would venture to guess that there are very few original Cobras around that still have their original engine intact.

regards,
cobrajeff
Old 01-01-2004, 12:52 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

bob
i have an over the counter 5 bolt hipo 289 block ( C40E casting number with a '65 date code) purchased from "sai" in 1965. there are no stamped numbers on my block as indicated on the photo of the original GT350 serial number listed in the previous post.
Old 01-01-2004, 04:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks to those responding. The 6-bolt 289 HiPos (65 and later) most often had the VIN and not the numbers I am investigating, which are only on the 5-bolt (63 and 64).
I have a 63 Fairlane HiPo. The engine was assembled on 3D9 (April 9, 1963). This is not the block casting date, but the one stamped in the block just forward of the driver's cylinder head. The sequential number is 482. This was also painted on the rear of the engine. The stamping is on the boss just above the Z-bar mounting stud. Photo of my number included here.

Regards, Bob Mannel
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2004, 04:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX Cars
Not Ranked     

I am looking for a 289 HiPo so if you hear anything please let me know.

Thanks,

Allan
Old 08-01-2004, 04:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi, I have one of the 64 Falcons which
were used for rallying by Alan mann.
The block has no number as yours has
but does have HM10 stamped on one of
the lugs just below the cylinder head face.
As Holman Moody prepared these motors
I suspect this has something to do with
them.
Martyn.
Old 08-01-2004, 06:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 2401 street 289 Cobra and CSX 3288 Street "427" Cobra
Not Ranked     

Bob, Sorry I missed this posting when first started. The 289 Cobras did indeed have numbers stamped into the little protruding part of the block, on the drivers side rear, just below the head. This number matched the "engine number" listed on the AC Cars tag on the footbox. I have examined several 289s with their original engines (2401, 2492, 2490, 2149 to list only the 4 that readily come to mind) and each car has the number on the tag stamped into that area. I will have to check the cars to get the exact numbers for you. The number on the engine block on 2401 is 5018. This is not the same place as in the photo by Jeff, but is on the part in your photo. I'll have my partner take a look at 2490 and 2149 and give you those numbers. I haven't noticed any particular sequence, but I wasn't really looking for one.
(The tag actually has" A 5018" listed as the engine #)
I know of several more 289s that do have their original engines, so I'll check on those numbers, too.
The 427s did not have any engine numbers listed on the Shelby American tag. I don't know why they were listed on the 289s, but they were!
Your book is wonderful, by the way.

Last edited by Jim Maxwell; 08-01-2004 at 06:57 PM..
Old 08-01-2004, 08:30 PM
CC Member / Sponsor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hello Martyn,

Could you post some pictures of your Alan Mann Falcon? It has been a long time since I have seen your pictures of your car. Tell Gerry hello for me.
Old 08-02-2004, 11:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi Tom, here are some pics of the Falcon, if
the files I have attached post ok that is.
Long job but getting there, hope to have
it finished mid next year.
I will need some 5.5in Galaxy wheels at some point, got any kicking around?
All the best, Martyn.

Last edited by 64Falcon; 07-08-2007 at 07:26 AM.. Reason: Picture update
Old 08-02-2004, 03:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

CSX2310 and other 289 Cobra engines I have looked at have part of the number stamped in one lug and the rest in the other at the opposite end of the engine. The same number was painted with a brush on the back of the block. The number was stamped on the foot box tag.........Dan
Old 08-02-2004, 06:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ford did brush-paint the sequential number on the back of the engine -- sometimes in two places inthe bellhousing area. The number matched the one of the stud.

Bob Mannel
Old 08-02-2004, 09:50 PM
CC Member / Sponsor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Martyn,

Looking good. I will check and see if we can find any. I assume you need the disc brake version.
Old 08-03-2004, 02:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi Tom, yes I think they are 11in diameter
disc's.
I am told the wheels are off the standard
passenger car if that helps.
God knows what the traction will be like as
there was next to none even on slicks, unlike the Kirkham which really hooks up
great.
Cheers, Martyn.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Here are the #'s off my C4OE block I picked up in Long Beach recently:

2679 on the protruding tab

3K28W near the front of the block

3K28B on the pan rail, I think...

Anyone know what this came out of ?

Andy in San Jose

2013 GT350 Widebody Convertible
Old 03-07-2005, 06:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks, Andy. It is a genuine HiPo. I have another number that is 2762 with a date code of 3K30. So, yours was 83 before that and assembled two days earlier. The numbers are beginning to cluster. There seem to be times of heavy production, then less activity. Seems a bunch were made near the same time. I still only have two dozen data points, so I appreciate each one I get.

Regards, Bob Mannel
Old 03-09-2005, 08:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the info Bob. I looked at where a number would be stamped on the passenger side above the pan, but there is no number there. Do you think this was from a Cobra? Or do you think it was an over the counter item?

On a related note, I picked up a 5 bolt Wedge Co. scattershield that is identical to the COBRA unit in an old Ford Performance Parts catalog from 64. Except mine doesn't have COBRA cast into the top like the picture. Mine has Wedge and NHRA APP cast into it like the COBRA unit. Do you know if this came on a Cobra? Or would this fall into the over the counter part category?

Thanks again,
Andy in San Jose

2013 GT350 Widebody Convertible
Old 03-09-2005, 01:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Andy, I have only seen VINs stamped on engine blocks for 1965 production (passenger's side front above the oil pan). Never on 63 or 64. But, the 65s don't have the sequential numbers. My guess is that your block is a production engine, but I can't rule out that it might be a spare engine in Ford's parts department.

Don't know anything significant about scattershield markings. Sorry.

Bob Mannel
Old 04-27-2006, 01:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up just bought 289 vin 5k31t264965

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmannel
I am seeking information from Cobra owners with original 5-bolt 289 HiPo engines (1963-64). As author of "Mustang & Ford Small Block V8s, 1962-1969" and as keeper of the Fairlane K-code Registry, I have discovered that the 5-bolt 289 HiPo engines were serialized in the Fairlanes. Each authentic 289 HiPo carries a sequential number. I have tracked 16 numbers in Fairlanes. I believe that the Cobra 289 HiPos also carry this number. I am plotting these sequential numbers against the engine assembly dates. If you have one of these engines, I would like to hear from you.

Bob Mannel
i was told this was a 289 hipo but how to check engine.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The car is a 6-cylinder (code T). The K is for Kansas City Aseembly plant. K-code Fairlanes have a K in the fifth position.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: