Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-15-2004, 01:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics 351w 310rwhp
Not Ranked     
Default Lone Star Classics engines?

Did anyone buy their engine with the kit from lone star?
I bought the kit and engine about 3 1/2 years ago. The motor is really strong but i wanted a lopey cam, so i bought a new cam and intake. I thought is was a good motor till i pulled off the valve covers. Parden my french, but this is when the **** hit the fan.

Problems with the engine: 1. used non heat treated pushrods, which the guide plates peeled like a banana. 2. the guide plates were not aligned properly with the slot through the heads. 3. intake gaskets were about 1/8 inch off and the edges were sticking into the port 4. they reused the balancer from what looks like the orignal motor. the rubber seal is cracked. 5. reused fuel pump eccentric, which I dont even need b/c of electric pump 6. very very cheap gaskets and seals. 7. very cheap timing set and gears 8. the key on the crank for the crack gear is chipped probably b/c the moron building the engine hammered the crank gear on

I am very surprised that this motor made it to 2600 miles. So it turns out my simple cam and intake swap cost me an extra $300 for the new pushrods, balancer, and new seals.

Am I the only person that this has happened to?? I would not recommend Lone Star. I have been calling them for 12 days, and for some reason, they dont call me back!

Last edited by 66ls427; 07-15-2004 at 01:17 PM..
Old 07-15-2004, 06:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Comp.
Not Ranked     

Check out this thread, sound like he had some of the same issues you are having with your engine.

Down but not out
Old 07-15-2004, 07:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That is the same thing that is happening to me. This is not the first motor from LS either. The first was the exact same engine, but they forgot to install the thrust plate in front of the cam. Even though the warranty was expired by 2 or 3 months, Steve did replace the motor only because we had never driven the car.
Old 07-15-2004, 08:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS 427, Keith Craft 501,Toploader
Not Ranked     

Hey Letzbang, how far along on your car are you? I'm not an expert, but if you have any questions I'd be glad to help if I can,
Tim
Old 07-16-2004, 04:10 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

Guys, Now I can only speak from what I have seen, but Lone Star does not do their own engines. They also do not do their own transmissions. I mean, yes they put them in and marry them, but they have no engine or transmission mechanics there... persay.

I also know that they have lost their best builder, their lead engineer and have had some personel problems.

I suggest; call about 11:00 am Eastern time and press 1. Wait for either sales or the secretary to answer. Ask for Brian and talk to him about this problem. 877 - 572 - 2277.

Steve is the owner and quite frankly, is not there alot. I think the luster has gone for him.

I do not have anything to do with Lone Star, but I do own one of their bodies.
Old 07-16-2004, 09:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Who did they lose? Was it Dennis?
Old 07-16-2004, 04:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via MSN to CowtownCobra
Not Ranked     

As usual, Trularin knows what he is talking about. I know no more than what he stated, but I concur.
Old 07-18-2004, 10:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Comp.
Not Ranked     

Tim,

Iam coming along pretty good, I started building it this time last year. I have the drive train and windshield, rollbar and wiring left to do. Other than that its done. Except paint and body still.

I might take you up on some of that assistance, Its always good to look at another car and see how things are done. Thanks.

Jeff