Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2006, 06:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default 302 for a 351 in the Maverick?

Does anyone know if a 351 W will fit in the engine bay of a 75 Maverick? Its got a 302 in it now. I got a real sleeper candidate and if it doesnt sell on ebay.... ya never know.

Thanks
tim
Old 04-06-2006, 06:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

A sleeper Maverick.....I like it.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

351-W will drop right in and bolt up, only problem may be headers/exhaust.............it will be a tight squeeze and I'm not sure anyone makes headers for them, but the stock 351-W exhaust manifolds should work.........

the front/rear suspension is the same as on the 65/66 Mustangs and also the Granada/Monarch/Versailles models.....

I've seen a few at the drags running 393 strokers, but they all had custom made headers for drag racing.......but it does make for a hell of a sleeper...............I especially like the blue grabbers, there are still 2 original ones running around here, I tried for 3 years to buy one and the local bank did not have enough money to pry it from the original owners hands, it's a weekly/weekend driver now, all original down to the paint...................

David
Old 04-06-2006, 10:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

What is your reserve?
Old 04-07-2006, 03:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

$3900 reserve. Thats just what i got in it.

I was thinkin if i could find a 400 ± hp/tq 351 and a cheap drive train to go behind it, some nice quite dual exhaust, I could have alot of fun at the stop lights.

I have no problem running manifolds in fact I would prefer them. How about height. I assume id have to run a pretty low profile intake to keep it under the stock hood?

What would the recommended intake be?

Thanks

Could be all done for under 10k. 6k more plus the car.
Put some Roush Valve Covers on it and i got a Gapp & Roush wannabe.

Last edited by tbirdz12; 04-07-2006 at 05:37 AM..
Old 04-07-2006, 04:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tim;

Run an Edlebrock dual plane performer rpm intake and a drop base air cleaner and you can get a 3" air filter element and it should all fit nicely under the hood.......

If you can find a rear end from the 70's Versailles, it is a 9" with factory disc brakes and will bolt right in the Maverick, you'll have the 9" plus rear disc brakes, it's the correct width and the spring perches are in the exact location they need to be.........also the 1980 Granadas had a 9" and it's also the correct width and will bolt in, but has drum brakes.........

With the 351-W, you'll definetly have a "street sleeper", especially on a four door car........................

David
Old 04-07-2006, 05:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks David

Thats very helpful. Those are the kind of tips I will need if i decide to do this.

Heres some more pics of the car.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...QQcmdZViewItem

As far as exhaust manifolds go, which would be preferred?

How about tranny too? Not familiar with ford gears, but if no overdrive then id say a max of 3.70 ish.

Last edited by tbirdz12; 04-07-2006 at 06:38 AM..
Old 04-07-2006, 08:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Man, oh man. I used to have a '74 2-dr Maveric with a 302. Changing plugs was a nightmare! I can't imagine the extra height of the 351 under that hood! Good idea though!
Old 04-07-2006, 11:19 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tim;

The early 351-W exhaust manifolds are the best (69 to 74), you could go with a 4-speed toploader or pretty much any trans you would like.........A good inexpensive choice would be an AOD overdrive trans from the 80's model LTDs or other fords.........still fairly plentiful in the junkyards, usually very good price and you could run a "low" rear gear and still have overdrive for highway cruising/gas mileage........

BTW; that's a really clean nice looking car............

David
Old 04-07-2006, 12:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You could also just make a 347 out of your current motor. CHI has heads and intake that would make it into a little Boss 302.

Comp has relatively new XFI hydraulic roller grinds that are moderately aggressive and I believe work well with the Ford cam diameters. You could go as low as a 202/212 with these profiles, while still having .585 lift with the Cleveland 1.73 rockers. You would probably just run 1.8 BBC rockers though.

The CHI heads, in addition to be being aluminum, have smaller raised ports and 2.07 valves vs the 2.19 or 2.21 on the Boss 302s. Their intake manifold works with Windsor setups. Diamond has a shelf piston that will work with this setup.

Much more interesting setup.

Would a Mustang K-frame fit (like a Griggs)? What could you do the leaf springs to tame them? Do 64-70 Mustang parts fit? Would 225 wide tires fit? Was the stock size 205/75-14?

Last edited by DavidNJ; 04-07-2006 at 12:51 PM..
Old 04-07-2006, 01:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Back in the day a 4 door Maverick made these guys famous.
Lost the friggin picture, well anyway some of you guys have heard of Gapp and Rousch

Last edited by RACER X #99; 04-07-2006 at 04:43 PM..
Old 04-08-2006, 09:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

RacerX
I saw the pic before it disappeared.

Would this 81 granada have the rear that i would want for the swap?

thanks
tim

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1981-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 04-08-2006, 05:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I don't remember right off hand the year models for the granadas, but it's the "square" ones, the front and rear ends are sqaure looking........ I think they started in the early to mid 70's and went til early 80's............I know that the 1980 granada for some unkown reason came with a 9" rear, all other years had the 8" rear........

All the front/rear suspension on the 65/66 mustang, early granadas/monarchs will interchange with the maverick.........

For the rear leaf springs, get a set of 65/66 mustang under-ride traction bars, very easy to install and look good and work great........

David
Old 04-08-2006, 06:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

History Lesson:
The 9" diff was a rare piece in the Granada/Monarch 75 (?)-78, they primarily used the 8" diff. The 9" differential was primarily found oddly enough in 6 cyl Taxi cabs. During its production run the Granada was exceedingly popular as a Taxi and Ford equipped consequently them with reasonably good brakes and the larger rear axle assembly. The consant loads and stop & go fared better with the disc brakes & the larger diff. The narrow 9" was standard with the disc brakes in the more upscale 77-79 Lincoln Versalle. In '79 or 80 (?) the rebodied Granada shared their platform with the also restyled and first generation "Fox platform/chassis" from the '79 Mustang. I don't think any of the Fox chassis had 9" diffs as an available option regardless of their intended usage.
Don't be afraid to take a wider housing and narrow it down. If you ARE able to find a Versaille rear, you will normally pay a premium and also pay a higher than normal price for calipers (VERY HEAVY) and the like.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way

Last edited by Rick Parker; 04-08-2006 at 06:46 PM..
Old 07-07-2006, 09:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Update

Not going with a 351. Looks like im going with 331 or347 kit from someone. Havent selected it yet but heres what ive got so far.

AFR CNC'c 165's from Keith Craft with HR springs
RPM Air Gap intake
Holley 600 with electric choke and C4 kickdown
Hooker Super comp Ceramic coated headers 1-5/8"
Hooker Aerochamber 2.5" muffs
Will have 10.0:1 compression ±
Carter Strip Fuel pump
Standard Oil pump
Scorpion 1.7 roller rockers
Cloyes billet Double roller timing set
MSD Digital E-Curve Pro Billet Dist
Hyd Roller cam (need a k.a. cam suggestion around 220-224 duration)
3.55 or 3.80 gears
C4 shift kit

with a 347 it should be around 400hp+/400tq

Thanks
tim
Old 07-07-2006, 09:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Been there, done that

I had a 1974 2 door maverick. Put a 351 cleveland 4v in it. Edelbrock torker intake, big cam, factory exhaust manifolds (required a slight adjustment to the shock towers, later notched them). Headman used to make a swap header for the combo, might still. Used the stock Maverick rear axles, had a nine inch housing narrowed to work with them. 28 spline set up, strong enough for street use. Used a c4 auto in it, with a 3.50 rear gear. Switched out the front bumper fot the 70 piece with the splash pan underneath. Had a 69 mach 1 hood scoop. Was a fun ride, would beat anything on the street that wasn't tubbed in the back.

Paul
Old 03-09-2013, 03:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well I thought i should update this post because im sure most thought i was just dreaming big. This project started out as a 4-door maverick sleeper that turn into a 2 maverick sleeper. I fell in love with a mint 69.5 2 door mav on Ebay with 41,000 on it so i bought that and it became my sleeper project. I took what goodies i could off the 4 door (mexican block, disc brakes) put the 6 cyl from the 2 door 69.5 into the 4 door and sent it down the road.

First I Built up a dissappointing 331 stroker with AFR 165 heads, only made 368 hp/ 400 tq so I tore that apart and tried it again. This time the 331's target power was 500 hp/ 440 tq. So the new build would include the same 331 DSS short block but new
7 Qt Canton oil pan
AFR 205 heads
Vic Jr intake
Big solid Roller cam (.622 254* 107)
10.4 CR
Mighty Demon 750
MSD Digital 6 Plus Ing, Dist, Coil
150 GPM Holley electric pump,
Spal Electric fan
Griffin Racing radiator
1-5/8" Hooker Supercomp Header
Electric cutouts
H pipe
2.5" exhaust
Hooker Aerochamber muffs with dumps before the rear axle
Wilwood Hydraulic clutch and throwout
Lakewood Bellhousing
Centerforce Dxf Clutch
Gforce Street T5 tranny
Pro 5.0 Shifter
Ford 9" with 3.70 posi
Driveshaft safety loop
Brake bias
Rancho 10 way adj rear shocks
QA1 Adjustable front shock
Caltrac bars
Bias ply E70/14 whitewall Wide Ovals
Dog dish caps
6 cyl faux tailpipe
Finish weight was 2,810#

Got to the chassis dyno last week and it put down 392 rwhp/ 353 rwtq.

[IMG]httphttp://carphotos2.cardomain.com/images/0016/15/68/16105186_large.jpg?v=1://[/IMG]

More pics of the project here ----> http://www.cardomain.com/gallery/10685393
Old 03-09-2013, 07:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR, 302
Not Ranked     

That is one sweet Maverick! Great job.