Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-23-2006, 07:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #423 /Roush 402/Titanium W/ Back Stripes
Not Ranked     
Default Tko Vs T-56 Help!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st timer on C. C. About to go with a Backdraft.SPF, or Unique w/ a Roush 402R/Mcleod. But different opinions on a Tremec from builders. The Robust TKO 600 hard to shift unless you change to Midshift kit, but best suited for the 402. The T-56 which is in many production sport cars has 6 speeds, more expensive & has you running around in 5th gear. My head is spinning. Your take ! I'm a detailer , not a Motorhead. Oh, this car probably won't hit the track ? Thanks for your help......
Old 04-23-2006, 08:42 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

It is the one thing I wish I had done, T56.

You can tool around with great HP, a rear end that is in the 4:11 or 4:56 range and with the .62 sixth gear drive on the freeway without eating a lot of gas.

Do the T56.

I may still.

Old 04-24-2006, 03:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default TKO VS T-56 Help!

Trularin. thanks for the input on which Trans. to use..Thought I'd have more suggestions. Guess Ill take you advice and go with a T-56...Keep it upright !!!
Old 04-24-2006, 04:17 PM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     

Rich,
I've only had one trans in my cobra so I can't do a comparsion.

My T-56 has the same 5th gear as the 600rr.That is a good all around gear except when you get to around 80 mph.Then it is really nice to have another gear to drop the rpm's when cruising down the road.

I'm really happy with it.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP329 w/KC489 Shelby
Not Ranked     

Quote:
The Robust TKO 600 hard to shift unless you change to Midshift kit, but best suited for the 402.
I have only about 4000mi on it, but I haven't had any problems shifting. In fact, it is actually fairly smooth.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf 1837 408w 93mm turbo
Send a message via AIM to mike knight Send a message via Yahoo to mike knight
Not Ranked     

I have a T56 in my Superformance. My engine is a purpose built Sb bored and stroked to 408. It also has a 92MM inter cooled turbo. The reason I chose the Viper T56 is it's ability to supposedly handle 900 HP. I would rather be safe than sorry. Some of the issues I had to deal with were the trans is about 3" longer than a TKO and it effects on the pinion angle as well as the length of the drive shaft. Additionally the shifter location is slightly aft of the standard opening. So far I have not experienced any vibration due to the greater pinion angle. I have had the car to about 145MPH with no unexpected vibration. You may want to check with backdraft as to the location of their frame cross member as it relates to the trans. Mods to any frame need careful consideration! Pinion angle can also be a problem in some applications. I am not a mechanic so I don't know all of the issues but I am merely relating my experience with my install. I am very pleased with the trans and the close ratios. i am also using a pro 5.0 shifter and it is silk. Last the trans is somewhat heavier if that matters to you.
71 torino cobra 429 scj
66 ford galaxie 7 liter
68 buick wildcat 430

Last edited by mike knight; 04-25-2006 at 07:56 AM..
Old 04-25-2006, 09:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default tko Vs t-56 Help!

Thanks again for the input. Looks like the T-56 out weighs the 600. Working at a Dodge Dealer here in Daytona I asked today how the T-56 held up in the Viper, and they claim they never replaced one yet, and we sell a lot of Vipers.So that's it the builder at Backdraft claims it fits just fine and that's the way to go, but Roush sez do the 600...Enough said. I'm ready to order the new badboy and give those Harley's a break!!
Peace out.....Racer Rich
Old 04-26-2006, 08:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf 1837 408w 93mm turbo
Send a message via AIM to mike knight Send a message via Yahoo to mike knight
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

imho you will be more than happy, i am!
71 torino cobra 429 scj
66 ford galaxie 7 liter
68 buick wildcat 430