Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 01-21-2007, 09:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default Cleaning aluminum intake manifold

The Edelbrock manifold on my car is filthy. What's the best way to clean it? Someone recommended that I glass bead blast it, which I am equipped to do. Is this the best way? Have ay of you ever done this? Does something work better?
Old 01-21-2007, 09:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Find somebody in your area that sells industrial truck washing chemicals, buy a gallon of aluminum brightner. Mix the product approx 5:1 with water and soak your manifold for about 15 minutes, rinse very well, it should come out looking like new.
I always hate to bead anything related to the intake, if you miss just a few beads in your cleanup it will destroy your engine.
Rick
Old 01-21-2007, 09:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cutting Edge, Boss 429
Not Ranked     

Glass bead blast is an excellent way to make it look as new again. You of course would want to take it off to do it.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates - 390 FE
Not Ranked     

Anybody ever try "Aluminator"? I read about it in an article in the Feb issue of Car Craft. I personally have not used it, but the article caught my eye for the same reason. It is sold by Orison Marketing in Abilene, TX, Ph: 325-692-1135, url: orisonmarketing.com. The listed price is $4.95 for 32 ounces. If you do use it, let us know how it turns out. Good luck.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:56 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

Glass bead!

Doesn't remove metal, makes it look new.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotic
Not Ranked     

NAPA sells an aluminum cleaner that works great...used it on an old john boat that had sat for 30 years...looks like new..3 step process: spray it on; rinse it off; stand back and say WOW!!!!
Old 01-22-2007, 07:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2027, 65' 289" PS wheels
Not Ranked     
Default clean up manifold

If the ugliness is fuel/oil/water stains, and the manifold is ON the engine, the aluminum brighteners ought to work, especially if you have an assortment of old tooth brushes to help it along...hey, plain old Gunk can do a LOT of clean up.

If you REMOVE the manifold, and degrease it...try the glass beads...the color will still be the same.

If it was a polished surface...that will be gone I think...maybe you have to use "spent glass" to not DULL the surface...fresh beads may cut and dull the surface...some of the guys could offer their experience here.

I prefer a rough "flat" finish on the aluminum...BUT, if you are into a polished and shiny surface...the glass shot seems NOT to be what to do.

I had my Weiand Stealth manifold shot at a "aircraft/industrial" shot peen shop with STEEL beads...changed the bright aluminum color a little to a darker shade with a brassy tone...should have used glass beads to match the mat finish on my valve covers.

Before it was shot, I had ground off all the Weiand logos/numbers with a fluted burr in 3/8th drill...lots of masking tape so as to VERY carefully not go below the overall surface.

My rational for "steel" shoot was any grinding marks would more likely be obscured. The marks are gone but didn't realize the steel would leave a color on the aluminum.

Pete
ERA 289 #2027
Old 01-22-2007, 08:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #698 428 Toploader
Not Ranked     

Glass beads will dull the finish if its polished. If its raw casting glass beads is the way to go. Clean the intake in safety clean or use brake clean to remove the oil underneath first so the glass will not stick to it. Also, you can blast a spot on the underneath to see if you like the finish first.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, 331 Sportsman block, T5Z, 3.55 IRS, Fuel Safe cell
Not Ranked     

Most transmission rebuild shops have a cleaning tank that's designed to clean aluiminum with destroying it. The parts come out looking brand new. They will probably clean it for you for little or no money. Second option is to clean it using some of the above mentioned products, than wait untill the spouse is away from home and stick it in the dish washer. To avoid problems later on, be sure an clean out the inside of the dishwasher before the wife gets home.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427SO with big twin autolite inlines on custom intake, jag rear, top loader, wembeldon white, guardsmen blue stripes
Not Ranked     

Muratic acid, get up wind and delute 30% water, I sanblasted my knockoffs
to get that all business look and clean with muratic about twice anually.

Remember!, there's a huge difference between a 'parts' changer, and a mechanic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: