Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-03-2009, 04:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: D&D
Not Ranked     
Default What size carb?

If you use the formula motor size (cid) times max rpm divided by 3456 will equal the size of carb for the motor. Then you use the VE of 85% for street motors, 90% for modified motors and 95% for race motors. If I plug in the formula 408 cid 6000 rpm =2448000/3456= 708cfm x .90(VE 90%)=637cfm. This should be the wright size carb but what part does the size of cam and the heads play in how this will work? The motor is a 408w solid roller 610 lift vic jr world products wind sr ported and polished. Thanks for your input
Cheers Greg
Old 04-03-2009, 04:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

I'd put a 750 double pump on it....and I would probably even go with an 850 if it had vacuum secondaries. The formulas are usually wrong.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1969 Mustang Fastback Pro-Street, constantly changing ongoing project!
Not Ranked     

I Agree with Brent.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body; but rather a skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, WHAT A RIDE!"
Old 04-03-2009, 07:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ok right now I have a edelbrock 1411 750 cfm carb and I would assume by the above statements that to go to a holly I should use a 4779 750 cfm double pumper or a 80770 street avenger 770 cfm vaccum. Which would be suggested for street and autocross. I can't get the stumble out of the edelbrock so I am changing the carb.
Cheers Greg
Old 04-03-2009, 08:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MK III,462 FE/TKO 600, IRS w/3.27
Not Ranked     

I'd vote on the vac secondary. Light car, mech sec and dbl pumper, you'll just shock/overpower the rear tires that much easier. You can easily tune how fast/how soon the vac secondaries come in on the Avenger series Holleys by changing the springs in the vac module. Yeah, I've used mech sec/dbl pumpers, and they have their place.

I'm building an FE stroker to 455 cu.in., and I've got both 770 & 870 Avengers, I'll try both and see which works the best on mine.

I've also gave up on the Edel carb's; they're a good carb with a stock to mild cam, but once you get into a big cam, they're much harder to tune and get right, in my opinion (for whatever its worth?!?!?) compared to a Holley/Demon/etc.

FFR#6143 Mk III: FE 462" w/four 48 IDA Weber's w/TKO 600 .82, IRS w/3.27, 17" Team III's w/245/45's & 315/35's. Gas N's.

Picked it up end of Aug '08
First start May 12, '10
First go kart May 26, '10
Tag & title 5-26-11, driving in gel coat
Painted Nov 2015

'05 Harley Wide Glide (60 hp stock, now 107 hp & 107 ft/lbs at wheel. Mid 11's in the 1/4 mi.)
'55 Bel Air hot rod project (WIP)
Old 04-03-2009, 09:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Size carb

First, get rid of that Edelbrock. Ran one for years and never could get the secondary transition right. Switched to a Holly Street Avenger 770 with vac secondaries and not only runs smooth but the power improvement over the Edelbrock was quite noticable. I have a 408W as well but probably not as heated up as yours. Hope this helps.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:14 AM
California Dreamin Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via ICQ to vanoochka Send a message via Yahoo to vanoochka Send a message via Skype™ to vanoochka
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by TINNMANN View Post
Ok right now I have a edelbrock 1411 750 cfm carb and I would assume by the above statements that to go to a holly I should use a 4779 750 cfm double pumper or a 80770 street avenger 770 cfm vaccum. Which would be suggested for street and autocross. I can't get the stumble out of the edelbrock so I am changing the carb.
Cheers Greg
I lived with that damn stumble from my Edelbrock 800 CFM for a year before it finally pushed me over the edge.

Recently replaced it on my 408W with a Holley 800 cfm double pumper and my only regret is not doing it months ago.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well it looks like a 770 street avenger will do the trick thanks for all the help!!
Cheers Greg
Old 04-03-2009, 04:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 427R-095, Pro Systems carb, 2" headers, Buckshot Racefab side pipes, 10s off idle start
Not Ranked     

Dude, don't put the street Avenger on there.

Call Pro-Systems and tell them what motor you have and get one of their double pumpers. Patrick will tune it for your zip code by current weather. You'll pick up about 20 or 30 HP over that Avenger and your power will be linear and like a light switch if you punch it.

Pro-Systems carb on car in video link below.

Last edited by greg schroeder; 04-03-2009 at 04:47 PM..