Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-27-2009, 09:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 427R, SPO2561
Not Ranked     
Default Oil Filter

In searching the forum for oil filter recommendation, I see Motorcraft FL1-HP seems to be the most popular choice. but, this is a Transmission Filter? Or did I lookup the wrong filter?

SPO2561
Roush 427R
Old 04-27-2009, 11:09 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

FL1-HP is the performance version of the standard FL1A oil filter.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #298 427 FI
Not Ranked     

I like the mobile 1 but to be honest there are a lot of really good filters out there. Most people on here change their oil quite often, well below the 5k mark for normal cars. Just stay away from the Frams. That magnet that attaches to the filter is also becoming popular.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fords
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpanten View Post
I like the mobile 1 but to be honest there are a lot of really good filters out there. Most people on here change their oil quite often, well below the 5k mark for normal cars. Just stay away from the Frams. That magnet that attaches to the filter is also becoming popular.
ck. out this thread.

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/sh.../fromsearch/1/

Z. Ray
Old 05-03-2009, 11:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

I am a huge WIX fan -- you can geek out about specs on their site.

Mobil1 filters can departiculate with the best, but i have problems finding a reliable source and stable pricing for them.

Steve
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 05-04-2009, 05:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, FRP460 Big Block
Not Ranked     

Instead of paying more money for the HP version of the Motorcraft filter, I just put (4) 1/2" rare earth magnets around the standard filter. Rare earth magnets are so strong they could pinch your fingers if you're not careful.

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'94 35th Anniversary Rover Mini Cooper 32mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg
Old 05-04-2009, 05:18 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCoop View Post
Instead of paying more money for the HP version of the Motorcraft filter, I just put (4) 1/2" rare earth magnets around the standard filter. Rare earth magnets are so strong they could pinch your fingers if you're not careful.
But the "HP" filter has a heavier case, thicker baseplate with more threads and other features that make it stronger and better than the base FL1 style. It is probably the best production filter for the money.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 05-04-2009, 05:55 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

During warm weather I use the Mobil1 filter which is rated 9 microns. During the cold months I use a Moroso racing filter which is rated 21 microns. 5W-30 synthetic all the time, I'm more of a flow guy than pressure guy.

Bob
Old 05-04-2009, 06:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Flow stays the same either way. You oil pump is a positive displacement gear pump, it could care less what the temp is, it pumps the same amount at the same rpm every single time. If the oil is thicker the pressure goes up but the volume of oil remains the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob In Ct View Post
During warm weather I use the Mobil1 filter which is rated 9 microns. During the cold months I use a Moroso racing filter which is rated 21 microns. 5W-30 synthetic all the time, I'm more of a flow guy than pressure guy.

Bob
Old 05-04-2009, 07:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

Hey MM:
My thinking is that I would prefer the oil flow through the engine not the pressure relief valve. When I got my car it was running 20W-50, the pressure was routinely in the 40 range. I changed to 5W-30 and now I run around 60PSI.

Bob
Old 05-04-2009, 12:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

That is why the motorcraft fL-1hp is what you want to use it bypasses at 22 psig where standard is 11 psig across filter. I run 65 psig cold with 10w30 and when warms usually 48 psig?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob In Ct View Post
Hey MM:
My thinking is that I would prefer the oil flow through the engine not the pressure relief valve. When I got my car it was running 20W-50, the pressure was routinely in the 40 range. I changed to 5W-30 and now I run around 60PSI.

Bob
Old 05-04-2009, 12:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

both are 20 microns
Old 05-04-2009, 03:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx View Post
Flow stays the same either way. You oil pump is a positive displacement gear pump, it could care less what the temp is, it pumps the same amount at the same rpm every single time. If the oil is thicker the pressure goes up but the volume of oil remains the same.
This is kind of true, but not exactly. In theory, a gear pump is positive displacement, but that is a relative term. Gear pumps are not 100% effecient.

There are clearances between the sides of the gears and the housing. Some oil is slipping through those gaps (both sides of the gears). Although the volume of oil that the teeth forward is constant, what slips back through the pump is not, and therefore the ouput of the pump at a given rpm will vary with pressure. Imperically I have found that the effeciency drops off by a factor of the delta pressure squared, when the suction side of the pump has adaquate head pressure to completely fill the teeth.

With an oil pump in an engine there is no head pressure, and the pump must suck the oil up out of the pan. Although I have no experiance with thiis, it would seem to me that with vacuum there could be voids or little bubbles with nothing in them. If so, then the density of the oil could vary, further reducing flow.

Imperical proof, put 50 wt oil in a modern overhead cam engine on a cold day and you will ruin the engine, because it will take too long to pump oil up to the cam. Flow is not constant regardless of pressure.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ok, so in REALITY, not Theoretical, your pump is 97% efficient. The other three percent and I seriously dounbt it is that large doesn't matter. Changing the weight of oil in my opinion, plant engineer for 16 years, you would not be able measure the difference without a micro motion meter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog View Post
This is kind of true, but not exactly. In theory, a gear pump is positive displacement, but that is a relative term. Gear pumps are not 100% effecient.

There are clearances between the sides of the gears and the housing. Some oil is slipping through those gaps (both sides of the gears). Although the volume of oil that the teeth forward is constant, what slips back through the pump is not, and therefore the ouput of the pump at a given rpm will vary with pressure. Imperically I have found that the effeciency drops off by a factor of the delta pressure squared, when the suction side of the pump has adaquate head pressure to completely fill the teeth.

With an oil pump in an engine there is no head pressure, and the pump must suck the oil up out of the pan. Although I have no experiance with thiis, it would seem to me that with vacuum there could be voids or little bubbles with nothing in them. If so, then the density of the oil could vary, further reducing flow.

Imperical proof, put 50 wt oil in a modern overhead cam engine on a cold day and you will ruin the engine, because it will take too long to pump oil up to the cam. Flow is not constant regardless of pressure.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Madmaxx you may be right about the effeciency change being negligable. I never worked with auto oil pumps. My experiance is with very large, high pressure pumps. I have seen them drop as low as 40%. It all depends on the clearances and viscosity. Smaller pumps do have less losses.

I think I made the wrong arguement. When the oil pressure in an engine reaches the limit on the prv built into the pump, the prv lifts and oil flows back into the pan or the suction side of the pump rather than through the engine. If the prv is set at 60 psi, then when the resistence to flow through the engine reaches 60 psi the flow is diverted through the prv (ususally internal to the pump). Therefore increasing viscosity of the oil will reduce flow to the bearings if the pressue reaches the prv setting. I have seen people shim the prv spring to get 100 psi on an engine that would normally only run 60 psi cold. I'm pretty sure that most engines lift the prv when cold even with light oils, as the oil pressure stays steady when you rev the engine.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I agree if the prv lifts then you will short circuit. In most auto applications I beleive the oil pump prv is set at 80 psig. Motorcraft oil filter housing is good to 250 psig. In the winter I can easily get mine up to 70 psig. Had a vet once that would hit 90 psig in the winter. The pressure in your crankbearing due to the hydraulic oil wedge is 1000's of psig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog View Post
Madmaxx you may be right about the effeciency change being negligable. I never worked with auto oil pumps. My experiance is with very large, high pressure pumps. I have seen them drop as low as 40%. It all depends on the clearances and viscosity. Smaller pumps do have less losses.

I think I made the wrong arguement. When the oil pressure in an engine reaches the limit on the prv built into the pump, the prv lifts and oil flows back into the pan or the suction side of the pump rather than through the engine. If the prv is set at 60 psi, then when the resistence to flow through the engine reaches 60 psi the flow is diverted through the prv (ususally internal to the pump). Therefore increasing viscosity of the oil will reduce flow to the bearings if the pressue reaches the prv setting. I have seen people shim the prv spring to get 100 psi on an engine that would normally only run 60 psi cold. I'm pretty sure that most engines lift the prv when cold even with light oils, as the oil pressure stays steady when you rev the engine.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm sure different engines and pumps have different prv setpoints. I know my 5.0/347 oil pressure holds steady at 60 psi at idle cold and drops to 40 psi hot. I have never seen it go above 60 psi hot or cold at any rpm. The pressure is proportional to rpm until it hits 60 psi. I would guess that the prv is higher than 60 psi since the oil pressure sending unit is a fair ways down stream of the pump, but I am fairly certain that the prv is limitting the pressure. I have ran both 10w-30w and 10w-40w. The 10w-30w was more like 50 psi at a cold idle. I have thought about going back to the lighter oil to take load off the distributor gear, but I like the heavier oil for the cast pistons.