Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2010, 11:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: looking
Not Ranked     
Lightbulb quest for cobra

Hi, I am new to the forums they look great. I am looking to buy either a completed kit car, or a partial one.

I have tons of questions for all the gurus out there. I have not driven the different kits. The ones that seem good are the backdraft,superformance,everett morrison. These are in my 40 k and under price range i would love a kirkham but a bit pricey for me.

I like a independent rear, lots of types: jag,vette,ford explorer etc, any recomendations.

Also square or round tube? 3 or 4 inch, it appears 4 inch better.

I am open to all thoughts, recommendations etc. I need to learn what to buy.

I really appreciate your comments.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #89, KCR aluminum 427 windsor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar View Post
Hi, I am new to the forums they look great. I am looking to buy either a completed kit car, or a partial one.

I have tons of questions for all the gurus out there. I have not driven the different kits. The ones that seem good are the backdraft,superformance,everett morrison. These are in my 40 k and under price range i would love a kirkham but a bit pricey for me.

I like a independent rear, lots of types: jag,vette,ford explorer etc, any recomendations.

Also square or round tube? 3 or 4 inch, it appears 4 inch better.

I am open to all thoughts, recommendations etc. I need to learn what to buy.

I really appreciate your comments.
a few random thoughts...

All of the manufacturers have their good and not-so-good points... don't rule out any particular mfr, initially.

Once you've looked at a few, you'll narrow your focus considerably as to what you're looking for.

Since you're looking to buy used, or partially furnished, be prepared to make some compromises on your shopping list, or be more flexible with your time frame and/or price range. You may not get everything you want in a certain car. I looked for 8 months before I found mine.

Unless you're going to track the car HEAVILY, I wouldn't get overly concerned on frame construction. All the major replicas have a frame that's MORE than up to the task, and probably well beyond your driving abilities. As far as suspension setup goes... you'll figure out quickly what you want after a ride or two. Like you, I wanted (and got) IRS... tho I've been in several solid axle cars that ride & handle extremely well.

Also, don't be surprised if a seller will not let you drive the car- especially if it has a very high powered engine... these cars demand a LOT of respect. You can wait til it's yours to wrap it around a tree. FYI... it was 3 days after I bought mine before I ever drove it... and it's not a big deal... you can tell quite a bit from the passenger seat.

Be prepared to lose out on a few cars before you get one in your garage... sometimes, it happens that way.

The lookin is just the START of the fun...

Good luck, and have fun...
BDR #89- KCR aluminum 427 windsor, TKO-600
Old 05-07-2010, 01:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FRR MKIII 408w
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Check out ffrcobra.com have seen several cobras for sale.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

oscar welcome to CC.......
best thing you can do for yourself is
RESEARCH and lots of it.......
Slick made some good points.....
take your time and stick as close to your
budget as you can....i guarantee you will go over....
i commend you for looking at unfinished cars they
may be your best bet for a good deal and be prepaired
to do some fab. work if you go that direction or plan
on spending time looking for parts that have been misplaced
from the original kit.......good luck on your search........
Old 05-07-2010, 03:33 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Cool

Plenty of cobras for sale at 40K and under, some finished, others still under construction. Do a little research on each kit you want to look at, then if you are still unsure of which kit or car to get, come back here and ask questions. If you get a chance to look at a car in person and you are not 100% sure of what you are looking at, see if there is a local cobra club around and ask if someone can go to look at the car with you. Two sets of eyes are better than one. If searching the web for a car, read the FAQ here on "How to buy a used Cobra" (CLICK HERE to go to that topic). Seeing you are in California, make sure that the car you ultimately buy is legally titled in the state of the seller, no matter what the year is on the title, California will not accept it as a "vintage" car. Most of all, enjoy the hunt, sometimes that is half the fun.

Yours In Fords,

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 05-07-2010, 03:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3542K, 347 C. I., EFI, T-5, Miata Front Sway Bar, 3 Link, Red with White Stripes
Not Ranked     

Welcome to the madness! Hook up with the local club and you can find folks that will help you as you narrow your search. If the car is out of state, post up and maybe someone can check it out for you. Learn about titling in your state before you buy. Your locals can help with that too.
FFR3542K, 347, Holley Sniper EFI, T-5, 4 Wheel Discs, 3-Link, Miata Front Sway Bar, Red with White Stripes
Old 05-07-2010, 04:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Motors, 351W, Richmond T-10 4 speed,
Not Ranked     

Welcome Oscar, fun in the sun starts here.

Wealth of info here, I did the same thing and kinda sat back for a while and eavesdropped on conversations then went out looking a Cobras listed locally on Craigslist till I found a car that I felt addressed my requirements and was a excellent build. There were (and are) lot's of great rides for sale here but you need to be able to take a look first hand and if it's too far away it's too far.

I know we've got people in Bakersfield that you can hook up with. Also maybe even find out about local events or car shows. It's good to go to those and kick tires... JUST A FIGURE OF SPEECH!
Old 07-31-2010, 03:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five MK1 EFI 302 tremec 5 speed 355 gears
Not Ranked     
Default In Calif its all about SB100

That is the part of getting the car registered so it is SMOG exempt.

There are several places that can give you the run down on all the steps to get this done unless you are lucky enough to get a car already registered under SB100.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B cobra (sold), Hurricane HMS1002 (sold), Kirkham 289 FIA, (sold) RCR GT 40(sold) SPF GT40 2122(sold) Hurricane HMS2002, (sold) RCR SLC (sold) GTR on the way!
Not Ranked     

Oscar, welcome to the madness! Tell us a little about what you like in a cobra. Do you like a hot rod or the original look? Do you want to build it or buy a roller? Is it a street car or a track car? Do you cruise or is it a car show cobra? Fill us in on what you want.

Last edited by dlampe; 07-31-2010 at 05:05 PM..
Old 07-31-2010, 04:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default B&B cobra

I would like to ask you to take a look at B&B please go to www.bandbroadster.com we offer a complete car painted any color, interior installed, all new tubular front suspension with QA1 coil over shocks narrowed 9" ford rear also with adjustable coil over shocks and tubular rear trailing arms, original style wheels, custom headers and side pipes everything done just add your engine and trans 25,495 or we offer the same package less paint and interior but the car is still all assembled 17,995 with over 30 years in the business we can set the car up any way you like.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B cobra (sold), Hurricane HMS1002 (sold), Kirkham 289 FIA, (sold) RCR GT 40(sold) SPF GT40 2122(sold) Hurricane HMS2002, (sold) RCR SLC (sold) GTR on the way!
Not Ranked     

I would suggest talking to a few guys who have had multiple cobras. Find out the good and the bad. All of the manufacturers will promise you a great car and good service. That's not always the case. There are many that will but send some e-mails and PM's to guys who have owned or own the cars you are considering. I would be happy to answer questions about the cars and companies I have the opportunity to own and drive. Send me a note if I can help in your search.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B & B, mild 302 & T-5
Not Ranked     

Hi Oscar, welcome to the Cobra frenzy, it'll likely drive you nuts if you let it! I can only add what I've experienced myself, and am very happy with the decision made. Looked for a couple years at E-Bay, other used Cobra ad sites, ck'd all the manufactures web sites, compared, scanned ClubCobra, all the usual stuff. In the end I decided to buy a "turn-key" from B & B in Granby, Mo., and have been extremely happy with the experience. Why a turn-key? Simply age, didn't want to spend any time in the garage building something I should be out driving. Had thought of getting a used Cobra, then make any mod's necessary to have the car I really wanted. Talked with the folks at B & B, and they made such a great deal, I couldn't turn it down. Got a new, full turn-key Cobra w/ a fiberglass top, mild 302, T5, etc. and it's been one of the best decisions I've made in years! Surely didn't want a race machine, but more a driver that would be fun to drive all the time, and I did just that, put on over 10K miles the first year! The folks at B & B were nice enough to allow me to stop by frequently to take pic's, so in the end I ended up having a very nice build book full of construction pic's. The car has been fabulous, beyond any expectations, near zero problems too. In the first couple thousand miles had a bad ignition module and a bad voltage regulator and that's all, both covered by B & B immediately. The past two years have been flawless, zero problems, runs great, fun to drive, decent mileage (around 18 in town), couldn't be happier. You owe it to yourself to at least look at their stuff, in my experience a quality product from folks that know Cobras, will build it any "flavor" you like, and build a darn good product. I couldn't be more pleased with mine!

Good luck on your quest, keep all of us on the site posted of your decision.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     

Here is a real nice finished Hurricane that has aluminum hood, doors and truck. I think it is close to your price range and something to consider.

http://www.clubcobra.com/classifieds...uct=2647&cat=2
Old 08-01-2010, 08:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Oscar,
Here are a few more thoughts to add to what's already been said. First, know that some cars like the Superformance are mostly factory assembled, so there is a degree of consistency in their build quality. Other like the Everett-Morrison are individually assembled, so each car reflects the preferences, experience and skill of its builder. Some individually built cars are great and some are not even safe. Unless you know a lot about car construction, have someone you trust inspect the car before you buy it.

Your preference for a 4" round tube frame with IRS makes it sound like you are leaning toward an Everett-Morrison, perhaps with a Corvette suspension. I've been very happy with mine, but understand that this combo limits your wheel choices. You won't be able to get the traditional deep dish look with this. I mention this to reinforce what was said in some of the earlier posts. The first thing you need to decide is what you are going to do with your Cobra. Is your priority authentic looks, car show trophies, easy cruising, occasional trips to the drags or the race track, good gas mileage, or really big horsepower numbers you can put behind your signature when you post on the forum? Once you decide why you want the car, it will be easier to suggest a particular car for you to consider. Good luck with the search.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 08-01-2010, 09:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I don't know what Oscar ever did about finding a Cobra, we've not heard back for quite awhile, but here are some of my thoughts for anyone looking for their first Cobra. Perhaps they will stumble across this thread in their search down the road...

I'd stay focused on the exterior looks first, get that right and go from there. Rather than worry about the frame or under the hood, etc, things that are not readily apparent. Now, as you become more familiar with the history and perhaps come to appreciate it more then under the hood and such becomes more of a concern, but for starters....

Things I like to see:
A proper dash, with proper gauges. Black and white, leaning toward a period correct look. Wheels, that makes or breaks a Cobra, perhaps one of the most important considerations. While I prefer a 15" size, a 16 or 17 can still look reasonable IF the wheel design is basically period correct or close to it. Back to the dash, interior. While some folks like the look of wood, or crushed velvet interior, go conservative here. Some originals had a bright red interior, most did not, chose wisely. Stay within reasonable bounds, classic dash, carpet, seats say so much about the car. Glaring and outspoken paint jobs are interesting, but they are also controversial and almost certainly will have a negative impact on re-sale value. Bright orange, yellow look terrific when done right. I like a nice green myself, but reality check is it's generally not the best choice for re-sale. Again, stick with classic colors unless the car and the price are exceptional. Blue, red, black with various stripes or none, all look good and appeal to the wider range of potential buyers down the road.

Nothing wrong with a 5 speed trans vs the classic top loader, BUT, do go with a classic shifter and consider a 4 speed shift knob on top of the 5 speed stick shift. You don't need to flaunt the fact it has a 5 speed, keep it on the down low. Fact is, a five speed could enhance re-sale value, but is not the best choice when it comes to "period correct".

Body shape/style. Keep it as close to "real" as you can. While some of the long wheel base cars offer more room, perhaps more comfort, after awhile you WILL begin to notice the difference in the "look" and it may well start to "eat on you". In the regard, be careful about what you are willing to sacrafice to get the car you really want. Because those "little things" you gave up to get a better price can really work negatively on your psyche as the months and years go by. The list of "I shoulda, coulda have done or bought,,," can be quite disconcerting in time. Maybe you really don't like the color, the type of engine, the body style, the wheels, the interior, that will haunt you in time.

Last edited by Excaliber; 08-01-2010 at 09:45 AM..