Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Standard Transmission and Gear speak with Jimi Guthrie

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-14-2006, 03:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters; 351w, Crane Cam, AFR 185's
Not Ranked     

ttt .
Old 11-14-2006, 07:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Excaliber body, Modified Custom frame
Not Ranked     

Jimi, What is a MK6 type of T5 from borg Warner?

"Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country" JFK
Old 11-15-2006, 07:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Classic Jaguar can help you out, they are special T5's, there number is 512-288-8800. jimig@standardtransmission.com
Old 02-05-2007, 05:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: F5 SP-2
Not Ranked     

Jimi G,
Looking for help on TKO600 into FFR Challenge frame. Need to know how much I can trimm off of the underside of the rear tailhousing (to clear the tube frame) without compromising the housing integrity.
Any thoughts?
Thanks.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54h
Jimi G,
Looking for help on TKO600 into FFR Challenge frame. Need to know how much I can trimm off of the underside of the rear tailhousing (to clear the tube frame) without compromising the housing integrity.
Any thoughts?
Thanks.
I would leave about a 1/4" of the tailhousing flange to be on the safe side. jimig@standardtransmission.com
Old 03-11-2007, 08:31 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 408W, TKO 600, 9" 4-link Truetrac, 13" X 1 3/8" curved vane frt disks
Not Ranked     

Jimi,

I suddenly have a tremendous amount of slop in my shift handle after engaging into gear on my TKO 600. The shift handle can be moved almost back to the center of the pattern, and still be engaged. Have I broken some sort of retention device? Is it in the top part of the housing, so that I can repair it without pulling the tranny out of the car?
Old 03-11-2007, 01:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: west Coast Cobra FRP 460, Tremec 5 sp, Ford 9" rear
Not Ranked     

hi Jimi
I have read that some tremecs don't shift all that smooth. Is this true from your or any other readers opinions ? What are the smoothest shifting 5 and 6 speeds out there for a 500+ hp cobra ?
Thanks
Old 03-12-2007, 10:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveR
Jimi,

I suddenly have a tremendous amount of slop in my shift handle after engaging into gear on my TKO 600. The shift handle can be moved almost back to the center of the pattern, and still be engaged. Have I broken some sort of retention device? Is it in the top part of the housing, so that I can repair it without pulling the tranny out of the car?
Dave,

The first thing I would check is that your shifter stick is bolted to the shift top tightly. I have never seen a sloppy shift top on a TKO600, but there is always a first time for everything. If the shift stick is bolted securely to the top than there is something wrong internally in your shift top. As for being able to work on it without having to drop the tranny, as long as the opening in the top tunnel opening is large enough to allow the shift top to come out you can do it without dropping the tranny. jimig@standardtransmission.com
Old 03-12-2007, 10:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garage10
hi Jimi
I have read that some tremecs don't shift all that smooth. Is this true from your or any other readers opinions ? What are the smoothest shifting 5 and 6 speeds out there for a 500+ hp cobra ?
Thanks
The T56 6 speed is a smooth shifting transmission, but I would recommend going with a TKO600 with a aftermarket shift top. The aftermarket shift top will make a world of difference, it will make the shift pattern shorter and very smooth. There are several companies offering shift tops, one of my favorites is the Steeda Tri-Ax. T5 transmissions are very smooth also but in order for them to take the power you will have it would take alot of upgrades which will bring the overall price above a TKO600. jimig@standardtransmission.com
Old 03-22-2007, 05:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Jimi, This enquiry from across the pond in Australia. Here's my problem.

I own a TKO 600 (model 4617, Ford) which was behind a Windsor. It has the standard (unshortened) input shaft.

Sadly in Australia the authorities are tough on emissions which forces many of us to use the GM Ls engines.

Is there a way the TK600 (model 4617) be fitted behind a GM Ls series engine?.

Is it feasable to replace the 4617 input shaft and machine the bearing retainer and end up with a 4618 GM version of the TK600?. I do understand the gearcase bolt pattern would still be ford.

If the above is possible is there a bellhousing available to fit this trans behind the GM Ls engine?. If so, is there enough meat on that bellhousing to redrill for the ford bolt pattern?

If all the above is good how much is that bellhousing with shipping to Australia?.

Cheers and thanks in advance
Old 03-22-2007, 10:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Tko 600

Exactly how good is the TKO 600?? Give me the dos and don'ts. What is the best oil to run in the 600??
Thanks
Old 03-22-2007, 11:36 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I think the general consensus is that it's a very good transmission that occasionally may weep a little oil. I like my TKO600 a lot, but it weeps a little oil and that drives me nuts. I believe GM Synchromesh oil is recommended. I forget the weight.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I only use Amsoil Synchromesh synthetic fluid in our units, we have gotten the best life out of it and it protects the gears and bearings much better than ATF. I feel that, for the money, there is not a better transmission on the market. jimig@standardtransmission.com
Old 03-22-2007, 03:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: factory five mkIII roadster 445 fe quick fuel 750 q series,irs
Not Ranked     

jimi g i have a tremec 3550 trans in my ffr cobra with a 342 engine, would this tranny hold up behind a 427 fe if i switch the input shaft to the 26 spline?
any info would be appreciated.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Neutral     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi G
I only use Amsoil Synchromesh synthetic fluid in our units, we have gotten the best life out of it and it protects the gears and bearings much better than ATF. I feel that, for the money, there is not a better transmission on the market. jimig@standardtransmission.com
This is from a major Tremec dealer/supplier. Your comments?????

1. Put 3qt of good quality ATF (Auto Transmission Fluid) (Dexron) into the transmission. Pour in through shifter mount, or through one of the top plates. You can use the fill plug on the side of the transmission also (afterall, that's what it's for!). It's just easier to pour it in from the top if you can.
2. Put car on jacks, run the transmission up and down through all gears repeatedly for 15 minutes. This will allow the gears to break in properly (yes, with the engine running)
3. After 500-700 miles, drain the ATF, and put in 3qt of the GM Synchromesh fluid, the part number is 12345349. If it's a race car only, then switch to the GM Synchromesh after the initial break-in.
Don't use synthetic lube for 6000-8000 miles. In fact, we don't recommend synthetic, just stick with the GM Synchromesh
Old 03-23-2007, 07:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench87
jimi g i have a tremec 3550 trans in my ffr cobra with a 342 engine, would this tranny hold up behind a 427 fe if i switch the input shaft to the 26 spline?
any info would be appreciated.
I believe it would be ok, as long as you didn't throw too much power at it. You can also upgrade it to a TKO500 or TKO600 if it does break. As for the input shaft change, I wouldn't worry about it, the 10 spline input is strong enough. jimig@standardtransmission.com
Old 03-23-2007, 07:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd
This is from a major Tremec dealer/supplier. Your comments?????

1. Put 3qt of good quality ATF (Auto Transmission Fluid) (Dexron) into the transmission. Pour in through shifter mount, or through one of the top plates. You can use the fill plug on the side of the transmission also (afterall, that's what it's for!). It's just easier to pour it in from the top if you can.
2. Put car on jacks, run the transmission up and down through all gears repeatedly for 15 minutes. This will allow the gears to break in properly (yes, with the engine running)
3. After 500-700 miles, drain the ATF, and put in 3qt of the GM Synchromesh fluid, the part number is 12345349. If it's a race car only, then switch to the GM Synchromesh after the initial break-in.
Don't use synthetic lube for 6000-8000 miles. In fact, we don't recommend synthetic, just stick with the GM Synchromesh
I am also a Elite distributor for Tremec transmissions, and we have just had better luck with Amsoil synchromesh, it lasts longer and protects better. jimig@standardtransmission.com
Old 03-23-2007, 08:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Several years ago, when I purchased my TKO600 from Keisler Engineering in Knoxville, TN, I think they're an elite distributor as well, they said that I must use the GM Synchromesh or my warranty would be void.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #259
Not Ranked     

Jimi

I took apart a Steeda Shifting assembly and was not impressed with the way it was made.....

The springs were smaller and not as strong as the springs in the shifter that comes with the TKO 600.....

Our issue was when we downshift from 5th to 4th at speed on a track.... you could not feel the detents and weren't sure you were pulling it back into 4th gear....... very dangerous.....

Also I didn't see any advantage to the stop bolts on the top of the shift housing.......

Running 24Hr endurance races has taught us how to be very delicate with the transmission...... but we believe the shifting assemble that comes on the TKO 600 is about as good as you are going to get.....

BTW we are using a straight shifter arm that is only about 6"or 7"inches long and turned the housing 180*degrees to move the shifter closer to the dash to make a natural shifting position.... just some thoughts......

Morris
Old 08-15-2015, 06:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DE Type Cobra Ford Windsor 302, 5lt fuel injected. Ford front and rear. 9" lsd.
Not Ranked     
Default Whirring noise from just behind the shifter

Hi Jimi,
I am getting a strange whirring noise from behind the gear shifter, it only happens when moving along. I have a Tremec T5 5 speed manual.
Do you know what may be causing this and how to remedy.
Any help would be very much appreciated.
Thank you Damo.