Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Standard Transmission and Gear speak with Jimi Guthrie

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-25-2007, 09:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2293, Roush 427R-228
Not Ranked     
Default seeking advice on shifter upgrade

For a TKO600 w/.82 OD. This is in a Superformance with a Roush 427R windsor stroker.

Basically I can't hit the 2-3 shift under full acceleration to save my life on this tranny. I swapped out the traditional looking reverse lockout shifter for a Jordan shift lever and it's a little better, but I think I need to install a new shifter.

I'm looking at either the Pro 50, or the Steeda Tri-Ax unit. I had a Pro 50 on an a very early TKO in a blown mustang 5.0 and was happy with it, but I've also heard good things about the steeda unit.

Any opinions one way or the other? Jimi does Standard sell either unit? If I'm taking your advice I'd like to give you the business, only seems right

Thanks,

Daryl
Old 05-25-2007, 11:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1436 514
Not Ranked     

I had the same problem. Replaced the shift tower to the Pro, and the shift lever to the Jordan. It seems alot better.
Scott
Old 05-25-2007, 11:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

My son had the exact same problem with his T56 in his Cobra Mustang. We put a Hurst shifter in it and now the 2 > 3 shift is a breeze. Plus 30% shorter throws overall.

________
Old 05-25-2007, 12:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Just curious. Can you access/install a shifter kit from inside the car or do you need to drop the trans?
Old 05-25-2007, 12:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

On most cars, you do it right from the inside. 4 Bolts, . . . Piece of cake!

________
Old 05-25-2007, 01:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1436 514
Not Ranked     

On my SPF, I had to take the new Pro 5.0 shift tower apart, loosen the rear trans mount bolts so I could move the trans to the side a bit. It was a bit of a chore.
Scott
Old 05-25-2007, 02:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

In my opinion the Steeda Tri Ax shift top is one of the best on the market. As it was stated above it gives you a 30% shorter throw and a more positive shift feel from 2nd to 3rd. I am in the process of bring in a line of aftermarket shift tops I just have to cut through all the red tape first. jimig@standardtransmission.com
Old 09-11-2013, 04:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF
Not Ranked     
Default shifter upgrade

ok.. used the search function and came up with this older thread.

Looking at doing the same upgrade for the same reasons in my SPF.

Anyone care to chime in with likes? Dislikes? Success with any particular product?

Thanks!
B
Old 09-11-2013, 05:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

The advise given to me by a prominent engine builder and parts supplier was go with a Steeda Tri-AX if matched to a TKO600.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default tranny badge

tranny id
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2013, 07:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

The shifting problem is internal to the TKO500/600 transmissions. Liberty offers a shift kit that requires a little effort to install but is definitely doable at home (you do need to get the trans out of the car and apart).

If you are squeamish about the inside work on the trans, Liberty will install it for a fee. They call it an internal shift linkage upgrade. While you are at it get the carbon fiber faced synchro rings, bronze shift fork pads, and threaded front cluster bearing support to compete the package. You'll be glad you did.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

MGW shifter. Hands down the best you can buy.
Texasdoc likes this.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:25 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

Ed is right.
My next TKO will be through Liberty Gears.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

.. so i m confused..
will updating the shifter not help the tranny?
Old 09-11-2013, 08:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blown871 View Post
.. so i m confused..
will updating the shifter not help the tranny?
The Tri-Ax will help reduce mis-shifts from 2nd to 3rd. I didn't like the transmission at all when I first got the car. it seemed quirky and hard to shift. After years of driving the car, the shifts seem effortless.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 09-12-2013, 06:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Mk III / Windsor platform
Not Ranked     

I have had a TKO 500 and 2 TKO 600 .82s in my 427R SPF. My experience is that a shifter will not fix a TKO. I am using a Pro5 with a Jordan arm and I think it is as good as it's going to get...which isn't great. The 2/3 shift at 6000+ rpm is not reliable in my car. I have just bought a new, modified 600 from these folks: WELCOME TO LIBERTYS HIGH PERFORMANCE. The car is in Dennis Olthoff's shop for some major work and will have the new transmission installed when I get it back in about a month. I will post my impressions after I have put a few miles on it. I am guardedly hopeful.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fordstroker 408w custom solid roller-Craft ported Brodix 17*heads-CFM ported Vic Jr. intake-1 3/4 primaries- 575hp-TKO-600RR Liberty upgrade- -Moser 8.8 trutrac-McLeod Street Extreme--QA-1-Wilwood brakes, Classic Chambered 3" Cobrapacks, Avon's
Not Ranked     

I have the Tri-Ax and really like the strong 2nd 3rd lockout. The stops are well constructed.
I have the 3550 Tremec and don't miss any shifts. I will say it's harder to hit the power shift with the wheels spinning. I have heard (and read it on this and other forums), the Tremec likes the GM syncromesh fluid and it helps with the shifts.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Blocker rings are the answer for missing gears. Here is an excerpt that explains and a link to the entire article:

According to Hanlon, the blocker rings are essentially the same basic design from the '60s-era Top Loader transmissions. The Hanlon Motorsport friction-lined rings were designed out of necessity. "As the horsepower and torque has increased dramatically, the transmissions need to be stronger and include heavier gears to withstand the power. The heavier gears have more inertia, so it's harder to slow down those bigger and heavier gears. The lined rings slow the gears down quicker to allow them to engage easier."

Read more: Hanlon Motorsports Tremec TKO-600 Transmission - Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords

I just bought a TKO 600 from Bob Hanlon (he's in Elverson, PA just NW of Philly). Nice guy to deal with and obviously knows his stuff. I have his phone number and address if anyone is interested. He said he and Liberty get the blocker rings from the same source, so they are the same - just a matter of where you want to get them.

Regards,

Kevin
Old 09-13-2013, 05:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Long Live the Bow tie Contemporary #102 427 Chevy .30 over Merlin heads 11to1, TBI injection
Not Ranked     

Just go Hurst and call it a day.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPF1061 View Post
I have had a TKO 500 and 2 TKO 600 .82s in my 427R SPF. My experience is that a shifter will not fix a TKO. I am using a Pro5 with a Jordan arm and I think it is as good as it's going to get...which isn't great. The 2/3 shift at 6000+ rpm is not reliable in my car. I have just bought a new, modified 600 from these folks: WELCOME TO LIBERTYS HIGH PERFORMANCE. The car is in Dennis Olthoff's shop for some major work and will have the new transmission installed when I get it back in about a month. I will post my impressions after I have put a few miles on it. I am guardedly hopeful.

My prediction is that you are going to be very happy with the Liberty version of your TKO 600. If you did the upgrade and removed the old pieces, compared them to the Liberty replacements and how they worked / were timed, you would have no doubt in your mind about where the problem lies.

This is a Tremec issue yet again and right on par with their third gear mainshaft / countershaft misalignment that precipitates the premature third gear failures. Good shifters can mask the 2 - 3 shifting problem somewhat but they can not correct the bad internal design of the shifter rails. Liberty's upgrade does!

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: