Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-20-2009, 12:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     
Default Suspension update....

.....was just in time.

I just started changing out the original AVO shocks, springs and rear upper shock mounts and they were starting to fail on the left rear. I have not disassembled the right rear yet.

The lower bolt on the shock mounting bracket had flattened the threads where they are subjected to the shear load. The lower eye on the shock was elongated to the point that the shock was resting on the lower a-frame and it the eye was starting to crack.

I pulled the rear suspension apart last year about this same time to inspect it, as I was aware of both issues with the original parts. Everything was fine at that time so I decided to just let it go. Bad decision on my part, and I'm just glad that it did not fail on me at speed. I should mention that I put approximately 6500 miles on the car last year.

I'm planning on a 3 week vacation next summer that will take us from Seattle to Lake Tahoe where we will spend a week. After that we head to the coast and take the next two weeks to get home. Sure glad I will now be able to make this trip without being concerned about this issue.

So if you have not made this update to your car, I suggest you do. You may, or may not see the failure starting with a simple inspection. You need to disassemble it to see it.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1358 Silver/Black stripes 466 2X4
Not Ranked     

John

Did you replace the shock brackets and hardware with the new replacements from Performance Unlimited ??
Old 12-20-2009, 03:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Aprile View Post
John

Did you replace the shock brackets and hardware with the new replacements from Performance Unlimited ??
Yep. That is where the bolt was starting to fail in the thread area.

And the quality of the mounts is first rate.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:37 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default Pics

John, when my ERA broke down the last couple of times I took scary pictures of the offending parts hanging down and posted them. That's about the only way to get some people to go out and check their car. Otherwise, they have the "that won't happen to me" attitude.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Just thought I'd provide the link for the shock bracket upgrade.

http://superformance.org/bulletins/S...-080718tsb.pdf

Critical upgrade for cars up to chassis number 1670.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 12-20-2009, 05:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 65' SPF (511 CID) FE 427 Alum Block Shelby /Roush 600hp-625fpt sideoiler
Not Ranked     

Guys,

I did the replacement right away. The new mounts are worth it in my eyes. Pretty easy to do. It does take a little persuasion with the bolts. Once they are in you'll understand the up grade then.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

+1 on the upgraded mounts - I replaced mine in July 2008 and glad I did!!!
Old 12-20-2009, 08:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 460 SVO
Not Ranked     

If you have the original AVO shocks, check the bushings, many are deformed and start to crack the bottom of the shocks.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:55 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calbullet View Post
If you have the original AVO shocks, check the bushings, many are deformed and start to crack the bottom of the shocks.
That is what was happening to mine.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:23 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
John, when my ERA broke down the last couple of times I took scary pictures of the offending parts hanging down and posted them. That's about the only way to get some people to go out and check their car. Otherwise, they have the "that won't happen to me" attitude.
Good idea Patrick. I will take some pictures over the weekend and post them.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:27 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Okay, here are some pictures of what I found.

First off, here are the new QA-1 shocks and springs.

Here are the original AVO's in the car.

The new R/T upper rear shock mount in place.

Here is the lower A-Frame where it is worn from the shock

This is the shock that was causing the wear.

And this is the reason that it was hitting. The bolt for the shock was not in the center of the eye.

Then last, but not least we have the bolt issue on the stock upper mount.

As I stated in my original post, I'm sure glad I made this update when I did. I'm sure it would have failed sometime in 2010.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:34 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

When I bought my SPF six years ago, the first thing I did was join SCOF. Then I figured out what things I needed to look at on the car.
Those upper shock tower bracket bolts were the FIRST things that I changed (bought the correct shouldered ones from Aircraft Spruce).
Installed the R/T brackets last year and those replacement bolts still looked like new.
No more worries back there now with the beefy R/T brackets...an excellent upgrade for any SPF owner and great insurance.

Let us know how the new shocks behave. Did you source those from Performance Unlimited?
I'm currently running factory Bilsteins from car #21xx and always looking for something better.

Thanks,

-Dean #747
Old 12-29-2009, 08:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hello Dean,

Yes, the shocks and springs came from Performance Unlimited. Got the rears installed, and I just went out and turned on the heat in the garage and will try to get the fronts installed today.

I'm also on the waiting list for their GTP sway bar kit. Really looking forward to that upgrade also.

I will let you know what I think when I get a chance to drive it. Supposed to start raining here later today, so it may be a while.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:54 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Hi John and thanks. I'm really interested in the adjustability and ride height you can achieve. I have my fronts all the way down and would still like to drop the front another 1/4".
The backs are just right, but I wouldn't mind getting a slightly softer ride out of all four (and have the ability to dial-in stiffness when I want to).

Appreciate your efforts and look forward to reading the results. I'm getting ready to pull my wheels and install the braided brake lines.

-Dean
Old 12-29-2009, 10:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Excellent post and photos I have seen a failure with harsh and near tragic consequences on the left rear shock mount. The bolt length is as you point out a major concern but of even more concern is that the original mount had 2 bolts where the upgrade has 4. I think a bolt on shock mount is crazy anyway. Where do you ever see a design like that?!
Old 12-29-2009, 10:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2689 Roush 427R TKO 600
Not Ranked     

The new suspension parts are great, 2689 has the rear mounts and QA-1 adjustable shocks and the new sway bars with all the little extras, missing links etc. They are not for adjusting ride hight but for firmer/softer suspension. If you track you can dial them up, or cruise make them softer. I have the 350# springs, and planning on up dating to 450# for track/street. They worked great at RPM Track Hastings Nebraska and VIR in Virginia. The 350's are a little light for the track, but was able to dial the shocks up to compensate for it. Work great on the street, great ride.

WildBill
Old 12-29-2009, 11:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just for the record I went with the 400 LB/IN springs.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2689 Roush 427R TKO 600
Not Ranked     

John,
You won't be disapointed, I'm going with the 450# a little firmer ride and better for the ocasional track.

Bill
Old 02-13-2010, 12:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, FRP460 Big Block
Not Ranked     

Good thread here, guys.

I have the adjustable QA1s and noticed rattling the beginning of last season. What I found was that the hardware used to mount the shocks were metric, as were the holes in the shock mounts. The roller must have come with AVOs and since the car is made in SA, most if not all hardware is metric. Upon assembly, many upgrades were specified by the original owner (I'm 2nd), including shocks and various powerplant options. The QA1s are american so the inserts in the bushings are std. The assembler must have used the original hardware kits (I'm not naming names). Go figure. I had to drill out the mounting holes and use std. bolts (a good time to upgrade to hardened bolts and correct length) so the threads cleared the holes. Just something to look out for. The rubber bushings in the shocks were elongated from the little slop that was occurring. The rubber bushing and inserts can be purchased from QA1 direct or from Jegs, etc. I also opted to replace the springs with progressives from Carerra. It makes for a very soft, comfortable ride at cruise and then hardens up when you hook up on acceleration or in hard cornering situations or track days. The dampening knob is set at 4th click. I can dig up the part #s if anyone's interested...

(pic)The offending shock mount bushing and brackets.
12mm bolts into 1/2" bushing sleeves=slop and rattles. So I had to drill out the bracket holes and replace the bolts with the proper 1/2" hardened bolts.

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'94 35th Anniversary Rover Mini Cooper 32mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg