Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-31-2009, 09:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     
Cool What Fixes Were Required on Your New SPF?

I'm evaluating the purchase of a factory new Superformance. I've heard new SPF Cobras have small maintenance items after delivery. What are these little fixes? Could you list what you did and how much it cost? I don't mean upgrades, just the little things that maybe should have been done right at the factory. I can see some items being drive train related and not of the factory's doing. It would be helpful to list your SPF#, what you did and how much it cost.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:51 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

The only SPF related issues that I had with my car was that the clutch master reservoir kept leaking. SPF sent me a new one under warranty and the issue was resolved.

Most cars (regardless of the manufacturer) are going to have some teething issues. I'm not sure if listing out every minor issue that people have had is going help you in your decision to buy. My guess is that a multitude of issues will be listed that aren't the norm and may or not be in SPFs control (i.e. broken gauges).

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 12-31-2009, 10:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Spf Shelby alu block
Not Ranked     

I had a blinker issue but it was quickly resolved at no cost with the help from everyone on the forum.
The SPF owner on this forum are like having a tech department in your back yard. A car is only as good as its tech deptartment behind it. Glad I purchased a SPF.

SPO 2551 Lyle
Old 12-31-2009, 10:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     

I would venture a guess that MOST issues on a new SPF are directly related to the dealer prep or the installers work. The term "maintenance issues" while vague implies that there are issues from the manufacturer. While there is NO company that have 0 issues, it is important to remember that the cars are shipped on a pallet and then"assembled" to a roller by the dealer and then completed with an engine/trans by an installer. My experience is that the last 2 in that chain are more likely the cause of "maintenance" issues. I go through every vehicle I get and verify, currently I am inspecting my new Can Am Spyder, as a Service manager in bike shops for over 30 years I can tell you there is NOTHING that is perfect. Even from the japanese, who make some great stuff.
The dealer we got our cars from is no longer under the same ownership, but I had no complaints what so ever. The Coupe blew out a pressure regulator diaghragm with in a week or so and they sent one right off, not just a replacement diaghragm..but a complete unit. It was chromed instead of the rough cast that comes from the factory. Now that wasn't even an SPF part, it was a Holley piece and they( the dealer) replaced it with no questions asked. I would treat it like any new high performance vehicle and have everything checked, be sure that the installer does an alignment as well since it can't be aligned until the install.
Our Coupe # is C037, one of the first personal coupes on the road in 2003. MKIII is 1726. still no install, but I have been all over it and haven't found anything I have concerns about. The 428 goes in this year. It takes a lot of time to build an engine in the middle of building customers' stuff. That's the reason I went with a FRPP crate engine in the Coupe.

Last edited by Woodz428; 12-31-2009 at 10:41 AM..
Old 12-31-2009, 10:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Auto Restoration and Service
Not Ranked     

Most good SPF installers have already figured out the "finer points" that need to be addressed during the install. Every installer is different however. Some use better parts than others (mounts, fittings, hoses, wiring, etc). Example; rubber engine mounts might damage the body around the sidepipe exit over time, poly mounts usually do not. This is only one example of many that can cause dissatisfaction to a new SPF (or any other manuf) owner. In the years we have been doing this, there have only been a small handfull of issues that concerned the factory, and all were resolved by the time the car was delivered.

WDZ, you beat me to the punch.

Last edited by VintageUpgrades; 12-31-2009 at 10:39 AM.. Reason: timing
Old 12-31-2009, 11:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

A good Dealer and Installer are key to your success.

There can be issues with any custom crafted automobile and everyone can have supply chain issues that are hard to iron out.

If you are familiar with running a classic car , or complete restoration work then these items will not be a surprise.

There can be little things that are sub optimal, but the overall experience is a great one.

Dont let the small stuff stop you from having a good time.

Steve
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 12-31-2009, 11:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Woodz -- what FRPP engine went in your coupe >?
Old 12-31-2009, 11:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf 2489 kc 427
Not Ranked     

spf 2489, the only factory issue was the fuel tank sending unit gasket leaked after I filled the tank up to the cap for winter. The car was 2 yrs old.
Got gas on the top of the tank and on the floor. There is an access panel in the trunk, so it was an easy fix.
Once again the Club Cobra gang came through with the diagnosis and the fix.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Maybe I misunderstood what I had heard earlier and that was there are several little "bugs", "fixes" or minor assembly issues from the factory that are easy to fix, but could be time consuming. I had heard that there was a slight advantages to buying a used Cobra since these little items would be taken care of. I'm surprised to learn: "it is important to remember that the cars are shipped on a pallet and then "assembled" to a roller by the dealer". I can easily see where if there are little issues with a car, they are due to post factory assembly. Thanks for your comments. They are a big help!
Old 12-31-2009, 01:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Maybe it was me that lead you astray Ward. Sorry.

These cars are like any new car, and I don't care what manufacturer, or country it was built in, there will be little things to address. To me that's part of the fun of owning the car. It allows me to relax and get my mind off of work.

And for the most part, these cars are race cars with license plates. That means they take a higher level of care than your Lexus/Infiniti/Cadillac/etc... You need to be prepared for that, regardless of whether you buy a new or used car. One advantage to a new car is you will get exactly what you want, unless you happen to find the dream car you want for sale.

Good luck on your search.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by WardL View Post
I'm evaluating the purchase of a factory new Superformance. I've heard new SPF Cobras have small maintenance items after delivery. What are these little fixes?
I bought my Superformance used a little over three years ago. It had about 12,000 miles on it. About 18,000 miles now.

It has been bulletproof. I am a maintenance nut - I take care of my cars well. If you treat these things well they are very reliable. Much better than I had a right to expect. Like others said, if you buy new make sure the installer has a good reputation. Olthoff in North Carolina did mine. I recommend them highly.

Lots of good manufacturers out there today. If you go with Superformance you will be very happy.

Jack
Old 12-31-2009, 03:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sounds like the little issues that come up are well within my ability to fix with the great help of you guys. Thanks.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:44 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by WardL View Post
I'm surprised to learn: "it is important to remember that the cars are shipped on a pallet and then "assembled" to a roller by the dealer".
The cars ARE complete rollers (sans tires) when they leave Port Elizabeth. The dealer adds tires, "preps" the chassis ("prep" is a term that varies from dealer to dealer but there is an SPF prep form to follow).

All dealers learn more as time goes on. I have learned from talking to dealers and customers. In my opinion a proper "prep" on a MK III is about 8-16 hours of checking fasteners, hooking the electrical system up to electrons and testing to bleeding brakes and clutch.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 12-31-2009, 04:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

Ward:
Did you hear the same thing about other manufactures (ERA, Backdraft, Unique, etc.) or just the SPF cars?

Is this just a clever way to trash their reputation?

Bob
Old 12-31-2009, 05:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Oh no, I've decided a SPF is the Cobra for me. I mean no offense to SPF. I'm sure the other manufactures have their little issues, but I wasn't particularly interested in them. Maybe others are and it would be interesting to hear from all owners. Seems like many of the issues could come from the installer. I don't mean to expose anyone's dirty laundry. Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2009, 05:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Well, you asked. SPF 2932.

1. Leaking intake manifold gasket, Installer fixed it.
2. Front wheels out of balance, one wheel slightly out of round. Had to have the fronts balanced on the car to fix it.
3. Leaking oil pressure line. I fixed it.
4. Horn not connected. I fixed it.
5. Stuck thermostat. Installer fixed it.
6. Blown sidepipe gaskets. I fixed them.
7. Oil temp gauge stopped working. I replaced it.
8. Side mirror loose. Installer fixed it.
9. Speedo cable jumps. Greased cable, slowed it down a bit.
10.Rear tires rubbing on wheel well. I adjusted the ride height.

So far, in four months, this is all the little things that I have had to deal with. Just a part of the ownership experience I guess. I went through the same things with my last Cobra. That's half of the fun of owning one of these cars.
Getting them sorted out.

Last edited by jhv48; 01-06-2010 at 12:02 PM..
Old 12-31-2009, 07:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
Well, you asked. SPF 2932.
9. Speedo cable jumps. Greased cable, slowed it down a bit.
Most all those issues are either dealer or installer generated. the dealer does the tires and the installer most all the prep, especially ops checking the function of all components. While the horn may not have been connected at the factory, it wasn't stated either way, it should never have gotten to the point of delivery(you) with that. I can't speak for the current procedures, but at one time if something was amiss and it is brought to the attention of the dealership/factory, it is/was dealt with as it should be.
Now, as far as the speedo cable...I found on the Coupe that the inner cable was just a bit too long. I remedied the jumping by just releasing the tension on the the speedo end of the cable. At some point I will likely remove it and cut a small bit off, but 6 years and 12,000+ miles it is still working fine and the cable nut hasn't backed off any. That would fall into a factory problem,much the same as the Coupe wiper problems I engineered out. Not sure on the speedo,but the wiper issue is a direct result of modifying a production piece from an existing car, something that is common among small bulders.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANAVIA View Post
Woodz -- what FRPP engine went in your coupe >?
I build and maintain all forms of Bikes and Cars and wanted the easiest to maintain engine for a Touring car. I put in a hydraulic lifter 360HP 351W w/6 speed. Never had 1 issue and it still sounds and runs as sweet as when I first lit her up. Cruising at about 80-85 I get over 20mpg, aerodynamics don't hurt. It'll pull 6 gear down to about 2000-2500 rpm without bucking and accelerate away without downshifting, so it's got a nice flat torque band. I will probably move down from the 750 that's on it to something around 650cfm. The engine is no longer offered,but may still be available through some outlets. I'd recommend it to anyone that wanted a nice powerful engine that you weren't planning on tracking. Although I did run it at Run and Gun a few years ago, took 1st in the road event, so it's a pretty well balanced set up. I've installed a few Roush engines and while Roush has a good name and great follow up, I wouldn't have traded my lowly engine even up for either of the 402s I installed.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Woodz that's Awesome -- I love it when stuff works !

And I bet oil consumption is minimal ---if at all. -- !

I looked up that parts combination and it is rock solid.

9.0 compression (run whatever fuel you want)
GT40 Aluminum Heads
E303 Camshaft
1.6 Rockers

Any idea where they indexed the E303 >?
Old 12-31-2009, 10:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
3. Leaking oil pressure line. I fixed it.
I had the same problem with the leaking oil pressure line. I ended up changing the nylon hose to an AN line (base on a recommendation from a fellow owner). Completely resolved all leaks at the block.

Here's a link to all of the pieces that you'll need to replace the line.

Best way to access back of oil pressure gauge

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it

Tags
repairs, spf, superformance