Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2010, 09:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 707, 446ci FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Clayton View Post
red and blue fittings from disco era?????
How about red and blue fittings from the Cobra era?????
As far as I've ever been able to determine, the red and blue anodized aircraft fittings didn't show up in cars until at least the mid-1970s and didn't become common until the early '80s.

Can you produce a era pic of these fittings on Cobras or equivalent cars?

= Si Opus Quadratum vis, angulos praecidere noli. =
Old 04-01-2010, 10:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

The AN fittings were around race cars way going back after WW2 and Korea--By 1970 we were running hard lines with the 37* AN adapters--and any era pics would be black and white!!!!
You can look at the pics of my dragster in my gallery for evidence of 1970 leading edge plumbing using BLUE AN nuts, sleeves and adapter fittings.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm not necessarily arguing, Jerry, but I've never seen anything but anecdotal evidence that the red and blue fittings were used before about 1975. A pic of any era car NOW is dependent on someone's statement that it was that way back when.

There ARE color photos of these cars in the 1950s and 60s. Those I've seen show silver fittings only, sometimes brass. In my experience, the colored AN fittings were new and kewl racer tech around the mid-1970s, not before. (My personal recollections don't go back to the Cobra era, but my dad was a racer in the 1950s and I grew up around various performance cars and engines, none of which had those fittings.)

I would genuinely appreciate a positive, non-anecdotal proof of red/blues in use in the original Cobra era. A dateable era photo would be sufficient. Even a good enough b/w photo would show something other than silver or black.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The pics of my car were in Hot Rod Mag in fall of 1970---is that dated enough???
Old 04-01-2010, 11:47 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Why don't we just ask Computerworks? Asking him a question like that is like asking a dog to bark.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Just so everybody knows, the Easy-Off was not an April Fool's joke. I went back and found the reference. ENTDOC usually gave pretty good advice, so I'm inclined to believe him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
You may not like the oven cleaner bit as when finished it leaves a dullish, somewhat oxidized look. If you try to wire wheel to remove it, that will gall the fitting. Just replace with Aeroquip nickle if it bugs you.
Why do you think I said that? It's not a joke, it's old as the hills and I did it 15 years ago. I had tried to save you a lot of work and disappointment. Are you therefore disinclined to believe me?

Last edited by ERA Chas; 04-01-2010 at 11:54 AM..
Old 04-01-2010, 11:54 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Why do you think I said that? It's not a joke' it's old as the hills and I did it 15 years ago. I had tried to save you a lot of work and disappointment. Are you therefore disinclined to believe me?
No, I believe you. But if I'm going to replace them anyway, wouldn't it make sense to try the Easy Off first? And if it looked like shi_, well I was going to replace them anyway....
Old 04-01-2010, 12:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
No, I believe you. But if I'm going to replace them anyway, wouldn't it make sense to try the Easy Off first? And if it looked like shi_, well I was going to replace them anyway....
The logic makes sense but the practice makes it a total PIA and not worth the effort. You can't just disconnect the fitting, mask the area and spray away. The $hit is caustic and will eat everything it touches and stain the braided line.. So the the fittings need to be removed from their lines and soaked in a bath of it. Then brass-brushed and rinsed with water. Then you have cloudy, oxidized-looking fittings.

Just plan on emptying the oil system and replace with nickle fittings all at once-you're hours and labor ahead. Changing the tons of braided line for black Startlite hose will save weight and work fine-they're rated for 300psi and are much easier to bend and work with.

OR-leave well enough alone-they don't leak. A beige car with two roll bars can get away with red/blue/silver chotchkies sprinkled about.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:25 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
OR-leave well enough alone-they don't leak. A beige car with two roll bars can get away with red/blue/silver chotchkies sprinkled about.
Hmmm, maybe you're right....
Old 04-01-2010, 12:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Clayton View Post
The pics of my car were in Hot Rod Mag in fall of 1970---is that dated enough???
Sure. But it's five-six years past the Cobra era and into the earliest era I'd take someone's word the fittings were in use on cars.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
I would genuinely appreciate a positive, non-anecdotal proof of red/blues in use in the original Cobra era. A dateable era photo would be sufficient. Even a good enough b/w photo would show something other than silver or black.
I have photos from the 60's showing blue fittings. I recall some Coupe pics I have from 1965 showing blue fittings.

...not the bright blue of today...more a turquoise blue, but nevertheless....blue.

No red, though.

Here is a 427 Comp car as delivered. Photo was taken in 1968

Old 04-01-2010, 12:50 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, that answers that. Woof-woof....
Old 04-01-2010, 12:52 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Woof-woof....
I ignored that. Don't poke the dog too often.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

But----we were leading the pack at getting rid of the heavier braided line in favor of lighter weight stainless and aluminum hard line---as used on jet aircraft then
Old 04-01-2010, 12:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

wow 4 posts in 2 minutes

that blue fitting is a 90* AN 37 degree to probably 3/4 npt--the hose is a 37* version of a cheap heavy double walled hydraulic hose that was commonly used on oil systems,
and most racers would have them replaced at the first oppurtunity.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

CW,,,uh,,, it was funny though.

...woof.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Brass? Hmmm. I'm at the point now where if I don't like the original look, I say "screw it" -- I think I hit that three seconds after the second roll bar holes got drilled. Got any shots of what the brass fittings look like?
I believe the fittings that couple the hard fuel line to the log and also the hard fuel line to the mechanical fuel pump are brass. I don't have them yet though, they are in transit. But they are NOS, so they should be accurate. I will let you know when I get them.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 04-01-2010, 01:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Just so everybody knows, the Easy-Off was not an April Fool's joke. I went back and found the reference. ENTDOC usually gave pretty good advice, so I'm inclined to believe him.
I may give this a shot. Easier than replacing them. If I hate it, I can replace them anyway.

www.partskeeper.com
Old 04-01-2010, 01:08 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdoug View Post
I may give this a shot. Easier than replacing them. If I hate it, I can replace them anyway.
That's an excellent idea. I think you should get on that this weekend and post pics no later than Sunday night.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
The logic makes sense but the practice makes it a total PIA and not worth the effort. You can't just disconnect the fitting, mask the area and spray away. The $hit is caustic and will eat everything it touches and stain the braided line.. So the the fittings need to be removed from their lines and soaked in a bath of it. Then brass-brushed and rinsed with water. Then you have cloudy, oxidized-looking fittings.

Just plan on emptying the oil system and replace with nickle fittings all at once-you're hours and labor ahead. Changing the tons of braided line for black Startlite hose will save weight and work fine-they're rated for 300psi and are much easier to bend and work with.

I retract my previous statement about trying Easy-Off first.....

www.partskeeper.com