Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-16-2010, 06:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None. Yet.
Not Ranked     
Default Soon to be a new Superformance owner - a question for you guys

Hey all,

As you can see, I've been lurking in these forums for *gasp* almost 11 years. It looks like I'm selling my beloved 1967 Ford Mustang 2+2 today. I've always said that I'd never sell that car unless it meant getting a Cobra. Well, here I am. The only thing that keeps me from breaking into man-tears over the sale of my Mustang is the thought of a new Cobra.

I used to think that I'd get a Factory Five, but time, experience, and arguably the lack of both has resulted in me looking for a roller (though I really want to build an FFR spec racer one day). I'm also more interested in authenticity than I am all out track performance, so I think the Superformance MkIII probably meets my needs more than an FFR does. I'm also going to keep my ear to the ground on the new Hurricanes, but I suspect that a Superformance is in my future.

I'm hoping to learn from the experience that you guys have garnered. I'm wondering if you could share anything that you've learned about SPFs (and Cobras in general) that you wish you had known before getting into the hobby. Any advice is much appreciated.

So far, here's what I'm thinking I want in a new Cobra:

- 15" wheels with Goodyear Gumballs - I love that old school race look!
- Dark Silver / Silver stripes - It looks great, and the resale value seems good on this combo. Maybe white on blue instead (authenticity and all)
- A stroked 351W (408? 427?) rather than a big block. I know it's not authentic, but the weight benefit from stoplight to stoplight would be fun
- Quick-jack bumpers rather than hoops. Not sure why, I just like it that way.
- Stainless > Chrome/Nickel
- The rest I'm still considering...
Old 05-16-2010, 06:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

You have an email.

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 05-16-2010, 06:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

I like that you've done your homework !

Have fun !!!
Old 05-16-2010, 07:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I bought SPO2895 from Keith Craft about two months ago. Keith built and installed a 351W engine stroked to 427 cubic inches. The engine Dyno'ed at 580 horsepower and 590 torque, sounds fabulous, runs perfectly, and puts out more power than I will ever use or need.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

I have a 302 stroked to 354 c.i. making 400 hp with 416 tq to the rear wheels. I'm close to the power of a 408. I cruise with a couple of buddies who have stroked FE's with 600 hp plus at the flywheel.

Quote:
A stroked 351W (408? 427?) rather than a big block. I know it's not authentic, but the weight benefit from stoplight to stoplight would be fun

You will not know the different from the green light! The weight? Handling? On the street you will not notice the different's. Racing, that's a different animal. I drive their Cobras and they are quick. From 0 to 140 you are set back in the seat.

We have a couple of 408's in the group. The 408 would be a great choice for a Cobra. I wished I had gone with the 408 first. It would cost me to much to change now and I have about 500 at the flywheel with the motor I have. And I have lot of low end torque.

408 or FE, both are great motors. You cannot go wrong with either.

Dwight
Old 05-16-2010, 07:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     

While it is tempting to build, if finances are a factor, and I realize for many folks on this site they are not, you can really save some $ by buying a slightly used Cobra. Take some of the money you save and add the little things you especially want. When dreaming about your perfect Cobra, there is a list of gotta haves. Once you get your Cobra, some of those gottas don't matter anymore. I bought a 3 year old with <2k miles for $30k less than the seller had invested. That's like a swinging deal! Buying a Cobra is a game changer in life. You will be amazed!
Old 05-16-2010, 07:35 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile Used??

I agree with WardL

Joe just bought a SPF with a FE and TKO last week for less than a roller. It's loaded with all the good stuff. A great buy. He saved enough money to repaint it or replace the motor if he wanted to.

Lots of great deals out there. Stop and shop

And he will pick it up soon and be driving it. Big plus.
Dwight
Old 05-16-2010, 07:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default Knowing what I know now...

After 2 years and 6K miles...I WOULD BUY A USED ONE....and save myself some money and some trouble....these are not kit cars in the sense that they have been built by god knows who using god knows what ... so you can find a very good used one...when I bought mine (new) I assumed that a new car would be less trouble...that was not true in my case...perhaps others(most?) had better " luck ". I would likely buy one in here that has been debugged and registered, licensed and insured. I do not like to screw around with cars ...I want to put gas in them and go...I want them to be trouble free....mine was a pain in the ass and still has squeaks and leaks... Having said that, these cars are a rush unlike any other car I have ever driven and on the right road and the right weather (think motorcycle) I still get excited about driving it...edited to add that ...make sure you are honest about how you are going to drive it and that will help you decide on the performance choices...in my case, I cannot approach 50% of the car's potential....welcome to the madness...bart

Last edited by Bartruff1; 05-16-2010 at 07:42 AM..
Old 05-16-2010, 07:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

+1 on the buy used comments. I bought my Superformance used in 2006. It has been as bulletproof as my Miata. That was a big surprise to me. These are well put together cars. Find one set up the way you want, check it out and pull the trigger.

You can save a lot of $. The market is good for buyers.

Nothing wrong with buying new either.

Jack
Old 05-16-2010, 07:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     

I agree you seem to be doing your home work. Lots of good responses on building a roller vs buying used. Both make a lot of sense but it really comes down to what you want. Lots of guys like the excitement of having the motor they want built, then installing it and doing all the other stuff. Others just want to buy and go drive. Both approaches are great depending on you. I've had 6 cobras with 4 being rollers the others bought or traded as used vehicles. You can save some money buying used especially in this market but I never can seem to find the combination I'm looking for ie; the motor I want with the color combination. Just some things to consider but the good news is you are ready to pull the trigger after watching and listening for 11 years. I have fun as the whole process is a gas!!!

By the way, great group of Cobra owners in Austin so attend a few of their monthly lunches and discuss your needs and wants.......
Old 05-16-2010, 08:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2056, 515 HP ROUSH 402R
Not Ranked     

After looking for a Cobra for many months, and years, I purchased a new Superformance from Lance @ Hillbank. That was 5 years ago. Engine is 402 Roush 515 HP and over 500 lbs, ft of trq. I have never had any problems with the car, the engine, or the dealer and would not hesitate to get in my car and drive to New York right now. The fit, finish and quality of this car is amazing. The car has been on the track, long distance cruising and stop light to stop light. You will not be unhappy with your choice. Do it as fast as you can, and enjoy!!!!
Old 05-16-2010, 08:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Many thanks to all for the replies. I think my research goes back over 25 years when my dad brought me to the Contemporary Classic factory in Mamaroneck, NY. I've wanted a Cobra ever since! I've had a 56 Bel-Air, 68 Mustang convertible, and 67 Mustang Fastback since then. I've loved them all, but a Cobra is what I've always really wanted.

It seems that going used probably makes the most sense. I sure didn't get out of my Mustang what I put into it, and I can't imagine a Cobra being any different. While I may have to spend some extra time looking for the right car, what's a few more years!?
Old 05-16-2010, 09:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2056, 515 HP ROUSH 402R
Not Ranked     

Having some health problems over the last few years, I thought I'd wait also. That time can never be recovered, and each time I fire up my car I realize it makes me feel better each day. Waiting only prolongs the decision you have already made. Do it now. Will you ever find the "right car"?
Old 05-16-2010, 10:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

DrivinWest,

I am also looking to buy my first SPF. Have a deposit in on a used one and am hoping to complete the deal in a week or so. Need to collect on a car I'm selling to actually finalize the deal. Beautiful summers are short here in Michigan, and life keeps moving on by - I'm glad to have taken the plunge! And, buying used is fairly low risk in terms of resale. If I don't like it, I can likely get out from under it for most everything I paid if I have patience.

While doing my search, I came across "Jake" here on the forums. Jake is located in Atlanta and is causally selling a 2007 SPF, Blue/White Stripes, Roush 427R, 2200 miles . If you are seriously looking, I would take a long hard look at Jake's car. The only reason I didn't is the local car I put a deposit in on is pretty much the same thing, only Titanium in color.

Good luck! Send me a PM if you need more info on finding Jake.

- Jeffrey
Old 05-16-2010, 10:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKIII, SPO2891, SPO1649
Not Ranked     
Default So what's with the Thread Title Then?

Soon to be a new Superformance owner?

I don't think you will be ready, ever. I go with what BRYCE said, just take the plunge now, a few more years are just agony, especially lurking in here, if you don't have a Cobra yet. That is bordering on massochism.

You will find out that if you wait a few more years, you will come back here again with: Soon to be a new Superformance owner, and not be ready still.

Just do it... NOW. You just need someone to push you into one of these MKIIIs and turn the key, you will be crying like a little baby wanting one right now, I'm sure. I'm on my third Cobra.

Call my friend Curt Scott at Cobra Country, he's got one for you right now, er, actually quite a few...

2432 Crittenden Drive, Suite 201
Louisville, KY 40217
http://www.kentuckycobraclub.com
juan@lbrdesign.com
502-558-2904
Old 05-16-2010, 11:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I could not agree more than what Bartruff has said. Buying used has substantial advantages, you touch, drive, feel the car. Make no mistake YOU WILL HAVE PROBLEMS regardless of what brand you buy. You can play the hand jerk off with dealers and vendors for warranty as you car sits for week if not months or you can buy used at a $5-10K discount and get it fixed at your convenience and your shop. The only vendor I have had postivie experiences is as far as engines to this point is Keith Craft, he is lost in the 50's or something because every single time you call his shop an actual person answers the phone and he is usually within 10 feet of it, WTF buisness plan is that??? I like waiting on answering machines and "techs" guessing at questions, what else would I have to do?

Once again BUY USED!!!! Have inspected, look at each panel, identify all marks, nicks, when you get home you know what you have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartruff1 View Post
After 2 years and 6K miles...I WOULD BUY A USED ONE....and save myself some money and some trouble....these are not kit cars in the sense that they have been built by god knows who using god knows what ... so you can find a very good used one...when I bought mine (new) I assumed that a new car would be less trouble...that was not true in my case...perhaps others(most?) had better " luck ". I would likely buy one in here that has been debugged and registered, licensed and insured. I do not like to screw around with cars ...I want to put gas in them and go...I want them to be trouble free....mine was a pain in the ass and still has squeaks and leaks... Having said that, these cars are a rush unlike any other car I have ever driven and on the right road and the right weather (think motorcycle) I still get excited about driving it...edited to add that ...make sure you are honest about how you are going to drive it and that will help you decide on the performance choices...in my case, I cannot approach 50% of the car's potential....welcome to the madness...bart
Old 05-16-2010, 02:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2920 w/ Keith Craft 408
Not Ranked     

Go for it. I can understand your excitement. My new car (SPF 2920) is sitting at the dealer right now waiting for my Keith Craft 408 street crate motor (which is being built right now).

I bought new because I generally keep my toys for a long time. Buy good stuff (Superformance and Keith Craft) and you should be rewarded with a great experience. I’m confident that any minor issues, should they arise, will be taken care of appropriately.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Voyager; 05-16-2010 at 02:49 PM..
Old 05-16-2010, 02:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Love it! You guys are keeping me on the path that means a Cobra sooner rather than later!

I'm "only" 33 (which seems young on this forum - I'm the old man over on Saab92x.com), and recently married, so once we buy a house I'll be on to the Cobra. The house has to come first as at present I don't even have a place to put the car! Fortunately she's all for the Cobra.

I will wait for the right Cobra, but what constitutes right is something that I'm somewhat flexible about.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ditto on the positive comments about Keith Craft. Days after I bought my SPF from him, when I had a problem (not a biggie, radiator fan electrical connection), he returned my call at about 8 PM at night, got me set up with a guy in the Dallas area who fixed it that night. I'm a fan.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:29 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivinWest View Post
Many thanks to all for the replies. I think my research goes back over 25 years when my dad brought me to the Contemporary Classic factory in Mamaroneck, NY. I've wanted a Cobra ever since! I've had a 56 Bel-Air, 68 Mustang convertible, and 67 Mustang Fastback since then. I've loved them all, but a Cobra is what I've always really wanted.

It seems that going used probably makes the most sense. I sure didn't get out of my Mustang what I put into it, and I can't imagine a Cobra being any different. While I may have to spend some extra time looking for the right car, what's a few more years!?
Used is the way to go when buying a Cobra.........When looking at used SPF's, I suggest a chassis number above 1400 as they have the majority of the early chassis bugs worked out at the factory by then. Might I also suggest that you check shock mounts (cannot remember if the issue was fronts or rears), check with the SCOF folks as they are up on all this stuff). Most of all, relax, take your time, and you'll find that sometimes the hunt is half the fun.

Yours In Fords,

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS