Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-28-2010, 02:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Check SCOF

You or your dealer needs to check the SCOF website. Thx. db #2723
Old 08-28-2010, 04:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2920 w/ Keith Craft 408
Not Ranked     

Don,

Done - joined SCOF 5 min ago.

However….

"Your Superformance Owners Association Membership payment has been sent and will be processed as soon as possible. Your password membership will be sent to you email in 2-4 weeks"

what.... 2-4 weeks????

Can I see information applicable temp gauge spiking info now??? I can pm you my email address.

Bob
Old 08-28-2010, 05:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

...in two to four weeks SPF could loose their Shelby endorsment, or so "rumor has it".

Acutally the "rumor" is more like 2 to 4 months, you heard it here first.

I was just talking to a guy at SAAC-35 who had a crack in his expansion tank on an FE. Of course they crack and leak, they do that a LOT. THAT is why I'm going to run Evans waterless coolant and a near zero pressure system, save my expansion tank, hoses, fittings, head gaskets, intake gaskets, spiking temp gauges and all the other evils associated with water and pressure. That's dinosaur technology, give it up, water systems suck.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:38 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
...in two to four weeks SPF could loose their Shelby endorsment, or so "rumor has it".

Aw, common Ernie. This crap is beneath you. I hear rumors that say California will fall into the Pacific in 3-4 weeks!

I could tell you the real story, but then I would have to kill you............

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 08-28-2010, 06:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post

I was just talking to a guy at SAAC-35 who had a crack in his expansion tank on an FE. Of course they crack and leak, they do that a LOT. THAT is why I'm going to run Evans waterless coolant and a near zero pressure system, save my expansion tank, hoses, fittings, head gaskets, intake gaskets, spiking temp gauges and all the other evils associated with water and pressure. That's dinosaur technology, give it up, water systems suck.
What does the licensing deal between Shelby and SPF have to do with a bad gauge?

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 08-28-2010, 07:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Replace the thermostat!
Old 09-19-2010, 08:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Now have 800 miles on Superformance/KC 408 engine. I’m still experiencing sporadic short-term overheating. The gauge temporarily spikes under optimal conditions (like steady 45 mph cruise), and then comes right back down to normal within a couple minutes.

Will go get a new thermostat and surge/expansion tank cap.

What temp thermostat…180?

What pressure expansion tank cap…13 psi?

Bob
Old 09-20-2010, 12:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2535 Indigo with White Stripes and Roush 427 SR
Not Ranked     

I had a similar but not exactly the same problem. Turned out to be a intermittantly failing radiator cap. It would randomly loose and then retain pressure. Consider replacing the cap. They are cheap enough.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ok. I think I may have found the reason for my wildly fluctuating water temps on my new KCR 408 crate motor. Pls see photo below. Appears that I do not have a water bypass hose. Is that correct and could this be the reason I get greatly fluctuating water temps? Also picked up a Mr. Gasket Balanced Thermostat (180). Will try to put it in next weekend.

Bob
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2010, 03:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

One of the things Evan's coolant recommends, for max cooling affect, is to block off the by-pass hose. Based on that I would have to guess a by-pass is a non-critical component when it comes to cooling. It may even prevent max cooling because of it's recirculation flow.

I think it's primary function is to supply hot water quicker to the heater/defroster (on normal cars)?
Old 09-26-2010, 03:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Bypass is to allow water to always circulate and not allow pump to cavitate. I do not think that is your problem. Is the port on the water pump blocked off? I wonder if you have the correct water pump, maybe you have reverse rotation instead of standard rotation.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The water pump has 2 ports. One goes to the heater and the other has a plug in it. The water pump is an Edelbrock 351W spec'ed by Keith Craft. Drove it last weekend in the 90s and the temps would shoot up from 80C to 100-110. Turing the heater on brought them back down to normal. Next weekend I’ll try the new thermostat and see what happens.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LoneStar LS427 , 427 Windsor
Not Ranked     

I'd bet the lack of a bypass is exactly your problem.

Without the bypass there is no circulation within the engine when the thermostat is closed. In that case, you can have boiling water/steam in the heads while the water near the thermostat (and temp sender) is still relatively cool. Once the heat gradually migrates into the intake manifold the thermostat opens and you get a scalding blast past the temperature sender. The water then circulates through the radiator and everything cools down. The thermostat closes and the cycle repeats.

Turning on the heater provides an alternate bypass.

Add a bypass hose. Soon!

Jim
Old 09-26-2010, 08:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

The bypass hose allows water to circulate through the block while the thermostat is closed. It allows for a more even warm up without hot spots. You indeed may have a sticking thermostat. You should consider using a "Balanced Thermostat" style thermostat. Better flow and I believe they fail "open". Would be interesting to run without a thermostat and see if the temp spiking still occurs. Be sure to install any new thermostat with the weep holes on the flange at the top and install the thermostat in the correct spring orientation. (engine vs. radiator)

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 09-26-2010, 08:15 PM
Regularly Offensive
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf
Not Ranked     

How about posting a few pictures of your engine so we can see which water lines you have or don't have............

something like this

Too close for missles, switching to guns.........
Old 09-26-2010, 08:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Is this 408 a 351W block, bored and stroked of course?

351C requires a by-pass style thermostat. BUT, some after market 351C water pumps don't have the by-pass hole in them, in which case, the by-pass is blocked off due to the pump. It doesn't matter then what t-stat you use, by-pass or regular. Jaguars and Hemi's are two other examples of engines that use a by-pass style thermostat.

Being it's a KC engine I guess Keith would know what kind of pump and t-stat were in play here and why, apparently, the hose by-pass is blocked. Perhaps a call is in order...
Old 09-26-2010, 08:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LoneStar LS427 , 427 Windsor
Not Ranked     

Based on the picture, it's a Windsor.

If it's a Windsor and it has a thermostat, it needs the bypass hose.

The Cleveland's bypass is internal and is progressively blocked as the thermostat opens.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The point I was trying to make is, just because it's a Windsor doesn't mean it HAS to have a by-pass. It depends on the heads and water pump if the stock style by-pass would even work. Put Cleveland style heads on your Windsor and you won't have a working by-pass. I'm thinking KC had a reason for blocking off the by-pass, which by the way, is NOT required for any engine, it's just nice to have for a street engine. Closing it off will increase over all water flow gpm (increasing cooling capacity).

I don't think it has anything to do with the problem this thread is addressing. I'm thinking the primary problem is: Air in the system or a sticking thermostat which is opening/closing erratically.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:36 PM
Regularly Offensive
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf
Not Ranked     

Barnsnake that is my engine, I am trying to get him to take one like it........mine has the by pass. I am trying to see if his does.

Too close for missles, switching to guns.........
Old 09-27-2010, 04:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Will post some additional pictures of the engine water lines tonight.

Will put the "Balanced Thermostat" in this weekend.

Will call KC later today.