Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-19-2010, 11:03 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     
Angry Broken headers and side pipes.

This is the second year in a row that I have had this problem.

Last year I replaced the side pipes as it was easier than trying to have the stock ones welded up. This year both the side pipes and the headers are cracked. The cracks are at the flanges where the headers and side pipes meet up.

Anyone else have this problem or know what is causing it?

Also, do I need to pull the engine to get the headers our, or can I just raise the engine to do it?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:13 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I forgot to mention, it's a 460 motor.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 460 SVO
Not Ranked     

did or do you have poly engine mounts? maybe the motor is rocking to much and causing the cracks. Olthoff and Craig Aylsworth has some nice engine mounts
Old 12-19-2010, 03:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It has the Olthoff poly mounts, so that's not the issue.

I may machine up some solid ones to eliminate all movement.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 460 SVO
Not Ranked     

I don't know for sure, but check your tranny mount. maybe under hard accel, the tranny is moving and straining the weld on the header flanges.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:13 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calbullet View Post
I don't know for sure, but check your tranny mount. maybe under hard accel, the tranny is moving and straining the weld on the header flanges.
Thanks for mentioning that. It's still the stock rubber one and does move a fair amount.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1989 KCC from South Africa Right Hand Drive
Not Ranked     

When you bolt up the side pipes they need to be free from any tension.. What you should really do is mount the mountings to the sidepipes first,,,and then install and once you have evrything nice with no tension ..then weld the brackets to the frame...remember these are custom cars... you can't expect to just bolt everything up and hope that it will work........a little thought is necessary...
Old 12-19-2010, 05:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of SPF#2632
Not Ranked     

John - I will bet $1 that stock tranny mount is cracked. Mine cracked after 500 miles...the part was made in India and very very flimsy (I also have the Olthoff Motor mounts...great investment). Could be a possible cause. I switched to the Poly Trans Mount sold by Cobra Valley...worth every penny. My pipes dont move at all.

http://performanceunlimited.com/cobr...ransmount.html

I believe you will have to jack the motor up some to get one header out.

Last edited by ekrupa2; 12-19-2010 at 05:47 PM.. Reason: Added information
Old 12-19-2010, 06:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Eric,

My trans mounts appear to be fine after 9k miles, but I'm going to go ahead and change them out to the Perf Unlimited mounts. Are they a direct replacement? Is it an easy job?

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 12-19-2010, 07:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of SPF#2632
Not Ranked     

Doug - your installer may have used a better mount than the one I was supplied in my install kit. The swap is simple...probably 15 - 20 minutes. I did have to shim mine a bit. to keep the driveline angles in check.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1436 514
Not Ranked     

I am around 36,000 miles with a 514. I haven't had any cracking on the headers or side pipes. I did replace the motor mounts at 14k miles with stock ones and had to replace the end support mounts on the side pipes once. I just replaced the trans mount since it was starting to crack. No big deal. I have around 600hp with my motor set up
Scott
Old 12-19-2010, 08:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS 427, Keith Craft 501,Toploader
Not Ranked     

Easy fix by doing one or two things...
1) Strap your enging down to the frame.
2) Use rubber muffler hangers to attach the end of your pipes to your frame.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

May be as simple as a fabrication error with the header and sidepipes, to much heat, not good weld penetration. Find a rig welder in your town, go to the bars on a rainey day and look for the welding truck, give him $50 to swing by your house and make the repairs.

This is the first I have ever heard of this.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison 427SC 302 smallblock. 431 stroker in the works, tremec 3550
Not Ranked     

Make sure your hangars on the rear of the side pipes aren't too stiff. I used the straps that were supplied with the side pipes. They're made of old tire sidewalls and only about 1" wide and 1/4" thick and 2 1/2" long. At the time I thought they were kinda flimsy and intended to change them with something more robust, but that was 14 years ago and they've worked very well. No problems.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

We havent seen any cracking of headers and / or sidepipes. -- wearing out mufflers yes, --but cracks at the flange NO.

Doug, post a pic of your mount, or we can put it in the air for you.
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 12-22-2010, 02:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My daughter has my camera so I cannot take pictures at the moment. She is coming over for Christmas, so I will take and post pictures then.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:36 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

I do not have the same car, but I have had this problem.

I put two piece of hard rubber at the end flange and sort of shock mounted the side pipe.

This allows the pipe to move a little more without shaking the seat and without stressing the flange to the headers.

The other thing I noticed was my first motor mounts were too soft and would allow the engine to rock a lot. I changed to a harder mount. BTW,this took a lot of time as I had to shop around to find harder mounts.

Just my three cents worth.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Okay, let me see if I can tell the whole story this time.

Last year I pulled off the stock SPF pipes as I was having a problem with popping when I let off the throttle. I figured it was bad gaskets. When I pulled of the side pipes I could see that the welds and pipes were cracked.

I had read enough stories about how restrictive the stock SPF side pipe were, so I ordered new ones from Stainless Specialities. I installed those pipes last winter at this time.

At that time I used the SPF style flange gaskets. After we returned from our vacation this year, the popping had come back. This time I ordered the Remflex gaskets and installed them. No change, it still popped. I should mention that I did not remove the side pipes. All I did was remove the old gaskets and install the new ones. While it did not sound like I had a leak at the header to head, I decided I would just replace everything this time.

When I pulled the side pipes, I looked at the welds and sure enough, they are cracked at the point where the flange meets the pipes. Okay, that upset me, but it's not the end of the world. Then I started looking at the headers. Same problem. In fact one of the pipes is cracked for a good inch inboard of the flange. I'm not even going to try to save them. I'm going to just order new ones. The side pipes I will try to have welded up as none of the cracks extend into the tubes themselves.

I have poly motor mounts so that's not the issue. However the transmission mount is still stock. I will probably replace it. I'm even thinking of machining up some solid motor mounts so the motor does not move at all.

The aft mounts on the side pipes to the body are in good shape and not cracked or broken. I'm also real careful to make sure they are aligned prior to final tightening of the bolts. So I don't think that is an issue.

Right now I believe I'm over tightening the bolts and causing the issue, however I'm still open to ideas.

By the way, it's a 460 motor, and the passenger side header will come out through the bottom. The drivers side will take a little more work. I'm guessing I will have to jack up the motor approximately 1.5 to 2.0 inches and it will also drop out the bottom.

My daughter has my camera at the moment so I will not be able to get any pictures until Christmas day when they come over.

Right now I'm looking at ordering the headers from Hillbank. Are there any other options? If so, please let me know.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD-SPO2660, Southern Automotive 406FE, TKO-600
Not Ranked     

John, I am currently considering changing both my headers and sidepipes on my BB 406. I would like to go to a 2" header and 3" sidepipe. So far, Firefly Performance is my leading candidate as they seem to be good quality, have read some good reports, and understand they're made for the SPF. However, because of price I plan to see them and hear them first before I jump. My builder said I can do the driver's side with just removing the heat shields. I am still looking at options, but want to do something by Spring. So far my stock ones look fine, but they only have 2500 miles on them.

Good luck with your change out!

Have fun and enjoy life, because when it is over, it is too late!
Old 12-22-2010, 04:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If you are in the market for stainless steel sidepipes for a spf do yourself a big favor and wait 2 or 3 months. All I can say at this point.