Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-30-2012, 05:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: superformance 460/ stroked to 521
Not Ranked     
Default Period correct headlamps

Wondering what are the period correct headlamps for cobras,i have superformance #365 and it came with the flat headlamps with mini internal bulb inside below the main bulb? I have purchased the Lucas tri bar style lamps but am wondering what is the correct lamps for the cobra?
Old 03-30-2012, 06:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

What you are removing are the WIPAC headlamps that cam standard with the car. They contain a small parking (or running) light. That is your only lighting on the front of the car when you flip the headlight switch to the first position. Your 2 small lights below the headlights only function as turn signals. Hopefully the Lucas Tri-bars that you purchased ore 'dipped" in the proper directon for US roads, and that they also contain the small running lights... If not you'll need to do some modifications to the wiring and sockets on the front of the car... I've heard mixed reviews on the quality of the light pattern on Tri-bars. Some people are sadisified and some are not... price may determine the quality of the illumination. Keep us posted. Have you up'd the wattage of the bulbs in the new headlamps too? That may also give you some problems...
GLS-BDR226 likes this.

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 03-30-2012, 06:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     

I replaced the Tri bars on my ERA with Sylvannia Silverstars. The Lucas did not perform to my expectations.

They are in great shape and I would consider selling if you think they will meet your expectations.

John
Old 03-30-2012, 08:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #522
Not Ranked     

Sylvania upgrade bulbs in the Wipac lamps work very well. There's also an upgrade bulb for the running lamps.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1473 392 cu.in. titanium/black stripes
Not Ranked     

vatdevil,
Maybe you could post some part numbers and a source for these upgrades.
thanks,
Bob
Old 03-31-2012, 06:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #522
Not Ranked     

Silverstar Ultra bulb. I didn't save the receipt but it's a standard bulb that most any auto parts store stocks. Much brighter, whiter light ....same current draw.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Which kind of headlamps where used ot the 289 race cars?
- Lucas P700 Tripod
- "normal" flat shape

Many thanks for the clarification
Old 11-14-2012, 09:43 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Lucas Sealed beam is correct.................

Old 11-14-2012, 10:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi Jeff

This was my impresson to looking at the different books.

Lucas PL700 Tripods can be found at some UK cars (mainly 427 but not on race 289).

THANKS
Old 11-14-2012, 05:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AC cox 2699 roadster Riverside FIA RSR2001
Not Ranked     

Jeff,where did you find the protectors? I need another set after Watkins but can`t find any with the correct brkts.
Ross
Old 11-14-2012, 05:55 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside racer View Post
I need another set after Watkins
What, did something happen at the Glen?!?!?!

Where was I?

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 11-14-2012, 06:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside racer View Post
Jeff,where did you find the protectors? I need another set after Watkins but can`t find any with the correct brkts.
Ross
Have you tried Finish Line? I saw the protectors recently in their online catalog...and long gone is the old statement that they offer no technical support. There were brackets with the protectors, but I couldn't speak to the issue of whether they are the correct brkts for your application.

Good luck!

Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!
Old 11-14-2012, 07:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blas View Post
What you are removing are the WIPAC headlamps that cam standard with the car. They contain a small parking (or running) light. That is your only lighting on the front of the car when you flip the headlight switch to the first position. Your 2 small lights below the headlights only function as turn signals. Hopefully the Lucas Tri-bars that you purchased ore 'dipped" in the proper directon for US roads, and that they also contain the small running lights... If not you'll need to do some modifications to the wiring and sockets on the front of the car...Have you up'd the wattage of the bulbs in the new headlamps too? That may also give you some problems...
I had a blowout on the driver's side front tire recently that destroyed the Wipac headlight bucket and also launched the headlight trim ring into the next county....tire shards simply punched the headlight assembly right out the front of the fender and shattered the bucket.

I thought I was going to have to buy the parts directly from an online operator in England, then did a search on FleaBay and came up with a fellow who sells under the name of GBCarParts (something like that). Anyway, rather than buying what he offered on the evilbay, I contacted him directly through the "contact us" link on his website and got exactly what I needed for less than the shipping alone would have been from Great Brittain. I like the parts so much that soon I'll order another for the other side...the trim ring attaches MUCH more securely to the new part than to the existing part.

My car has the halogen bulb adaptor, so I went to my O'Reilly's and bought their brightest halogens...VERY happy with the results. My night vision is better now than with the new factory cars in the family...

It's an option if you're having trouble finding parts for any of the Brittish cars. I have no affiliation with the seller, just felt lucky that I managed to avoid the hellashous shipping charges from England and wanted to share the source with anyone who needs similar parts.

Dugly

Old 11-14-2012, 07:30 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4300, C5AE-H, Toploader
Not Ranked     

Moss motorsports recently sent out a flyer with new Lucas 7" headlights that replicate the vintage ones but with a couple of improvements. Check them out.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:37 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4300, C5AE-H, Toploader
Not Ranked     

Sorry Victoria British but New Lucas Headlights For Your MG, Spitfire, GT6, Sprite & Midget - Victoria British, Ltd.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:08 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Headlight Trim Rings with Stoneguards - $243.50 : Acton Custom Enterprises, Custom Metal for Cobras
Hi Ross this helps to protect them.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AC cox 2699 roadster Riverside FIA RSR2001
Not Ranked     

Thanks Nick. Good job. Did`nt think to look at your site.I would like a set please.Will contact you later
Ross
Old 11-15-2012, 04:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

They look awesome and are probably worth every cent of the $243.50US.

Has anyone experience with them and provide me some recommendations?

Thanks
ALF
Old 11-15-2012, 05:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmate View Post
Looks first class, Nick!!! Love the original look about them.....

Cheers!

Dugly

Old 11-15-2012, 06:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SAI; '68 427FESO Southern Automotive
Not Ranked     

I have Nick's set up. It is sturdy, shiny, and easy to install. Highly recommended: